PC's that come with linux already installed - Linux

This is a discussion on PC's that come with linux already installed - Linux ; I've got an old PC that needs to be replaced. The last linux distribution that I installed on it was Debian. I've been happy with the results, but it took me a long time to get it installed and working ...

  1. PC's that come with linux already installed

    I've got an old PC that needs to be replaced.
    The last linux distribution that I installed on
    it was Debian. I've been happy with the results,
    but it took me a long time to get it installed and
    working to my satisfaction. I'd like to avoid having
    to do that much work again.

    Are there any PC's that come with both microsoft and
    linux already installed? Any recomendations, or comments
    (either negative or positive)?

    Mike Fontenot

  2. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    Mike Fontenot wrote:
    > I've got an old PC that needs to be replaced.
    > The last linux distribution that I installed on
    > it was Debian. I've been happy with the results,
    > but it took me a long time to get it installed and
    > working to my satisfaction. I'd like to avoid having
    > to do that much work again.

    If you don't mind the "newbie feel" Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu
    (etc) are fairly fast. I'm somewhat disappointed in the current series
    (8.04) and would suggest the earlier 7.10 for the moment.

    > Are there any PC's that come with both microsoft and
    > linux already installed? Any recomendations, or comments
    > (either negative or positive)?

    From what I've seen it's one or the other but not both. I don't know of
    any shop here in town which will do Linux (other than cbit). Some of the
    smaller shops (eg. Itech) will partition the drive so you can install
    Linux on your own (after installing M$ of course).

    > Mike Fontenot

    Later
    Mike

  3. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    > If you don't mind the "newbie feel" Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu
    > (etc) are fairly fast. I'm somewhat disappointed in the current series
    > (8.04) and would suggest the earlier 7.10 for the moment.

    Thanks for your response.

    I'm not sure what "newbie feel" means...could you elaborate a little?
    Also, what is the reason for the various different names for Ubuntu?
    (Five years ago or so, when I installed Debian, I subscribed to the
    Linux
    Journal, read the various linux groups, and was fairly up-to-date on
    linux, but I've been totally ignoring all that for years now, and am
    completely out of touch with how things have changed.)

    I'm surprised at the low volume of traffic on this newsgroup...would it
    be a good idea to resubmit this query to the "misc" sub-group...it
    appears
    to have a higher volume.

    Mike Fontenot

  4. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    Mike Fontenot wrote:

    > I'm not sure what "newbie feel" means...could you elaborate a little?

    The various flavours of Ubuntu try to make its installation and operation as
    easy as possible for the beginner. This is probably a good thing, in my
    opinion.

    > Also, what is the reason for the various different names for Ubuntu?

    Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop, Kubuntu uses kde, and so on.

    > (Five years ago or so, when I installed Debian, I subscribed to the
    > Linux
    > Journal, read the various linux groups, and was fairly up-to-date on
    > linux, but I've been totally ignoring all that for years now, and am
    > completely out of touch with how things have changed.)

    You'll be /very/ pleasantly surprised!

    > I'm surprised at the low volume of traffic on this newsgroup...would it
    > be a good idea to resubmit this query to the "misc" sub-group...it
    > appears to have a higher volume.

    There now appears to be much more traffic in the distro-specific groups.

    C.

  5. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop, Kubuntu uses kde, and so on.

    I've never liked using ANY desktops...I guess I just spent too many
    years in the early UNIX world. I run Fvwm, with a window for Netscape
    Navigator and a window for Netscape Messenger. All the other windows
    are just xterms. I write a lot of my own C programs, for doing various
    kinds of numerical analysis, and for writing to the sound card to
    provide accompaniment for my (not very good) fiddle playing. And vi and
    groff for writing letters, etc. I'm not at all interested in using
    linux to get a microsoft-like environment.

    When I installed Debian some years ago, most of the hassle was in trying
    to get xwindows set up like I wanted, the font big enough for me to read
    easily (on Netscape, and everywhere else), to get sound to work, and
    probably a few other problems that I've forgotten about.

    I'm starting to think that a pre-packaged system may not be right for me
    after all, and maybe not even a distribution that makes all the
    decisions for me...I think my requirements may not be very main-stream.
    Maybe Debian again makes the most sense. And maybe it will seem easier
    the second time around.

    Mike Fontenot

  6. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > There now appears to be much more traffic in the distro-specific groups.

    The only newsgroups that I see below the comp.os.linus group that are
    distro-specific are one for redhat and one for suse...is my internet
    provider just not providing them all? If I decide to stick with debian,
    maybe I'll just have to use the web-based forums. Before, I used a
    newsgroup called

    muc.lists.debian.user

    which somehow allowed a list to be viewed as if it were a newsgroup.
    But that newsgroup has been dead for years now, for some reason. Too
    bad...I found it very useful at the time.

    Mike Fontenot

  7. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    Mike Fontenot wrote:

    > I've got an old PC that needs to be replaced.
    > The last linux distribution that I installed on
    > it was Debian. I've been happy with the results,
    > but it took me a long time to get it installed and
    > working to my satisfaction. I'd like to avoid having
    > to do that much work again.
    >
    > Are there any PC's that come with both microsoft and
    > linux already installed? Any recomendations, or comments
    > (either negative or positive)?
    >
    > Mike Fontenot

    There's a company called system76 http://system76.com/
    That sell Ubuntu preinstalled machines..

    They have one laptop (I think it's called serval performance) that is based
    on the Compal JFL 92..

    Compal JFL 92 seems to be a good laptop which comes without the "Microsoft
    Tax" on laptops.. I'm planning to buy it, though in my case, from
    powernotebooks.com, without any OS installed, and run OpenSUSE on it
    (sometime towards late August)..

    Then http://www.dell.com/ubuntu
    and also, Thinkpads have linux preinstalled variant too..
    But both of these don't seem to have versions with built in webcam.

    As for boxes preinstalled with both windows and linux, I've never seen a
    case.. buy windows and do dual boot, or forget windows altogether..

    /varghese

  8. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    Thanks for the info, Varghese. I've about decided to buy some PC with
    Microsoft installed (not a laptop, though), and then install Debian
    on it. That's what I was originally trying to avoid, but I don't want
    KDE or any other "desktop", and with Debian I can save all that space.
    Hopefully, I left enough notes, for the previous Debian install that I
    did,
    that it'll be easier and quicker the second time.

    Mike Fontenot

  9. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    Group: comp.os.linux Date: Mon, Jun 23, 2008, 3:34pm (CDT+10:30) From:
    varghese85-noexist@nospam-please.com (Varghese*Mathew)

    script:

    >Mike Fontenot wrote:
    >
    >>Are there any PC's that come with both
    >>microsoft and linux already installed?

    >There's a company called system76 >http://system76.com/ That sell

    Ubuntu
    >preinstalled machines..

    And: Any company that has an OEM license with M$ has to pay M$ a
    certain amount for each machine out the door, whether that machine
    has winders installed or not.

    If the Linux install is too tedious, buy a machine with Linux installed,
    and buy your own copy of winders for dual boot. (It ain't that _hard_,
    if one partitions the HD properly in the first place.)

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television, Linux is radar.

  10. Re: PC's that come with linux already installed

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:16:39 -0600, Mike Fontenot wrote:

    > Are there any PC's that come with both microsoft and linux already
    > installed? Any recomendations, or comments (either negative or
    > positive)?

    Dell sells Ubuntu Linux installed PCs.

    We bought my wife's 1420 series laptop from Dell last year and are very
    pleased.
    It came with Ubuntu 7.04 and we upgraded to 7.10 using Ubuntu's auto
    upgrade and it has been working great. We think we will skip 8.04 and
    go to 8.10.

    There is a great Ubuntu group, alt.os.linux.ubuntu. Also IRC is busy.
    And the forums are very good: http://ubuntuforums.org/

    --
    // This is my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread