why 3G of memory for vista desktop? - Linux

This is a discussion on why 3G of memory for vista desktop? - Linux ; "Homer" wrote in message news:r2k0i5-m1s.ln1@sky.matrix... > Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly: >> On 2008-06-09, amicus_curious wrote: > >>> comes Linux, more than a day late and far more than a dollar short >>> and you puzzle ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 65 of 65

  1. Re: why 3G of memory for vista desktop?

    "Homer" wrote in message
    > Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
    >> On 2008-06-09, amicus_curious wrote:

    >>> comes Linux, more than a day late and far more than a dollar short
    >>> and you puzzle as to why they are not a success?

    > So you admit that Microsoft's monopoly and lockin tactics makes an
    > almost impenetrable entry barrier to the OS market?

    For latecomers like Linux, sure. But it is not anything malevolent.
    Markets are only open for a fairly short period of time and then the laws of
    market dynamics take over and, in a mature state like the PC platform market
    was more than 10 years after it started, a newcomer is pretty much out of
    luck.

    > And again, you talk about "success". Being mugged is not a "failure to
    > succeed". Subsequently bragging about the ill-gotten gains of the
    > "mugger" makes you at least as reprehensible as the perpetrator. You are
    > one sick; twisted individual.

    And you are an idiot whose predjudices blind you to the facts.

  2. Re: why 3G of memory for vista desktop?

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:21:25 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Rick spake thusly:

    >>> Maybe, but......
    >>>
    >>> Linux is free.
    >>> Windows is not.

    > Your repetition of that mindless mantra is irrelevant.

    No it's not.
    It's a fact.

    Free is free and nothing is better than free unless you include a Benjamin
    with every copy of Linux.
    Hey, maybe that's an idea!!

    > The fact that Linux is free means you have no way to substantiate your
    > inference that it is unpopular, since there are no POS figures beyond
    > those for a limited subset of commercial distributions, and so called
    > Web stats are equally unsubstantiated skewed metrics.

    Windows market, even Vista is rising while Linux still stays a 0.6 percent
    of the desktop.
    This is after 16 years already.

    The reason the free vs expensive point is valid is because if Linux were
    good enough, Microsoft would be out of business because the hardware
    manufacturers, vendors, software companies etc would jump on this gravy
    train and support it.

    They have not.

    Linux desktop preloads for the most part have been a miserable failure.

    The problem is NOT that people don't know about Linux, it's because people
    don't like it.
    They are willing to switch to the Mac and endure the expense of new
    hardware and software rather than use Linux.

    Being free is not enough.
    The free product has to be from a consumer's POV equal to or better than
    what they are currently using in order to entice them to switch.

    Consider if Sandisk released free iPod clones that were decent but had some
    severe limitations like say battery life.

    Initially people would take them just because they are free but once they
    try them and discover the limitations most people will probably go back to
    their iPod.

    This is what Linux is like.
    People download it hoping for the Holy Grail.
    People try it.
    People dump it.

    And this cycle repeats over and over many times as these same people try
    different, newer versions of Linux but discover while improvments have been
    made, it's just not ready and does not offer anything to entice them to
    switch.

    Figure out what's wrong with Linux.
    Fix it.
    And maybe Linux will start to gain desktop market share.

    Keep creating new distributions that solve old problems but create
    additional ones and Linux is doomed to remain in that cycle.

    >> Microsoft has repeated broken anti-trust law.

    > He doesn't care.

    Actually I do care.
    Microsoft is a nasty company to do business with however they are no
    different than any other mega company like Walmart, IBM, Exxon, etc.

    They just seem to get caught all the time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: why 3G of memory for vista desktop?

    The real fun of living wisely is that you get to feel smug about it
    -- Hobbes

  4. Re: why 3G of memory for vista desktop?

    On 2008-06-10, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Homer" wrote in message
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:

    >> So you admit that Microsoft's monopoly and lockin tactics makes an
    >> almost impenetrable entry barrier to the OS market?
    >>

    > For latecomers like Linux, sure. But it is not anything malevolent.
    > Markets are only open for a fairly short period of time and then the laws of
    > market dynamics take over and, in a mature state like the PC platform market

    ....that's not capitalism at all.

    > was more than 10 years after it started, a newcomer is pretty much out of
    > luck.
    >
    >> And again, you talk about "success". Being mugged is not a "failure to
    >> succeed". Subsequently bragging about the ill-gotten gains of the
    >> "mugger" makes you at least as reprehensible as the perpetrator. You are
    >> one sick; twisted individual.
    >>

    > And you are an idiot whose predjudices blind you to the facts.

    People are genuinely prejudiced against people who have to be
    scolded by the Department of Justice repeatedly or who start
    out their career by stabbing their first partners in the back.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

  5. Re: why 3G of memory for vista desktop?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >> For latecomers like Linux, sure. But it is not anything malevolent.
    >> Markets are only open for a fairly short period of time and then the laws
    >> of
    >> market dynamics take over and, in a mature state like the PC platform
    >> market

    > ...that's not capitalism at all.

    Of course not. What has capitalism to do with anything in this regard?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4