Re: [News] Linux Reigns Planet Mars, Microsoft Shenanigans Stepping in - Linux

  1. Re: [News] Linux Reigns Planet Mars, Microsoft Shenanigans Stepping in

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Linux On Mars
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | When NASA needs an operating system for a Mars lander does it go
    > knocking on
    > | Bill Gates' door? The answer is no. The newly arrived on the planet
    > Phoenix
    > | Lander is powered by a variation of Linux running on a specially
    > hardened CPU
    > | and motherboard produced by IBM.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.bloggernews.net/116062

    Ahemm...vxWorks is *not* a variant of Linux. The lander is being run by
    vxWorks which is a RTOS. Some versions of vxWorks run Linux on a
    low-priority thread, but I doubt tht the lander has Linux running on it and
    if it did, they'd probably use it for less important tasks.

  2. Re: [News] Linux Reigns Planet Mars, Microsoft Shenanigans Steppingin

    Verily I say unto thee, that Jim Relsh spake thusly:

    > Ahemm...vxWorks is *not* a variant of Linux.

    Yes, this is neither Linux nor Free Software. The best that can be said
    about it is that it isn't Windows. It is UNIX-like, but that's as close
    as it gets. With only a 33MHz system NASA will definitely be running it
    natively on the Phoenix Lander, and not hosted.

    http://www.windriver.com/products/pr...rm-ve-Note.pdf

    http://contracts.corporate.findlaw.c...994.09.12.html

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    14:08:52 up 169 days, 10:44, 5 users, load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.08

+ Reply to Thread