Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' SteelBlames "Anti-Microsoft" - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' SteelBlames "Anti-Microsoft" - Linux ; "Recently analysts have come out in support of Vista ... claiming organizations could miss out on important business benefits" What a load of BS. What "business benefits" will an *OS* bring anyone, much less a totally dysfunctional OS like Vista? ...

  1. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' SteelBlames "Anti-Microsoft"

    "Recently analysts have come out in support of Vista ... claiming
    organizations could miss out on important business benefits"

    What a load of BS. What "business benefits" will an *OS* bring anyone,
    much less a totally dysfunctional OS like Vista? It's an operating
    system for Christ's sake, it's supposed to sit invisibly in the
    background and just work. If it doesn't work then it brings chaos and
    financial loss. Since when is "software working" singled out as a
    "benefit"? Surely that's supposed to be a given.

    As for these "analysts" ... yeah they just popped up out of nowhere, for
    no particular reason, and started singing the praises of a completely
    broken operating system. I wonder why?

    LOL!

    Why don't these "analysts" rebrand their biznizes® as paid advertisers?
    That's what they really are, after all.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    00:45:33 up 164 days, 21:21, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.03

  2. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Tue, 03 Jun 2008 00:45:45 +0100
    :
    > "Recently analysts have come out in support of Vista ... claiming
    > organizations could miss out on important business benefits"

    Like being locked into Palladium. ;-)

    > What a load of BS. What "business benefits" will an *OS* bring anyone,
    > much less a totally dysfunctional OS like Vista?

    Well, there is the issue of common protocol/API.
    Applications expect Windows, and Windows begets more
    applications as it's the majority solution.

    I'm hoping that changes as more people wake up to the
    fact that standard solutions work better for everyone,
    but one does wonder.

    Of course, I'm not all that up on what a "business app"
    is anyway; COBOL was touted in its day as the common
    business language, for example, and a lot of applications
    could probably be done using Tcl/Tk or Python.

    What's so special about Windows for business? At best,
    it's a platform for launching documents[*] and spreadsheets.
    At worst, it gets in the way with such issues as DRM.

    There is one advantage to Microsoft Word, though.
    Word documents are self-contained; an HTML page with
    graphs and such would have to be shoved at the user
    using multipart/related -- a more complicated task.
    (Or one uses an archive file and unzips it manually.)

    Can't beat Word files for convenience -- especially if it
    has an infectious virus...

    > It's an operating
    > system for Christ's sake, it's supposed to sit invisibly in the
    > background and just work. If it doesn't work then it brings chaos and
    > financial loss.

    And bad press...but you know what they say about bad press... ;-)

    > Since when is "software working" singled out as a
    > "benefit"? Surely that's supposed to be a given.

    Aye.

    > As for these "analysts" ... yeah they just popped up out
    > of nowhere, for no particular reason, and started singing
    > the praises of a completely broken operating system.
    > I wonder why?
    >
    > LOL!
    >
    > Why don't these "analysts" rebrand their biznizes« as paid advertisers?
    > That's what they really are, after all.

    All interesting questions.
    [*] FSVO, given the propensity of Websites to throw in
    oodles of interactive Javascript, movies, and such.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's not the desktop that's
    important, it's the ability to DO something
    with it.

  3. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

    ____/ Homer on Tuesday 03 June 2008 00:45 : \____

    > "Recently analysts have come out in support of Vista ... claiming
    > organizations could miss out on important business benefits"
    >
    > What a load of BS. What "business benefits" will an *OS* bring anyone,
    > much less a totally dysfunctional OS like Vista? It's an operating
    > system for Christ's sake, it's supposed to sit invisibly in the
    > background and just work. If it doesn't work then it brings chaos and
    > financial loss. Since when is "software working" singled out as a
    > "benefit"? Surely that's supposed to be a given.
    >
    > As for these "analysts" ... yeah they just popped up out of nowhere, for
    > no particular reason, and started singing the praises of a completely
    > broken operating system. I wonder why?
    >
    > LOL!
    >
    > Why don't these "analysts" rebrand their biznizes® as paid advertisers?
    > That's what they really are, after all.

    Someone days ago I caught a glimpse at how it works. I already knew that Gates
    and Ellison are Gartner's big beneficiaries (investors/bribing
    parties/whatever). Microsoft and Oracle pay $7000 (or half) to produce
    a 'Report'. I heard this from a business owner (I think) from China, who is
    also a Microsoft investor.

    If companies like Red Hat want positive publicity from the likes of Gartner,
    they need to pay up as well.

    Gartner = advertisers in suits. They need to be embargoed by the media, but
    there is little hope in the United States of Advertising.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
    Mem: 515500k total, 444516k used, 70984k free, 3128k buffers

  4. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

    Homer wrote:

    > Why don't these "analysts" rebrand their biznizes« as paid
    > advertisers? That's what they really are, after all.

    You cola clowns sure don't mind quoting them when they say something
    positive about Linux.

    [H]ypocrite strikes again!

  5. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 02:33:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Someone days ago I caught a glimpse at how it works. I already knew that Gates
    > and Ellison are Gartner's big beneficiaries (investors/bribing
    > parties/whatever). Microsoft and Oracle pay $7000 (or half) to produce
    > a 'Report'. I heard this from a business owner (I think) from China, who is
    > also a Microsoft investor.
    >
    > If companies like Red Hat want positive publicity from the likes of Gartner,
    > they need to pay up as well.
    >
    > Gartner = advertisers in suits. They need to be embargoed by the media, but
    > there is little hope in the United States of Advertising.

    That's this week.
    A couple of weeks ago you were praising Gartner because of their study on
    the future of Linux.

    Make up your mind already Roy Schestowitz.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....07bdde7351cd1e

    "Thanks, Bill. Excellent news, especially since I read in a couple of
    places that Massachusetts was ready to get lenient and permit the existence
    of MS XML. Nothing was finalised at the time, but it seemed discouraging.
    Gartner, of all bodies (a company actually), turn out to be somewhat of a
    friend: "

    You are nothing but a huge phony Roy Schestowitz.
    Speaking out of both sides of your mouth once again like the typical Linux
    *advocate*.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' SteelBlames "Anti-Microsoft"

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer wrote on Tue, 03
    > Jun 2008 00:45:45 +0100 :

    >> "Recently analysts have come out in support of Vista ... claiming
    >> organizations could miss out on important business benefits"

    > Like being locked into Palladium. ;-)
    >
    >> What a load of BS. What "business benefits" will an *OS* bring
    >> anyone, much less a totally dysfunctional OS like Vista?

    > Well, there is the issue of common protocol/API. Applications expect
    > Windows, and Windows begets more applications as it's the majority
    > solution.

    And in this regard Vista fails miserably compared to XP.

    As for platforms, one can standardise one's software stack on rubbish
    like Exchange; Access; MSSQL; MS Office; Windows Server ; and any
    number of other slow; bloated; insecure; unstable; non-interoperable;
    quirky; unpredictable; Microsoft Slopware, or one can just as easily
    standardise on LAMP; OpenOffice; Evolution Data Server; etc.

    Unless all these /business/ systems somehow need to be compatible with
    Grand Theft Auto and Tiger Woods Golf, for some particular reason.

    Well OK, they would get to miss out on all that Malware if they chose a
    FOSS stack. Being in a spam botnet may give them a sense of "community".

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    07:59:48 up 165 days, 4:35, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

  7. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:00:08 +0100
    <0p6fh5-m15.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer wrote on Tue, 03
    >> Jun 2008 00:45:45 +0100 :

    >>> "Recently analysts have come out in support of Vista ... claiming
    >>> organizations could miss out on important business benefits"

    >> Like being locked into Palladium. ;-)
    >>
    >>> What a load of BS. What "business benefits" will an *OS* bring
    >>> anyone, much less a totally dysfunctional OS like Vista?

    >> Well, there is the issue of common protocol/API. Applications expect
    >> Windows, and Windows begets more applications as it's the majority
    >> solution.

    > And in this regard Vista fails miserably compared to XP.

    Well, the drivers did get a little messed up; not sure if that
    counts as common API admittedly. I was thinking application layer.

    > As for platforms, one can standardise one's software stack on rubbish
    > like Exchange; Access; MSSQL; MS Office; Windows Server ; and any
    > number of other slow; bloated; insecure; unstable; non-interoperable;
    > quirky; unpredictable; Microsoft Slopware, or one can just as easily
    > standardise on LAMP; OpenOffice; Evolution Data Server; etc.
    >
    > Unless all these /business/ systems somehow need to be compatible with
    > Grand Theft Auto and Tiger Woods Golf, for some particular reason.
    >
    > Well OK, they would get to miss out on all that Malware if they chose a
    > FOSS stack. Being in a spam botnet may give them a sense of "community".

    Ideally, they would...but that would require people to
    cure their ignorance (difficult, but not impossible)
    and actually think on what they're doing. ;-)

    Still, I think people are thinking now, if only because
    Microsoft's botched it so badly (more than once in fact;
    WinMe was Strike 1, and Vista appears to be swing and a
    miss, when it could have been a grand slam home run had
    Microsoft bothered to actually notice where the ball was.)

    It's not over by any means.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }

  8. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll

  9. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll

  10. Re: [News] Vista Shunned by UK CIOs, So Richard 'Microsoft' Steel Blames "Anti-Microsoft"

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Homer on Tuesday 03 June 2008 00:45 : \____
    >
    >> "Recently analysts have come out in support of Vista ... claiming
    >> organizations could miss out on important business benefits"
    >>
    >> What a load of BS. What "business benefits" will an *OS* bring anyone,
    >> much less a totally dysfunctional OS like Vista? It's an operating
    >> system for Christ's sake, it's supposed to sit invisibly in the
    >> background and just work. If it doesn't work then it brings chaos and
    >> financial loss. Since when is "software working" singled out as a
    >> "benefit"? Surely that's supposed to be a given.
    >>
    >> As for these "analysts" ... yeah they just popped up out of nowhere, for
    >> no particular reason, and started singing the praises of a completely
    >> broken operating system. I wonder why?
    >>
    >> LOL!
    >>
    >> Why don't these "analysts" rebrand their biznizes« as paid advertisers?
    >> That's what they really are, after all.

    > Someone days ago I caught a glimpse at how it works. I already knew that Gates
    > and Ellison are Gartner's big beneficiaries (investors/bribing
    > parties/whatever). Microsoft and Oracle pay $7000 (or half) to produce
    > a 'Report'. I heard this from a business owner (I think) from China, who is
    > also a Microsoft investor.
    >
    > If companies like Red Hat want positive publicity from the likes of Gartner,
    > they need to pay up as well.
    >
    > Gartner = advertisers in suits. They need to be embargoed by the media, but
    > there is little hope in the United States of Advertising.

    You're quite right, this is how it works, but in a sense, it's even
    worse than that, because it won't just cost US$7,000, because Gartner or
    whoever will weigh what they say against their potential for further
    revenue from Microsoft. The price/word a small vendor will pay is going
    to be much higher than a large vendor - sort of quantity discount, if
    you like.