HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.) - Linux

This is a discussion on HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.) - Linux ; June 06, 2008 For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't seen enough to convince it to do the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    June 06, 2008
    For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup

    Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't seen
    enough to convince it to do the same in the U.S.

    "While we have no additional Linux expansion plans at this time, we will
    continue to closely monitor demand for a standard, pre-loaded Linux PC
    offering for both consumers and business users in all of our regions around
    world," an HP spokeswoman says. The company offers Linux pre-loads on PCs in
    China and offers it on a case-by-case, customized installation for some
    customers of its business-class PC products. But no mainstream business PCs
    are pre-loaded with Linux in the U.S. and it's not on HP's public roadmap,
    either.

    http://www.crn.com/software/208402513

  2. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On 2008-06-06, Ezekiel wrote:

    > June 06, 2008
    > For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup
    >
    > Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    > mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't seen

    News to me?

    Did you guys hear about it?

    Did anyone in Australia hear about it?

    [deletia]

    Digg link?
    Slashdot article?
    Zdnet article?
    COLA posting?

    --
    Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their |||
    choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider. / | \

  3. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:53:17 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > June 06, 2008
    > For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup
    >
    > Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    > mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't seen
    > enough to convince it to do the same in the U.S.
    >
    > "While we have no additional Linux expansion plans at this time, we will
    > continue to closely monitor demand for a standard, pre-loaded Linux PC
    > offering for both consumers and business users in all of our regions around
    > world," an HP spokeswoman says. The company offers Linux pre-loads on PCs in
    > China and offers it on a case-by-case, customized installation for some
    > customers of its business-class PC products. But no mainstream business PCs
    > are pre-loaded with Linux in the U.S. and it's not on HP's public roadmap,
    > either.
    >

    > http://www.crn.com/software/208402513

    LMAO!

    Spamowitz seems to have missed this one along with Austria dumping their
    Linux migration.

    Low demand?

    Gee, who would have ever thought that Linux would have a low demand.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:02:16 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>> Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    >>> mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't
    >>> seen

    >> News to me?
    >>
    >> Did you guys hear about it?
    >>
    >> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?
    >>
    >> [deletia]
    >>
    >> Digg link?

    >> Slashdot article?

    >> Zdnet article?

    >> COLA posting?

    Game, Set, Match.....

    I guess Jebbediah couldn't get that up quick enough on his green screen.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On 2008-06-06, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> > Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    >> > mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't
    >> > seen

    >> News to me?
    >>
    >> Did you guys hear about it?
    >>
    >> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?
    >>
    >> [deletia]
    >>
    >> Digg link?

    >> Slashdot article?

    ....well, "mainstream" here is for SMBs. If it's anything like the
    Dell site, I can't imagine anyone finding them. Even the Dell site
    is a little problematic in that respect.

    Hiding them in the business section certainly isn't going to help.

    I also can't imagine that pre-loading Redhat helped.

    This seems more like the original round of half-hearted attempts to
    offer desktops with Linux as an option.

    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demandfor linux.)

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:51:22 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:02:16 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> News to me?
    >>>
    >>> Did you guys hear about it?
    >>>
    >>> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?
    >>>
    >>> [deletia]
    >>>
    >>> Digg link?

    >>> Slashdot article?

    >>> Zdnet article?

    >>> <http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/softwar...Linux-desktop-

    in-Australia/0,130061733,339281649,00.htm>

    >>> COLA posting?

    >>> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/

    msg/296b1eec170b07d7?hl=en&dmode=source>

    > Game, Set, Match.....
    >
    > I guess Jebbediah couldn't get that up quick enough on his green screen.

    So there is not enough demand in the US for HP to start a pilot program
    to pre-load Linux. So what?

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:15:57 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:51:22 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:02:16 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > in-Australia/0,130061733,339281649,00.htm>

    > msg/296b1eec170b07d7?hl=en&dmode=source>
    >>
    >> Game, Set, Match.....
    >>
    >> I guess Jebbediah couldn't get that up quick enough on his green screen.

    > So there is not enough demand in the US for HP to start a pilot program
    > to pre-load Linux. So what?

    Add in all the others who have ceased, or cutback on desktop Linux
    preloaded machines and just like the web stats that show desktop Linux to
    be a failure, a pattern starts to emerge.

    Walmart for example made a similar comment when it dumped 99 percent of
    it's Linux line.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > June 06, 2008
    > For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup
    >
    > Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    > mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't
    > seen enough to convince it to do the same in the U.S.
    >
    > "While we have no additional Linux expansion plans at this time, we will
    > continue to closely monitor demand for a standard, pre-loaded Linux PC
    > offering for both consumers and business users in all of our regions
    > around world," an HP spokeswoman says. The company offers Linux pre-loads
    > on PCs in China and offers it on a case-by-case, customized installation
    > for some customers of its business-class PC products. But no mainstream
    > business PCs are pre-loaded with Linux in the U.S. and it's not on HP's
    > public roadmap, either.
    >

    > http://www.crn.com/software/208402513

    This has only been lip service. It is neigh on impossible to actually get an
    HP laptop with Linux pre-loaded in Australia and even the new mini-laptop
    only comes with Vista Business in the Australian market. This is a case
    that makes no sense at all. If there was actually a trial, it looks like it
    was planned to fail from the beginning.

    This whole thing begs the question; "Why did they even make the
    announcement?" The only logical answer is to help their friends in Redmond
    with their marketing.

    Ian

  10. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demandfor linux.)

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:31:04 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:15:57 -0500, Rick wrote:

    desktop-
    >> in-Australia/0,130061733,339281649,00.htm>

    >> msg/296b1eec170b07d7?hl=en&dmode=source>
    >>>
    >>> Game, Set, Match.....
    >>>
    >>> I guess Jebbediah couldn't get that up quick enough on his green
    >>> screen.

    >> So there is not enough demand in the US for HP to start a pilot program
    >> to pre-load Linux. So what?

    > Add in all the others who have ceased, or cutback on desktop Linux
    > preloaded machines and just like the web stats that show desktop Linux
    > to be a failure, a pattern starts to emerge.

    Tell Novel and Red Hat that desktop Linux is a failure. I am sure they
    will be surprised, since so much of their business is based on desktop
    Linux.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:55:32 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:31:04 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > desktop-
    >>> in-Australia/0,130061733,339281649,00.htm>

    >>> msg/296b1eec170b07d7?hl=en&dmode=source>

    >>> So there is not enough demand in the US for HP to start a pilot program
    >>> to pre-load Linux. So what?

    >> Add in all the others who have ceased, or cutback on desktop Linux
    >> preloaded machines and just like the web stats that show desktop Linux
    >> to be a failure, a pattern starts to emerge.

    > Tell Novel and Red Hat that desktop Linux is a failure. I am sure they
    > will be surprised, since so much of their business is based on desktop
    > Linux.

    Earth to Rick...
    Redhat stopped selling consumer desktop Linux because there was no demand
    for it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:53:17 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> June 06, 2008
    >> For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup
    >>
    >> Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load
    >> Linux on mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant
    >> still hasn't seen enough to convince it to do the same in the U.S.
    >>
    >> "While we have no additional Linux expansion plans at this time, we
    >> will continue to closely monitor demand for a standard, pre-loaded
    >> Linux PC offering for both consumers and business users in all of
    >> our regions around world," an HP spokeswoman says. The company
    >> offers Linux pre-loads on PCs in China and offers it on a
    >> case-by-case, customized installation for some customers of its
    >> business-class PC products. But no mainstream business PCs are
    >> pre-loaded with Linux in the U.S. and it's not on HP's public
    >> roadmap, either.
    >>

    >> http://www.crn.com/software/208402513

    > LMAO!
    >
    > Spamowitz seems to have missed this one along with Austria dumping
    > their Linux migration.

    Amazing, eh? Spamowitz posts just about every Linux tidbit published in
    English... but he missed this important Linux pronouncement from the 2nd
    biggest OEM in the world. Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e?

    > Low demand?
    >
    > Gee, who would have ever thought that Linux would have a low demand.

    There's a very significant correlation between quality and demand...

  13. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On 2008-06-06, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-06-06, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >> June 06, 2008
    >> For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup
    >>
    >> Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    >> mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't seen

    > News to me?
    >
    > Did you guys hear about it?
    >
    > Did anyone in Australia hear about it?

    Not a word. Nothing in the Newspapers here, nada, zip.

    It's probably bull****.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  14. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-06-06, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> On 2008-06-06, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup
    >>>
    >>> Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    >>> mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't seen

    >> News to me?
    >> Did you guys hear about it?
    >> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?

    > Not a word. Nothing in the Newspapers here, nada, zip.
    > It's probably bull****.

    Of course it is bull****. It is HP. They should stick with printers
    and signal analyzers.

    --
    When we have the information highway, I'll put it [information about
    himself] out there. Everybody who wants to pay, I don't know, one cent, can

  15. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    "Gregory Shearman" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-06, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> On 2008-06-06, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>

    >>> June 06, 2008
    >>> For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup
    >>>
    >>> Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux
    >>> on
    >>> mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't
    >>> seen

    >> News to me?
    >>
    >> Did you guys hear about it?
    >>
    >> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?

    > Not a word. Nothing in the Newspapers here, nada, zip.

    Earth to hypocrites... you can't have it both ways. When HP announced their
    linux PC lineup it was mentioned here in COLA as a big deal. It was also
    mentioned on Digg , Slashdot and ZD-Net. You "advocates" had your panties
    wet with excitement about the news.

    Now that HP dumped linux you can't have it both ways and claim that it was
    never mentioned and its not a big deal. If it was a big deal at the time
    then it's a big deal now. Try to "man up" for a change and quit acting like
    a complete hypocrite.

    > It's probably bull****.

    Just like your whining and denial.

  16. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 09:25:19 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Gregory Shearman" wrote in message

    >>> News to me?
    >>>
    >>> Did you guys hear about it?
    >>>
    >>> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?

    >> Not a word. Nothing in the Newspapers here, nada, zip.

    > Earth to hypocrites... you can't have it both ways. When HP announced their
    > linux PC lineup it was mentioned here in COLA as a big deal. It was also
    > mentioned on Digg , Slashdot and ZD-Net. You "advocates" had your panties
    > wet with excitement about the news.
    >
    > Now that HP dumped linux you can't have it both ways and claim that it was
    > never mentioned and its not a big deal. If it was a big deal at the time
    > then it's a big deal now. Try to "man up" for a change and quit acting like
    > a complete hypocrite.

    Welcome to COLA!
    They do the same thing with just about everything.

    Gartner is a shill company.
    Gertner is not a shill company.

    Didio is an idiot.
    Didio is great.

    Etc.

    I've never in all my life encountered a more hypocritical group than the
    COLA Linux *advocates*.
    In fact, I don't even think it is possible.

    However, it's all been seeded into Google for anyone to check on should
    they wish.

    >> It's probably bull****.

    > Just like your whining and denial.

    Yep.
    The Linux loon always goes on the offensive when the sad truth about his
    beloved operating system is told.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 09:12:18 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> News to me?
    >>> Did you guys hear about it?
    >>> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?

    >> Not a word. Nothing in the Newspapers here, nada, zip.
    >> It's probably bull****.

    > Of course it is bull****. It is HP. They should stick with printers
    > and signal analyzers.

    That's not what you Linux loons were squawking when HP announced support
    for pre-loaded desktop's.

    Ya'll were having a massive orgasm.

    Hypocrites, all of you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demand for linux.)

    On 7 Jun 2008 12:15:44 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-06-06, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> On 2008-06-06, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>

    >>> June 06, 2008
    >>> For Now, HP Won't Expand Linux Lineup
    >>>
    >>> Months after launching a pilot program in Australia to pre-load Linux on
    >>> mainstream PCs, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based computer giant still hasn't seen

    >> News to me?
    >>
    >> Did you guys hear about it?
    >>
    >> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?

    > Not a word. Nothing in the Newspapers here, nada, zip.

    That's preciously HP
    s point.

    There is no interest in Linux.

    Why cover a story that nobody but a handful of Linux geeks is going to
    read?

    > It's probably bull****.

    Denial at it's finest.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demandfor linux.)

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> News to me?
    >>> Did you guys hear about it?
    >>> Did anyone in Australia hear about it?

    >> Not a word. Nothing in the Newspapers here, nada, zip.
    >> It's probably bull****.

    > Of course it is bull****. It is HP. They should stick with printers
    > and signal analyzers.

    Freetard on the loose!

    HP has been making computers for more than 40 years, long before they
    started producing printers.

    What they shouldn't do is put the Linux crapware OS on their consumer
    computers. Now let me tell you why HP shouldn't put the Linux crapware
    OS on their desktops: because people don't want the Linux crapware OS on
    their desktops.

  20. Re: HP - Will NOT expand linux PC lineup. (Because of poor demandfor linux.)

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 00:34:41 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Not a word. Nothing in the Newspapers here, nada, zip. It's probably
    >>> bull****.

    >> Of course it is bull****. It is HP. They should stick with printers
    >> and signal analyzers.

    > Freetard on the loose!
    >
    > HP has been making computers for more than 40 years, long before they
    > started producing printers.
    >
    > What they shouldn't do is put the Linux crapware OS on their consumer
    > computers. Now let me tell you why HP shouldn't put the Linux crapware
    > OS on their desktops: because people don't want the Linux crapware OS on
    > their desktops.

    You really are pathetic.

    --
    Rick