64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux. - Linux

This is a discussion on 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux. - Linux ; http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429 TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world ran Linux. b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429

    TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across
    the world ran Linux.

    b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f

  2. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >

    > TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across
    > the world ran Linux.
    >

    > b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f

    Maybe Roy can comment?

  3. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >

    > TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across
    > the world ran Linux.
    >

    > b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f

    What percentage of all web servers run Linux?

  4. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >>

    >> TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked
    >> across the world ran Linux.
    >>

    >> b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f
    >>

    > What percentage of all web servers run Linux?

    Why would that matter?

  5. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 17:54:52 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >>

    >> TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked
    >> across the world ran Linux.
    >>

    >> b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f

    > What percentage of all web servers run Linux?

    To finish off the troll's quote from the URI:

    Marketing director Ken Low told the paper that many businesses used Linux
    as platforms for their internet-facing servers to reduce IT operating
    costs and unpatched security holes and misconfigured security settings
    were 'common'.

    Note the bit about: "unpatched security holes and misconfigured security
    settings".

    So it wasn't the fault of Linux, it was the admins.
    Oh, dear, the trolls are getting desperate aren't they.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  6. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >>>

    >>> TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked
    >>> across the world ran Linux.
    >>>

    >>> b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f
    >>>

    >> What percentage of all web servers run Linux?

    > Why would that matter?

    The exact same way most virus-ridden computers are Windoze infected -
    there's more of them.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Averages

  7. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:06:29 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >>

    >> TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across
    >> the world ran Linux.
    >>

    >> b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f

    > Maybe Roy can comment?

    Yea...
    Roy Schestowitz's Linux server was hacked big time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    William Poaster wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 17:54:52 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >>>

    >>> TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked
    >>> across the world ran Linux.
    >>>

    >>> b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f

    >> What percentage of all web servers run Linux?

    > To finish off the troll's quote from the URI:
    >
    > Marketing director Ken Low told the paper that many businesses used
    > Linux as platforms for their internet-facing servers to reduce IT
    > operating costs and unpatched security holes and misconfigured
    > security settings were 'common'.
    >

    > Note the bit about: "unpatched security holes and misconfigured
    > security settings".
    >
    > So it wasn't the fault of Linux, it was the admins.

    heh! Right on cue comes a cola fool to deny any problems with his little
    hanging/crashing/freezing/glitchy/hacked often/full of (cr)apps toy
    "operating system"

    > Oh, dear, the trolls are getting desperate aren't they.

    huh? Two days ago you morons claimed you run us out of cola by stealthy use
    of your killfiles (I don't say that word too often in your presence, Dumb
    Willie, since it makes you pee your pants with excitement).

  9. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz's Linux server was hacked big time.

    So was one of Linux Format magazine's. Some years ago, but they waited
    until just recently to admit it.

  10. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >

    > TippingPoint has **alleged** that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked
    > across the world ran Linux.

    In other words, there has no proof provided for this assertion. On the other
    hand, Tipping Point is a small company that is trying to get public
    exposure. Outlandish statements, which can't be proven either way, make it
    easier to get into the headlines.

    Ian

  11. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 21:15:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz's Linux server was hacked big time.

    > So was one of Linux Format magazine's. Some years ago, but they waited
    > until just recently to admit it.

    Maybe that's how all those Microsoft advertisements got into Linux Format
    Magazine!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, William Poaster

    wrote
    on Tue, 03 Jun 2008 19:26:11 +0100
    :
    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 17:54:52 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.19429
    >>>

    >>> TippingPoint has alleged that 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked
    >>> across the world ran Linux.
    >>>

    >>> b9d4e5b49af2312e47f5b98ed8cd718f

    >> What percentage of all web servers run Linux?

    > To finish off the troll's quote from the URI:
    >
    > Marketing director Ken Low told the paper that many businesses used Linux
    > as platforms for their internet-facing servers to reduce IT operating
    > costs and unpatched security holes and misconfigured security settings
    > were 'common'.
    >

    > Note the bit about: "unpatched security holes and misconfigured security
    > settings".
    >
    > So it wasn't the fault of Linux, it was the admins.
    > Oh, dear, the trolls are getting desperate aren't they.

    I'd say this gets a bit tricky; ideally the system would
    be locked down by default, just after install but before
    configuration. (Of course that might make it rather
    useless.)

    For its part Windows used to open 6 rather unnecessary
    portholes, just because it liked to run certain daemons.
    (I don't know if Vista, Win7, or beta versions of Longhorn
    Server closed those off or not.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  13. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > For its part Windows used to open 6 rather unnecessary
    > portholes, just because it liked to run certain daemons.
    > (I don't know if Vista, Win7, or beta versions of Longhorn
    > Server closed those off or not.)

    Run tcpview and find out!

    --
    The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow.
    -- Bill Gates

  14. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Wed, 4 Jun 2008 07:03:53 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> For its part Windows used to open 6 rather unnecessary
    >> portholes, just because it liked to run certain daemons.
    >> (I don't know if Vista, Win7, or beta versions of Longhorn
    >> Server closed those off or not.)

    > Run tcpview and find out!

    Hmmm...and why do I get the feeling that's a Cygwin utility? :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  15. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 4 Jun 2008 07:03:53 -0400
    > :
    >> * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> For its part Windows used to open 6 rather unnecessary
    >>> portholes, just because it liked to run certain daemons.
    >>> (I don't know if Vista, Win7, or beta versions of Longhorn
    >>> Server closed those off or not.)

    >> Run tcpview and find out!

    > Hmmm...and why do I get the feeling that's a Cygwin utility? :-)

    Nope, it's a download from a Windows site, sysinternals.com.

    --
    Understand that this is the last physical format there will ever be.
    -- Bill Gates, On Blu-ray. interview The Daily Princetonian (14 Oct 2005)

  16. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll

  17. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll

  18. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Cork Soaker" wrote in message

    >>> What percentage of all web servers run Linux?

    >> Why would that matter?

    > The exact same way most virus-ridden computers are Windoze infected -
    > there's more of them.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Averages

    No answer from the troll that can't count.

  19. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "Cork Soaker" wrote in message

    >>> Why would that matter?

    >> The exact same way most virus-ridden computers are Windoze infected -
    >> there's more of them.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Averages

    > No answer from the troll that can't count.

    So it's okay for most servers to be hacked because linux is most commonly
    used on servers.

    But yet the liars/advocates here cry about all of the Windows desktops
    systems that are hacked... yet Windows is most commonly used on desktops.

  20. Re: 64.7 per cent of the IT systems hacked across the world run Linux.

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:08:44 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:

    >>> The exact same way most virus-ridden computers are Windoze infected -
    >>> there's more of them.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Averages

    >> No answer from the troll that can't count.

    > So it's okay for most servers to be hacked because linux is most commonly
    > used on servers.
    >
    > But yet the liars/advocates here cry about all of the Windows desktops
    > systems that are hacked... yet Windows is most commonly used on desktops.

    Another example of the Linux Loons talking out of both sides of their pie
    hole.