CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time." - Linux

This is a discussion on CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time." - Linux ; http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9954272-16.html OpenOffice.org Ninja has posted an interesting analysis for anyone who has found themselves complaining that OpenOffice is slower than frozen honey on a frozen three-toed sloth's frozen right nostril. The spoiler? It's getting slower all the time. The author ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9954272-16.html

    OpenOffice.org Ninja has posted an interesting analysis for anyone who has
    found themselves complaining that OpenOffice is slower than frozen honey on
    a frozen three-toed sloth's frozen right nostril.

    The spoiler? It's getting slower all the time.

    The author tries to downplay OpenOffice's alleged sluggishness by saying,
    "It's unrealistic for software to be faster over time: newer software does
    more work. When a newer version performs more quickly, it generally means
    the previous version was inefficient."

    All true. But perhaps we should be expecting OpenOffice's inefficiencies to
    be rectified and improved over time.

  2. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    Micoshaft fraudster Ezekiel wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    In a straight speed test, Micoshaft oriffice fails to beat Open Office
    time and time and time again.

    If I make a photo album for example with 160 photos, two per page, each
    1600x1200, then I can open that document in 3 seconds in Open Office.

    Micoshaft ? - well,.... I'll post you the answer next week.

    Is that you Ezekiel oh proprietory outlook express mail user you?

    (And did you click to agree to Bill Goatse's license before using it?)

  3. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:38:20 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9954272-16.html
    >

    > OpenOffice.org Ninja has posted an interesting analysis for anyone who has
    > found themselves complaining that OpenOffice is slower than frozen honey on
    > a frozen three-toed sloth's frozen right nostril.
    >
    > The spoiler? It's getting slower all the time.
    >
    > The author tries to downplay OpenOffice's alleged sluggishness by saying,
    > "It's unrealistic for software to be faster over time: newer software does
    > more work. When a newer version performs more quickly, it generally means
    > the previous version was inefficient."
    >
    > All true. But perhaps we should be expecting OpenOffice's inefficiencies to
    > be rectified and improved over time.

    It's classic Linux *advocacy*.

    The old "it's good enough for me" routine.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    On 2008-06-02, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:38:20 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9954272-16.html
    >>

    >> OpenOffice.org Ninja has posted an interesting analysis for anyone who has
    >> found themselves complaining that OpenOffice is slower than frozen honey on
    >> a frozen three-toed sloth's frozen right nostril.
    >>
    >> The spoiler? It's getting slower all the time.
    >>
    >> The author tries to downplay OpenOffice's alleged sluggishness by saying,
    >> "It's unrealistic for software to be faster over time: newer software does
    >> more work. When a newer version performs more quickly, it generally means
    >> the previous version was inefficient."
    >>
    >> All true. But perhaps we should be expecting OpenOffice's inefficiencies to
    >> be rectified and improved over time.
    >>

    > It's classic Linux *advocacy*.
    >
    > The old "it's good enough for me" routine.

    Well... in a FREE MARKET this is a very appropriate approach.

    No one has to worry about what the next guy uses. He doesn't have to be concerned
    about the next guy forcing some upgrade on him because he's gotten himself the
    latest and greatest version of "market leader with vendorlock" product.

    OO vs. MO arguments should be relegated to the paintball arena like is is for
    products based on open standards and free choice.

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  5. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> It's classic Linux *advocacy*.
    >>
    >> The old "it's good enough for me" routine.

    > Well... in a FREE MARKET this is a very appropriate approach.

    Who can understand these fsckwitted trolls? Is it really difficult to
    understand that these products all have pros and cons, and that product A
    need not need to beat product B in every way to be the preferred product?

    Should the free Angelcar be discounted, if it slightly slower then the
    very expensive Devilcar?

  6. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.02.20.45.09.503329@nospam.invalid...
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >>> It's classic Linux *advocacy*.
    >>>
    >>> The old "it's good enough for me" routine.

    >> Well... in a FREE MARKET this is a very appropriate approach.

    > Who can understand these fsckwitted trolls? Is it really difficult to
    > understand that these products all have pros and cons, and that product A
    > need not need to beat product B in every way to be the preferred product?

    OpenOffice:

    Pros: It's free so cheapskates that live in mom's basement can use it too.
    Cons: Everything else.

  7. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    On 2008-06-02, chrisv wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >>> It's classic Linux *advocacy*.
    >>>
    >>> The old "it's good enough for me" routine.

    >> Well... in a FREE MARKET this is a very appropriate approach.

    > Who can understand these fsckwitted trolls? Is it really difficult to
    > understand that these products all have pros and cons, and that product A
    > need not need to beat product B in every way to be the preferred product?
    >
    > Should the free Angelcar be discounted, if it slightly slower then the
    > very expensive Devilcar?

    ....that's assuming you take everything at face value.

    I don't. Not in the least. I don't see the problem.

    If anything, OO suffers from being too much like MS office.

    Something that breaks the pattern of being a Word Perfect/Lotus123
    clone would probably be far better than either.

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||

  8. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:12:11 -0400
    <85458$4844622c$14947@news.teranews.com>:

    > "chrisv" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.06.02.20.45.09.503329@nospam.invalid...

    >>> Well... in a FREE MARKET this is a very appropriate approach.

    >> Who can understand these fsckwitted trolls? Is it really difficult to
    >> understand that these products all have pros and cons, and that product A
    >> need not need to beat product B in every way to be the preferred product?

    > OpenOffice:
    >
    > Pros: It's free so cheapskates that live in mom's basement can use it too.
    > Cons: Everything else.

    Well, there you have it; the justification for the
    continued existence of Microsoft Office (and by extension
    Microsoft) in a nutshell!

    Care to be a wee bit more specific on the bugs there, laddie? :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  9. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    On 2008-06-02, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "chrisv" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.06.02.20.45.09.503329@nospam.invalid...

    >>> Well... in a FREE MARKET this is a very appropriate approach.

    >> Who can understand these fsckwitted trolls? Is it really difficult to
    >> understand that these products all have pros and cons, and that product A
    >> need not need to beat product B in every way to be the preferred product?

    > OpenOffice:
    >
    > Pros: It's free so cheapskates that live in mom's basement can use it too.
    > Cons: Everything else.

    Why should I have to pay $400 for a word processor that I am not going
    to use 95% of? That's just STUPID. It's moronic waste like that that
    causes $4.00 gas.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  10. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-06-02, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:38:20 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9954272-16.html
    >>>

    >>> OpenOffice.org Ninja has posted an interesting analysis for anyone who has
    >>> found themselves complaining that OpenOffice is slower than frozen honey on
    >>> a frozen three-toed sloth's frozen right nostril.
    >>>
    >>> The spoiler? It's getting slower all the time.
    >>>

    >> It's classic Linux *advocacy*.
    >>
    >> The old "it's good enough for me" routine.

    > Well... in a FREE MARKET this is a very appropriate approach.
    >
    > No one has to worry about what the next guy uses. He doesn't have
    > to be concerned about the next guy forcing some upgrade on him
    > because he's gotten himself the latest and greatest version of
    > "market leader with vendorlock" product.
    >
    > OO vs. MO arguments should be relegated to the paintball arena
    > like is is for products based on open standards and free choice.

    Of course, Zeke's selective quoting comes into play. Here's some of
    what he ignores:

    http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/open...benchmark.html

    In other words, today's dual-core CPUs run Vista about as fast as an
    ancient 80286 (20 years ago) running MS-DOS 3.1.

    . . .

    Cold and warm document open times resemble each other, but the cold
    times are twice as long. Again, the gap is caused by hard drive
    performance.

    . . .

    Scrolling is less important performance metric. Nevertheless, the
    chart's shape is interesting. To my surprise, OpenOffice.org 3.0
    DEV300_m3 breaks the trend and improves performance over version 2.4.
    I would have expected new features such as notes-in-the-margin
    feature to slow 3.0 down.

    A comment:

    it seems to me that ooo was construed as an MS-word replacement, and
    replicates many of its dinosaurish feature-bloat-flaws.

    when i find myself having to work on interchangeable documents, i use
    ooo, and i enjoy the excellent builtin document conversion features
    to "interoperate" with MS-victims.

    I wonder if the Dan Kegel who comments is the one who has some
    performance code posted out there.

    In any case, on my systems (except for the old P III), performance with
    version is (subjectively) faster, so I don't really care what the URLs
    say. I'm happy with OpenOffice 2.4. That is, as happy as I can be with
    a GUI office suite -- I'd prefer to use vi for editing, even for
    spreadsheets.

    This, to me, is more bothersome than Zeke's stupid troll-bait:

    Also, this "re-implement everything" mentality makes certain
    things harder for the users.

    For instance, when you adjust fonts in GNOME (e.g., enabling
    or disabling anti-aliasing), OO.o happily ignores your
    system-wide changes. You have to do specifically ajust OO.o
    too.

    Incidentally, Firefox has the same mentality. That's why
    it is so slow (well, fortunatelly KDE and Apple made
    webkit) and also ignores your font settings.

    --
    Unfortunately, many programs are so big that there is no one individual who
    really knows all the pieces, and so the amount of code sharing you get isn't

  11. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > ...that's assuming you take everything at face value.

    When Zeke posts, even by proxy, you cannot take much at all at face
    value.

    > I don't. Not in the least. I don't see the problem.
    >
    > If anything, OO suffers from being too much like MS office.
    >
    > Something that breaks the pattern of being a Word Perfect/Lotus123
    > clone would probably be far better than either.

    Such as LyX and sc (spreadsheet calculator).

    --
    There never was a chip, it is said, that Bill Gates couldn't slow down with a
    new batch of features.

  12. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:12:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "chrisv" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.06.02.20.45.09.503329@nospam.invalid...

    >>> Well... in a FREE MARKET this is a very appropriate approach.

    >> Who can understand these fsckwitted trolls? Is it really difficult to
    >> understand that these products all have pros and cons, and that product A
    >> need not need to beat product B in every way to be the preferred product?

    > OpenOffice:
    >
    > Pros: It's free so cheapskates that live in mom's basement can use it too.
    > Cons: Everything else.

    OpenOffice is *good enough* if you don't mind the bloat and don't plan on
    sharing documents, especially complex documents with others who more than
    likely are using MSOffice and expect to see *.doc format.

    Most people barely scratch the surface of what modern Office suites can do.

    However, they still prefer MSOffice over the freebee OpenOffice.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is gettingslower all the time."

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 18:36:28 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:12:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "chrisv" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2008.06.02.20.45.09.503329@nospam.invalid...

    >>> Who can understand these fsckwitted trolls? Is it really difficult to
    >>> understand that these products all have pros and cons, and that
    >>> product A need not need to beat product B in every way to be the
    >>> preferred product?

    >> OpenOffice:
    >>
    >> Pros: It's free so cheapskates that live in mom's basement can use it
    >> too. Cons: Everything else.

    > OpenOffice is *good enough* if you don't mind the bloat and don't plan

    Microsoft Office might be *good enough* if you don't mind the bloat.

    > on sharing documents, especially complex documents with others who more
    > than likely are using MSOffice and expect to see *.doc format.

    Actually, they can share documents. They can probably share almost all
    their documents.

    > Most people barely scratch the surface of what modern Office suites can
    > do.
    >
    > However, they still prefer MSOffice over the freebee OpenOffice.

    You keep pushing that statement, even you know it to be a lie. Most of
    those people just want what everyone else has. If an employer and/or
    school moves to OpenOffce, many of the employess and/or students would
    move to OpenOffice at home.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:51:03 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 18:36:28 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:12:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "chrisv" wrote in message
    >>> newsan.2008.06.02.20.45.09.503329@nospam.invalid...

    >>> OpenOffice:
    >>>
    >>> Pros: It's free so cheapskates that live in mom's basement can use it
    >>> too. Cons: Everything else.

    >> OpenOffice is *good enough* if you don't mind the bloat and don't plan

    > Microsoft Office might be *good enough* if you don't mind the bloat.

    It's good enough for 99.4 percent of the desktop users.....

    >> on sharing documents, especially complex documents with others who more
    >> than likely are using MSOffice and expect to see *.doc format.

    > Actually, they can share documents. They can probably share almost all
    > their documents.

    Key word "probably"...
    I won't bet my career on it would you?

    >> Most people barely scratch the surface of what modern Office suites can
    >> do.
    >>
    >> However, they still prefer MSOffice over the freebee OpenOffice.

    > You keep pushing that statement, even you know it to be a lie. Most of
    > those people just want what everyone else has. If an employer and/or
    > school moves to OpenOffce, many of the employess and/or students would
    > move to OpenOffice at home.

    Free vs expensive.....
    It's a no brainer....

    Assuming of course the free stacks up reasonably to the expensive....
    That's where Linux and OSS dies...

    Hey, firefox is doing great, explain that one away...

    I'll save you the time, firefox is BETTER than IE.
    Linux is NOT better than Windows.
    OpenOffice is NOT better than MSOffice...

    That's your answer.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-06-02, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> OpenOffice:
    >>
    >> Pros: It's free so cheapskates that live in mom's basement can use it too.
    >> Cons: Everything else.

    > Why should I have to pay $400 for a word processor that I am not going
    > to use 95% of? That's just STUPID. It's moronic waste like that that
    > causes $4.00 gas.

    It is strange, isn't it, this attraction to names rather than substance?

    I met an acquaintance in an office store. He was buying a graphics
    program for his mate. I brought up some very good free software, the
    GNU Image Manipulation Program.

    It was like he didn't even hear me.

    To be fair, at the back of his mind might have been this:

    Must fulfill mission. Must get exactly the program mate asked for.
    Must not deviate. (What is Chris nattering about?)

    By the way, look at the global-village idiot's explanation for code
    bloat:

    --
    Programs today get very fat; the enhancements tend to slow the programs down
    because people put in special checks. When they want to add some feature,

  16. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    >Trolling fsckwit wrote:
    >>
    >> OpenOffice:
    >>
    >> Pros: It's free so cheapskates that live in mom's basement can use it too.
    >> Cons: Everything else.

    Nope. You obviously missed the angel/devil portion of my analogy,
    fsckwit.

  17. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    Linonut wrote:

    >Of course, Zeke's selective quoting comes into play. Here's some of
    >what he ignores:
    >
    >(snip)

    A dishonest nym-shifting troll? Say it ain't so!

  18. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slowerall the time."

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:51:03 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> OpenOffice is *good enough* if you don't mind the bloat and don't plan

    >> Microsoft Office might be *good enough* if you don't mind the bloat.

    > It's good enough for 99.4 percent of the desktop users.....

    .... so they don't mind the bloat...

    >>> on sharing documents, especially complex documents with others who more
    >>> than likely are using MSOffice and expect to see *.doc format.

    >> Actually, they can share documents. They can probably share almost all
    >> their documents.

    > Key word "probably"...
    > I won't bet my career on it would you?

    yes.

    >>> Most people barely scratch the surface of what modern Office suites can
    >>> do.
    >>>
    >>> However, they still prefer MSOffice over the freebee OpenOffice.

    >> You keep pushing that statement, even you know it to be a lie. Most of
    >> those people just want what everyone else has. If an employer and/or
    >> school moves to OpenOffce, many of the employess and/or students would
    >> move to OpenOffice at home.

    > Free vs expensive.....
    > It's a no brainer....

    And that is the route of your known dishonesty. There is much more to
    switching than just the price of the software, and you damn well know it.

    > Assuming of course the free stacks up reasonably to the expensive....

    It does.

    > That's where Linux and OSS dies...

    Liar.

    > Hey, firefox is doing great, explain that one away...

    There is no data to transfer. Web surfing apps are very similar, so one
    looks very much like another. There is no $ investment to lose. Firefox
    offered tabbed browsing before IE. There is much less malware associated
    with Firefox than IE.

    > I'll save you the time, firefox is BETTER than IE.
    > Linux is NOT better than Windows.

    Yes, it is.

    > OpenOffice is NOT better than MSOffice...

    For many people, it is at least as good.

    > That's your answer.

    I gave you the answers.

  19. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  20. Re: CNet News (not really) - "OpenOffice (bloatware) is getting slower all the time."

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast