[News] Asus GNU/Linux Desktops Announced, More in the Pipeline - Linux

  1. [News] Asus GNU/Linux Desktops Announced, More in the Pipeline

    Asus officially announces Eee Box details

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Asus is selling a variety of other Eee Box configurations around the world,
    | but it will have three available in the U.S. One for $269 comes with 1GB of
    | RAM, an 80GB hard drive, and an unspecified version of Linux. Another
    | Linux-based model comes with 2GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive for $299.
    | Finally, a Windows XP-based version with 1GB or RAM and an 80GB hard drive
    | will sell for $299.
    |
    | When it comes out later this summer, the Eee Box will complement Asus'
    | much-talked about Eee PC laptops, and it will compete directly with Shuttle's
    | KPC K-4500 Linux desktop. While none of those systems are exactly mainstream,
    | they're all known for low prices and a surprising amount of features for the
    | dollar.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9957071-7.html

    Asustek to Launch IMac Rival in September

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Eee Monitor will be a stand-alone monitor and PC similar to the iMac. But
    | the Eee line is designed to be low-cost, so Asustek's Eee Monitor will likely
    | beat the iMac on price. Shen declined to comment further on the Eee Monitor's
    | price or configuration.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...september.html

    Recent:

    Asus to release desktop Eee PC as Ebox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Ebox will certainly run the Eee PC's Xandros version of Linux, and come
    | bundled with the same line-up of applications.
    |
    | The look of the Ebox is at odds with the design of a slimline home desktop PC
    | that Asus demo'd at the CeBit show in March this year. That model,
    | the "Digital Home System EP20", was, however, said to run the Eee PC's Linux
    | OS.
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/05..._e_dt_is_ebox/

    Linux is Part of Asus’s Long Term Plan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Asus announced three new Linux products.
    |
    | I would even go so far to say that if Asus keeps up its support of Linux, it
    | may be the company that is credited with bringing Linux on the desktop to the
    | masses.
    `----

    http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/0...ong-term-plan/

    Asus' little Eee 900 laptop is a big improvement over its predecessor

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When the original Eee PC came out last year, Asus pretty much had the
    | ultra-portable laptop market to itself, and the funky little Linux machine
    | was a huge hit.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I tested a Windows XP model to see how much it differed from the original
    | Linux model.
    |
    | I much prefer the Linux.
    `----

    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.46ae175.html
    http://tinyurl.com/5z2nm2

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Asus GNU/Linux Desktops Announced, More in the Pipeline

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:51:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Asus officially announces Eee Box details

    Have the blogs offering step by step instructions on how to remove Linux
    and install Windows surfaced yet?

    They will....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Asus GNU/Linux Desktops Announced, More in the Pipeline

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 3 Jun 2008 03:07:55 -0400
    <1xcrvwd4y3yzi.16tjh4kjnp4lk$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:51:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Asus officially announces Eee Box details

    > Have the blogs offering step by step instructions on how to remove Linux
    > and install Windows surfaced yet?
    >
    > They will....

    If one knows Linux, has done his homework and has
    sufficient outside storage space, that's trivial.

    [1] dd if=/dev/hda | gzip > /outside/hda.img.gz
    [2] Install Linux, repartition, do whatever you want.
    [3] When done, gunzip < /outside/hda.img.gz | dd of=/dev/hda
    and everything's hunkydory.

    Of course that procedure has three problems: (a) It
    requires knowledge of Linux commands, (b) it assumes
    one has external storage space, and (c) it's a physical
    backup, as opposed to a logical one, and therefore cannot
    be reliably transferred to a differently-sized partition.

    A fourth problem in this context is (d) one has to have
    an initial running Windows system.

    For a Windows utility one might try things such as Norton Ghost,
    which I'm not personally familiar with but seems to do the job
    for our IT folk.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
    try our new color changing variant?

  4. Re: [News] Asus GNU/Linux Desktops Announced, More in the Pipeline

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll