[News] [Rival] Wall Street Journal Suggests Open-sourcing ME3 to Save Windows - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Wall Street Journal Suggests Open-sourcing ME3 to Save Windows

    Dear Windows 7 Programmers, I Have a Few Ideas...

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open-source software such as Linux is traditionally seen as the opposite of
    | proprietary software from the likes of Microsoft and Apple. But that's a
    | false dichotomy. Why can't Windows be proprietary, for-profit and
    | copy-protected -- while at the same time be open for user control and
    | inspection? If Windows were a car, you'd never be able to open the hood and
    | see what was underneath.
    |
    | The software's "black boxness" was driven home for me once when XP was taking
    | an excruciatingly long time to load, and even the best tech sleuths at
    | Microsoft couldn't figure out the cause. Had I been able to look under cover,
    | I might have seen, oh, that Windows was wasting 90 seconds looking for a
    | nonexistent drive.
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121252179249042275.html

    Related:

    Dear Mr. Gates: save Vista, open-source it

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although Microsoft may claim otherwise, Vista, from both from a technical
    | and business point of view, is proving to be a failure. Why not turn it
    | over to people who have shown time after time that they can deliver
    | the goods?
    `----

    Windows is caught between Mac and Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For the first time in ages, the sale of new PCs with Windows as a percentage
    | of the PC market is declining sharply. The new winner is the Mac, but, while
    | no one does a good job of tracking the still-new, pre-installed Linux desktop
    | market, it's also clear that Linux is finally making impressive inroads into
    | Windows' once unchallenged market share. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | How Microsoft deals, or fails to deal, with this new challenge will determine
    | if Windows continues to be the dominant desktop operating system. Distracted
    | by its Yahoo buyout plans, its courtroom failures and its leadership changes,
    | Microsoft is in trouble, and that means the other desktop operating systems
    | have their best chance ever to knock Windows off the top of the desktop hill. * *
    `----

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Wall Street Journal Suggests Open-sourcing ME3 to Save Windows

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Dear Windows 7 Programmers, I Have a Few Ideas...

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows