One-Time Contributers

,----[ Quote ]
| It was pointed out that the statistics were artificially inflated due to name
| misspellings and other variations, and that many of the listed people are
| actually still working with the Linux kernel. Greg KH added, "well, you do
| know that the distribution of all of our users are: 50% only contributed 1
| patch; 25% contributed 2; 12% contributed 3; 6% contributed 4 and so on?"
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/One-Time_Contributers

"The number of developers working on improving Linux vastly
exceeds the number of Microsoft developers working on Windows NT."

--Paul Maritz, Microsoft

Related:

Who's writing Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Top ten most active 2.6.23 developers by changesets
|
| * Ingo Molnar (152, 2.5%)
| * Ralf Baechle (119, 1.9%)
| * Trond Myklebust (116, 1.9%)
| * Paul Mundt (111, 1.8%)
| * David S. Miller (107, 1.7%)
| * Tejun Heo (103, 1.7%)
| * Al Viro (95, 1.5%)
| * Patrick McHardy (93, 1.5%)
| * Adrian Bunk (92, 1.5%)
| * FUJITA Tomonori (91, 1.5%)
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...59;fp;4;fpid;1

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
| development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
| tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
| (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe). *
`----

Linux kernel community grows, but elite group remains

,----[ Quote ]
| Viro has contributed 1,571 changes to the kernel, which sits at the core of
| the Linux operating system, over the past three years, according to a new
| report from the Linux Foundation. That's more than any other individual
| developer, the report states. In contrast, Torvalds, the kernel's creator and
| steward, contributed 495 changes. Viro couldn't be reached for comment about
| the report.
|
| [...]
|
| But this group of coding superstars sails atop a roiling sea of newer
| community members, notes Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux
| Foundation. Roughly 3,700 developers from more than 200 companies have
| contributed to the kernel since 2005, according to the report.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20C...20vs%20Windows