[News] Microsoft's Ballnux Becomes More Poisonous - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft's Ballnux Becomes More Poisonous

    One more thing with Novell: the EULA!One more thing with Novell: the EULA!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, the most shocking part for me? The openSUSE 11.0b3 EULA.
    |
    | "The Grumpy Editor" is quoting the most relevant parts: «It must be said that
    | this distribution got off on rather the wrong foot; it puts up an end-user
    | license agreement which prohibits redistribution for compensation, bundling
    | openSUSE with any other "offering," reverse engineering, transfer of the
    | software, use in a production environment, or publishing benchmark results
    | (but only if you're a software vendor). Users are required to stop using the
    | software upon termination of the license, which happens after 90 days, after
    | the next release, or whenever Novell says so. And, just in case one was
    | considering the crime of using the release for too long: "The Software may
    | contain an automatic disabling mechanism that prevents its use after a
    | certain period of time, so You should back up Your system and take other
    | measures to prevent any loss of files or data."»
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Novell, the only way you can use Linux and feel like you're using Windows.
    | Read the EULA before our lawyers contact you. Most important: we might
    | disable your copy whenever we want. Free Trojan horse included. "Upgrade to
    | SLED or to Vista" coupon available on request.
    `----

    http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...h-novell-the-e

    Novell joins Microsoft in Anti-Linux FUD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Novell “partnership” with Microsoft has been a hot topic in Linux circles
    | since it was announced a few years ago. Recently, Novell and Microsoft
    | introduced a joint-marketing site to promote their collaboration.
    |
    | A few years ago, I had really high hope’s for Novell’s forays in to Linux.
    | However; bad move after bad move has left me with no confidence in Novell or
    | their Linux products. I can’t say I was shocked to find this work of
    | misinformation touting the “benefits” of Novell over Redhat and “unpaid”
    | Linux.
    |
    | Novell has this lovely chart to highlight the benefits of SUSE over “unpaid”
    | Linux. “Unpaid” is a complete spin word, sounding like something Karl Rove
    | cooked up in a focus group.
    `----

    http://alexvalentine.org/?p=594

    Microsoft poisons Novell, just like it did with Corel.

    Recent:

    Mono, The Road To Hell: Final Proof

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is a Microsoft-branded piece of ****.
    |
    | Now, if there are still Linux users still loving Mono, and still believing
    | they have anything in common with FREEDOM & Open Source, they're idiots like
    | hell.
    |
    | Proofs of MALA FIDE from Microsoft's part:
    |
    | *1. NOBODY interested in a good-faith patent protection would restrict the
    | *protection to the downstream recipients of a UNIQUE source — but this is
    | *what Microsoft is doing!
    |
    | *2. NOBODY interested in a good-faith patent protection would restrict the
    | *protection to the UNMODIFIED AND USED "AS INTENDED" ("for the intended
    | *purpose") for an OPEN-SOURCE project — but this is what Microsoft is doing!
    |
    | *3. NOBODY interested in a good-faith patent protection would restrict the
    | *protection in any ways. Simply imposing restrictions means WHATEVER FALLS
    | *OUTSIDE THE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS IS SUBJECT TO FEAR, UNCERTAINTY AND DOUBT!
    |
    | Yes, this is Microsoft. Yes, this covenant is ONLY and ONLY for the benefit
    | of Novell's SLED and SLES, and for the benefit of openSUSE. This is for
    | people to ONLY consider openSUSE as a "safe" Linux way to use Moonlight and
    | Mono, and therefore to increase the penetration of SLED/SLES as "the" Linux
    | for the Enterprise.
    |
    | This is the abjection of the Microsoft-Novell fascist conspiracy.
    |
    | Have a nice day.
    `----

    http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...ell-final-proo

    Novell ushers in Moonlight

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The binary version of Moonlight does not have audio and video support
    | built-in. If you want the audio and video features you have to build
    | Moonlight from source using the instructions on the Mono wiki.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/136608

    Shining Some Light on Microsoft's Moonlight Covenant

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My conclusion now, after having reviewed it, is the same as I predicted. This
    | is worthless and potentially harmful vapor-speak.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft's Ballnux Becomes More Poisonous

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | So, the most shocking part for me? The openSUSE 11.0b3 EULA.

    No reverse engineering ... of /Open Source/ Software???
    No redistribution?
    No benchmarking?
    Automatic disabling mechanisms?

    ^^^ Can they actually enforce this crap without violating the GPL? ^^^

    It's official, SUSE has become Windows.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:33:23 up 168 days, 14:09, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft's Ballnux Becomes More Poisonous

    Homer wrote:

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> So, the most shocking part for me? The openSUSE 11.0b3 EULA.

    > No reverse engineering ... of /Open Source/ Software???
    > No redistribution?
    > No benchmarking?
    > Automatic disabling mechanisms?
    >
    > ^^^ Can they actually enforce this crap without violating the GPL? ^^^
    >
    > It's official, SUSE has become Windows.

    RedHat apparently hired a lawyer that MS fired: this license presumes you're
    a criminal, forces you to accept raids of your premises, and threatens you
    with additional costs if you get caught underreporting by a certain amount:

    "5.2 Inspection. During the term of this Agreement and for one (1) year
    thereafter, Red Hat or its designated agent may inspect Client's facilities
    and records to verify Client's compliance with this Agreement. Any such
    inspection will take place only during Client's normal business hours and
    upon no less than ten (10) days prior written notice from Red Hat. Red Hat
    will give Client written notice of any non-compliance, including the number
    of underreported Units of Software or Services, and Client will have fifteen
    (15) days from the date of this notice to make payment to Red Hat for the
    applicable Services provided with respect to the underreported Units. If
    Client underreports the number of Units utilized by more than five percent
    (5%) of the number of Units for which Client paid, Client will also pay Red
    Hat for the cost of such inspection."

    http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_us.html

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft's Ballnux Becomes More Poisonous

    Homer wrote:

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | So, the most shocking part for me? The openSUSE 11.0b3 EULA.

    > No reverse engineering ... of /Open Source/ Software???
    > No redistribution?
    > No benchmarking?
    > Automatic disabling mechanisms?
    >
    > ^^^ Can they actually enforce this crap without violating the GPL? ^^^

    Nope. The GPL states that all rights you have to the GPLd software must be
    passed on to anyone you distribute it to.

    Question is... what "value subtracted" software that's NON-GPL have novell
    added? Maybe it's only those components that're "automatically disablable".

    If not, then Novell's in deep doodoos.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |