[News] Patrick Durusau Misinforms While Microsoft Fights Against Standards - Linux

  1. [News] Patrick Durusau Misinforms While Microsoft Fights Against Standards

    A Memo to Patrick Durusau (Part Deux)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When Patrick Durusau wrote that Microsoft had no opposition to ODF, he was
    | indefensibly and gloriously wrong. Those of us involved in national standards
    | bodies and on government policy panels have had the dubious honor of having
    | to defend against Microsoft's desperate attempts to kill any possible
    | introduction of ODF as a voluntary standard.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Then came along a recent blogpost by Harisfazillah Jamel, "Apabila Membuat
    | Pilihan Dipersoalkan / When Choices are Questioned", on the right of
    | government agencies to make choices. It's written in Malay, but it has been
    | translated by Yoon Kit for the benefit of our international readers. It makes
    | for extremely interesting reading on the pressure Microsoft Malaysia is
    | placing on a government agency because of their choice to use
    | OpenOffice.org/ODF over Microsoft Office:
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...-to-patri.html

    There will be more such letters in weeks to come. A few come from Malaysia now.

    "If this unethical behaviour by Microsoft was not sufficiently despicable, they
    did the unthinkable by involving politics in what should have been a technical
    evaluation of the standard by writing to the head of the Malaysian standards
    organization and getting its business partners to engage in a negative letter
    writing campaign to indicate lack of support of ODF in the Malaysian market.
    Every single negative letter on ODF received by the Malaysian standards
    organization was written either by Microsoft, or a Microsoft business partner
    or a Microsoft affiliated organization (Initiative for Software Choice and
    IASA)"

    A Memo to Patrick Durusau
    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...ed-whispe.html

    Choice, Innovation and… Appeal?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today, Venezuela filed an appeal against the OOXML standardization process.
    | At this stage, one more country appealing will not matter that much, and
    | there are some indications that the deadline is over.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The financial equation they could eventually think about is this one: how
    | long is this fight going to last, and looking closer into it, why is the same
    | strategy being implemented across the whole set of Microsoft’s technologies,
    | namely through XPS vs PDF, SilverLight vs Flash and .Net vs the Internet.
    | Rather than fighting competition, pushing competitors to bankruptcy and
    | trying to fool around with legislation and processes (such as the ones from
    | ISO), perhaps the time has come to embrace the competition, and walk the line
    | of the industry. Shareholders have had their fair share of
    | Microsoft’s “innovation” and other “ vistasters”.
    `----

    http://standardsandfreedom.net/index...ion-and-appeal

    Recent:

    OpenOffice.org and ODF adoption in Malaysia - thumbs up!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now, you can hold them to their word, as they update a Wiki page, informing
    | you about how many agencies are moving to OpenOffice.org. Big wins, once all
    | of the Malaysian government related agencies are on OpenOffice.org (open
    | source software in general). Again, read OpenOffice.org and ODF Adoption! *
    `----

    http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives...ysia-thumbs-up

  2. Re: [News] Patrick Durusau Misinforms While Microsoft Fights Against Standards

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks