Android will be 100% open source, says Google - Linux

This is a discussion on Android will be 100% open source, says Google - Linux ; "Contrary to some reports, everything that makes Android “Android”, including all the core platform components and libraries needed to port Android to new devices will be open sourced under commonly used, industry standard licenses, says Google." http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=579&tag=nl.e539 -RFH...

  1. Android will be 100% open source, says Google

    "Contrary to some reports, everything that makes Android “Android”,
    including all the core platform components and libraries needed to
    port Android to new devices will be open sourced under commonly used,
    industry standard licenses, says Google."

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=579&tag=nl.e539

    -RFH

  2. Re: Android will be 100% open source, says Google

    >"Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >
    >"Contrary to some reports, everything that makes Android “Android”,
    >including all the core platform components and libraries needed to
    >port Android to new devices will be open sourced under commonly used,
    >industry standard licenses, says Google."
    >
    >http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=579&tag=nl.e539
    >
    >-RFH

    Except for the secret API's and parts that Google won't open source.

    While Google encourages everyone to make their own code open if possible, it’s
    not required by the license. Even Google plans to make a few of their
    applications closed-source, including their GMail application.

    A Google employee I talked to felt the need to apologize for this. “We’re
    not holding it back for any nefarious purpose,” says Dick Wall on the
    Android team. “We’re simply not ready to publish the API that talks to the
    back end server.”

  3. Re: Android will be 100% open source, says Google

    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    So what the hell over happened with that OpenMoko phone that was supposed to
    be completely open?

    Did that go the way of most OSS projects like the open video card and open
    TV tuner card and simply vanish off the face of the earth?