Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software - Linux ; Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:19:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > > >> | John Nash, network manager and head of ICT for SIA, said: "This academic >> | year, rather than using proprietary software, what ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

  1. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:19:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> | John Nash, network manager and head of ICT for SIA, said: "This academic
    >> | year, rather than using proprietary software, what we've done is be slightly
    >> | different and use things like the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
    >> | instead of Photoshop, Scribus for desktop publishing and InkScape, which is a
    >> | full, scalable vector graphics program."

    > Yea, that will look great on a resume .
    >
    > I can see it now:
    >
    > Interviewer: "Do you have any Photoshop experience?"
    >
    > Job Applicant: " Well I've been using Gimp"
    >
    > Interviewer: " You don't seem like a Gimp to me. Why are you so hard on
    > yourself?"
    >
    > Job Applicant: "No, no no. I didn't say I *am* a Gimp, I said I *use* Gimp.
    >
    > It's a *GNU* program.
    >
    > Interviewer: Oh I see. So it's *new*? What happened to the old version?
    >
    > Well leave your resume with the secretary and we will be in touch.

    ... and your dishonest bigtory shines though.
    It seems these they have already had exposure to Photoshop, etc. Why
    shouldn't they be have experience with other software?

  2. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    Rick wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >> Yea, that will look great on a resume .
    >>
    >> I can see it now:
    >>
    >> Interviewer: "Do you have any Photoshop experience?"
    >>
    >> Job Applicant: " Well I've been using Gimp"
    >>
    >> Interviewer: " You don't seem like a Gimp to me. Why are you so hard
    >> on yourself?"
    >>
    >> Job Applicant: "No, no no. I didn't say I *am* a Gimp, I said I
    >> *use* Gimp. It's a *GNU* program.
    >>
    >> Interviewer: Oh I see. So it's *new*? What happened to the old
    >> version? Well leave your resume with the secretary and we will be in
    >> touch.
    >>

    > .. and your dishonest bigtory shines though.
    > It seems these they have already had exposure to Photoshop, etc. Why
    > shouldn't they be have experience with other software?

    They probably should. But, not some obscure junk like 'Gimp'.

  4. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > They probably should. But, not some obscure junk like 'Gimp'.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...aphics_editors

    This list shows Photoshop and GIMP in the same list, along with a lot of
    other graphics editors that really /are/ obscure.

    And GIMP is supported on more platform's than is Photoshop. And it
    competes pretty well with Photoshop and and Paintshop Pro on features.

    Not bad for a freebie.

    This one is funny:

    Microsoft Paint No No No No No Partial Yes No No
    No No No No No

    Good thing GIMP is ported to Windows:

    GIMP Yes Yes Yes Yes Partial [15] Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Yes Yes Yes No Yes

    --
    In terms of doing things I take a fairly scientific approach to why things
    happen and how they happen. I don't know if there's a god or not, but I

  5. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >They probably should. But, not some obscure junk like 'Gimp'.

    Ignore the forger.

  6. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> They probably should. But, not some obscure junk like 'Gimp'.

    > Ignore the forger.

    Erm... Isn't that you?

    *plonk*

  7. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    >> chrisv wrote:
    >>
    >>> They probably should. But, not some obscure junk like 'Gimp'.

    >> Ignore the forger.

    > Erm... Isn't that you?
    >
    > *plonk*

    No. Astraweb ==> bad chrisv, Giganews ==> good chrisv.

    --
    We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and
    underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself

  8. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    Linonut wrote:
    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >>> Ignore the forger.

    >> Erm... Isn't that you?
    >>
    >> *plonk*

    > No. Astraweb ==> bad chrisv, Giganews ==> good chrisv.

    Nonsense. There's no such thing as a bad chrisv.

  9. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:19:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >>| John Nash, network manager and head of ICT for SIA, said: "This academic
    >>| year, rather than using proprietary software, what we've done is be
    >>slightly
    >>| different and use things like the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
    >>| instead of Photoshop, Scribus for desktop publishing and InkScape, which
    >>is a
    >>| full, scalable vector graphics program."

    > Yea, that will look great on a resume .
    >
    > I can see it now:
    >
    > Interviewer: "Do you have any Photoshop experience?"
    >
    > Job Applicant: " Well I've been using Gimp"
    >
    > Interviewer: " You don't seem like a Gimp to me. Why are you so hard on
    > yourself?"
    >
    > Job Applicant: "No, no no. I didn't say I *am* a Gimp, I said I *use*
    > Gimp.
    >
    > It's a *GNU* program.
    >
    > Interviewer: Oh I see. So it's *new*? What happened to the old version?
    >
    > Well leave your resume with the secretary and we will be in touch.

    Or it could go....

    Interviewer: Hey, can you teach us?

    Job Applicant: Yep, no problem.

    Interviewer: When can you start?

  10. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:07:41 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>>slightly
    >>>is a

    >> Yea, that will look great on a resume .
    >>
    >> I can see it now:
    >>
    >> Interviewer: "Do you have any Photoshop experience?"
    >>
    >> Job Applicant: " Well I've been using Gimp"
    >>
    >> Interviewer: " You don't seem like a Gimp to me. Why are you so hard on
    >> yourself?"
    >>
    >> Job Applicant: "No, no no. I didn't say I *am* a Gimp, I said I *use*
    >> Gimp.
    >>
    >> It's a *GNU* program.
    >>
    >> Interviewer: Oh I see. So it's *new*? What happened to the old version?
    >>
    >> Well leave your resume with the secretary and we will be in touch.

    > Or it could go....
    >
    > Interviewer: Hey, can you teach us?
    >
    > Job Applicant: Yep, no problem.
    >
    > Interviewer: When can you start?

    Yea sure.....

    The idea is to USE Photoshop to produce products that earn the company
    $$$$$

    The idea is NOT to have some new hire come into the company and proceed to
    try and switch the staff, most of whom are probably experts at Photoshop,
    to Gimp.

    Obviously you've never worked at a real job or you wouldn't be making an
    idiotic comment like that.

    BTW I thought you kill filed me?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:07:41 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >

    >>"Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>>Yea, that will look great on a resume .
    >>>
    >>>I can see it now:
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: "Do you have any Photoshop experience?"
    >>>
    >>>Job Applicant: " Well I've been using Gimp"
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: " You don't seem like a Gimp to me. Why are you so hard on
    >>>yourself?"
    >>>
    >>>Job Applicant: "No, no no. I didn't say I *am* a Gimp, I said I *use*
    >>>Gimp.
    >>>
    >>>It's a *GNU* program.
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: Oh I see. So it's *new*? What happened to the old version?
    >>>
    >>>Well leave your resume with the secretary and we will be in touch.

    >>Or it could go....
    >>
    >>Interviewer: Hey, can you teach us?
    >>
    >>Job Applicant: Yep, no problem.
    >>
    >>Interviewer: When can you start?

    > Yea sure.....
    >
    > The idea is to USE Photoshop to produce products that earn the company
    > $$$$$
    >
    > The idea is NOT to have some new hire come into the company and proceed to
    > try and switch the staff, most of whom are probably experts at Photoshop,
    > to Gimp.
    >
    > Obviously you've never worked at a real job or you wouldn't be making an
    > idiotic comment like that.
    >
    > BTW I thought you kill filed me?

    He's an IT (Idiot in Training)...they haven't yet covered that
    chapter!...LOL
    Frank

  12. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> They probably should. But, not some obscure junk like 'Gimp'.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...aphics_editors
    >
    > This list shows Photoshop and GIMP in the same list, along with a lot
    > of other graphics editors that really /are/ obscure.
    >
    > And GIMP is supported on more platform's than is Photoshop. And it
    > competes pretty well with Photoshop and and Paintshop Pro on
    > features.

    I've used Photoshop and I've used the Gimp, and other than Photoshop's
    £571.99 GBP ($1,123.32 USD) price tag [1], I can't really see much
    difference.

    Like I've said before, Photoshop is one of the most over-hyped and
    overpriced pieces of software ever.

    It kind of makes you wonder exactly /who/ is providing all that hype,
    doesn't it, given that so few people can afford it?

    > Not bad for a freebie.

    Bloody excellent for a freebie, but more importantly it's Free, which is
    all I really care about. It could cost double the price of Photoshop for
    all I care, it is Free Software, and that's what counts, especially when
    it comes to running that software on architectures that would be
    otherwise unsupported. An eleven hundred dollar box of software is
    worthless if it won't even run on your machine.

    [1] Current UK price (before discounts) quoted at Amazon UK.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    01:50:34 up 164 days, 22:26, 5 users, load average: 1.18, 0.68, 0.33

  13. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:21:27 -0700, Frank wrote:

    >Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:07:41 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>>Or it could go....
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: Hey, can you teach us?
    >>>
    >>>Job Applicant: Yep, no problem.
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: When can you start?

    >> Yea sure.....
    >>
    >> The idea is to USE Photoshop to produce products that earn the company
    >> $$$$$
    >>
    >> The idea is NOT to have some new hire come into the company and proceed to
    >> try and switch the staff, most of whom are probably experts at Photoshop,
    >> to Gimp.
    >>
    >> Obviously you've never worked at a real job or you wouldn't be making an
    >> idiotic comment like that.
    >>
    >> BTW I thought you kill filed me?
    >>

    >He's an IT (Idiot in Training)...they haven't yet covered that
    >chapter!...LOL
    >Frank

    Frank is a DF (dumb ****) and was an idiot from birth.

    GIMP by the way is very capable and similar to Photoshop. If you know
    how to use one, you can use the other almost immediately will little
    retraining.

    Of course ****-ups like Frank are still trying to decide which hand to
    use to wipe his **** encrusted ass with.

  14. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:07:41 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >

    >>"Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>>Yea, that will look great on a resume .
    >>>
    >>>I can see it now:
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: "Do you have any Photoshop experience?"
    >>>
    >>>Job Applicant: " Well I've been using Gimp"
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: " You don't seem like a Gimp to me. Why are you so hard on
    >>>yourself?"
    >>>
    >>>Job Applicant: "No, no no. I didn't say I *am* a Gimp, I said I *use*
    >>>Gimp.
    >>>
    >>>It's a *GNU* program.
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: Oh I see. So it's *new*? What happened to the old version?
    >>>
    >>>Well leave your resume with the secretary and we will be in touch.

    >>Or it could go....
    >>
    >>Interviewer: Hey, can you teach us?
    >>
    >>Job Applicant: Yep, no problem.
    >>
    >>Interviewer: When can you start?

    > Yea sure.....
    >
    > The idea is to USE Photoshop to produce products that earn the company
    > $$$$$
    >
    > The idea is NOT to have some new hire come into the company and proceed to
    > try and switch the staff, most of whom are probably experts at Photoshop,
    > to Gimp.
    >
    > Obviously you've never worked at a real job or you wouldn't be making an
    > idiotic comment like that.
    >
    > BTW I thought you kill filed me?

    hehehe...I see that we already have one idiot moron loser (mr drunken
    pig in cause you haven't already guessed) who actually thinks that
    "gimp" (where do those fukkin linux FANATICAL ZEALOTS COME UP WITH SUCH
    STUPID FUKKIN NAMES?) is equal to Adobe Photoshop CS3!
    Obviously, all this jackass does is crop his p&s snaps!...LOL!
    Frank

  15. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:21:44 -0700, Frank wrote:

    >Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:07:41 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>>Or it could go....
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: Hey, can you teach us?
    >>>
    >>>Job Applicant: Yep, no problem.
    >>>
    >>>Interviewer: When can you start?

    >> Yea sure.....
    >>
    >> The idea is to USE Photoshop to produce products that earn the company
    >> $$$$$
    >>
    >> The idea is NOT to have some new hire come into the company and proceed to
    >> try and switch the staff, most of whom are probably experts at Photoshop,
    >> to Gimp.
    >>
    >> Obviously you've never worked at a real job or you wouldn't be making an
    >> idiotic comment like that.
    >>
    >> BTW I thought you kill filed me?
    >>

    >hehehe...I see that we already have one idiot moron loser (mr drunken
    >pig in cause you haven't already guessed) who actually thinks that
    >"gimp" (where do those fukkin linux FANATICAL ZEALOTS COME UP WITH SUCH
    >STUPID FUKKIN NAMES?) is equal to Adobe Photoshop CS3!
    >Obviously, all this jackass does is crop his p&s snaps!...LOL!
    >Frank

    Frank being nothing but a **** stained jackass and ****wit has no idea
    what a acronym is.

    GIMP stands for (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) so as usual Frank
    screaming 'where do those ****ing linux FANATICAL ZEALOTS COME UP WITH
    SUCH STUPID FUKKIN NAMES? confirms again what a total uneducated idiot
    Frank really is.

    Don't you just love it when Frank always manages to prove himself what
    a dip****, asshole and damn fool he really is? I sure enjoy watching
    the this clown dance and always falling down banging his head on the
    ground because one thing is sure, Frank will ****-up whatever he's
    currently whining about. He's that stupid.

    Now for your further education moron, I've used Photoshop since
    version two, which goes back many years. That's why I can say GIMP is
    very close and actually better that Photoshop in some areas.

    Of course Frank never lets facts get in the way of his obvious hatred
    of all things Linux which itself proves Frank is bigoted, racist, foul
    mouth little turd that we just loves to kick around for the heck of it
    because you can bet the farm this retard is wrong 99% of the time
    regardless the topic.

  16. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 01:51:59 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> They probably should. But, not some obscure junk like 'Gimp'.

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...aphics_editors
    >>
    >> This list shows Photoshop and GIMP in the same list, along with a lot
    >> of other graphics editors that really /are/ obscure.
    >>
    >> And GIMP is supported on more platform's than is Photoshop. And it
    >> competes pretty well with Photoshop and and Paintshop Pro on
    >> features.

    > I've used Photoshop and I've used the Gimp, and other than Photoshop's
    > 571.99 GBP ($1,123.32 USD) price tag [1], I can't really see much
    > difference.

    That's because you are not a professional.
    Think UI.

    > Like I've said before, Photoshop is one of the most over-hyped and
    > overpriced pieces of software ever.

    And Gimp is free and multiplatform to boot.
    If Gimp was a Photoshop killer, it would have killed Photoshop by now.
    It's not.

    > It kind of makes you wonder exactly /who/ is providing all that hype,
    > doesn't it, given that so few people can afford it?

    Again, Photoshop is targeted at professionals.
    The lite versions are more than enough for amateaurs though.

    >> Not bad for a freebie.

    > Bloody excellent for a freebie, but more importantly it's Free, which is
    > all I really care about. It could cost double the price of Photoshop for
    > all I care, it is Free Software, and that's what counts, especially when
    > it comes to running that software on architectures that would be
    > otherwise unsupported. An eleven hundred dollar box of software is
    > worthless if it won't even run on your machine.

    Like I said, you are not a professional.
    A professional needs professional, industry standard tools in order to get
    the work out.
    The UI is most important.
    Transportability is another issue.
    Skill at using is another.

    Can they use free software?
    Probably, but why would they want to?

    You want to because you are a radical with an agenda.
    The guy using Photoshop is an artist who wants to earn a living.

    Think of it this way, you are hanging a picture on a wall.
    Do you really need a $150.00 hammer with a carbon fiber handle?
    Would you even know the difference between that one or the $3.99 Dollar
    Heaven Special?

    Probably not.

    A person who is a professional carpenter will though which is why he will
    more than likely have a much higher grade ($$$$$$$) of tools than you will.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    Frank wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:07:41 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>> Or it could go....
    >>>
    >>> Interviewer: Hey, can you teach us?
    >>>
    >>> Job Applicant: Yep, no problem.
    >>>
    >>> Interviewer: When can you start?

    >> Yea sure.....
    >>
    >> The idea is to USE Photoshop to produce products that earn the company
    >> $$$$$
    >>
    >> The idea is NOT to have some new hire come into the company and
    >> proceed to
    >> try and switch the staff, most of whom are probably experts at Photoshop,
    >> to Gimp.
    >>
    >> Obviously you've never worked at a real job or you wouldn't be making an
    >> idiotic comment like that.
    >>
    >> BTW I thought you kill filed me?
    >>

    > hehehe...I see that we already have one idiot moron loser (mr drunken
    > pig in cause you haven't already guessed) who actually thinks that
    > "gimp" (where do those fukkin linux FANATICAL ZEALOTS COME UP WITH SUCH
    > STUPID FUKKIN NAMES?) is equal to Adobe Photoshop CS3!
    > Obviously, all this jackass does is crop his p&s snaps!...LOL!
    > Frank

    Now that dumb fukk wants us to believe that he actually knows how to use
    Photoshop...ahhahahahahahah...that is downright hilarious!!!
    Especially when that ****-for-brains drunken pig can't even get his one
    little install of Vista Business to run properly!
    He's pathetic!
    But his lies a priceless!!!
    Frank

  18. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    Adam Albright wrote:

    > Frank being nothing but a **** stained jackass and ****wit has no idea
    > what a acronym is.

    it would help if you would not respond to his assinine post. frank is
    nothing but a nym-shifting son of a bitch, just like flatfish.

    here is a list of all of the nyms he changes to get past filters with.
    however, the stupid bastard post from his own isp, which he cannot mask or
    hide behind. if i were you, i would send a abuse report to his isp

  19. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:04:48 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 01:51:59 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >>> * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...aphics_editors
    >>>
    >>> This list shows Photoshop and GIMP in the same list, along with a lot
    >>> of other graphics editors that really /are/ obscure.
    >>>
    >>> And GIMP is supported on more platform's than is Photoshop. And it
    >>> competes pretty well with Photoshop and and Paintshop Pro on features.

    >> I've used Photoshop and I've used the Gimp, and other than Photoshop's
    >> £571.99 GBP ($1,123.32 USD) price tag [1], I can't really see much
    >> difference.

    > That's because you are not a professional. Think UI.

    Think: people who intially learn one UI and become very comfortable with
    it are almost always uncomfortable with a different UI.

    >> Like I've said before, Photoshop is one of the most over-hyped and
    >> overpriced pieces of software ever.

    > And Gimp is free and multiplatform to boot. If Gimp was a Photoshop
    > killer, it would have killed Photoshop by now. It's not.

    Photoshop was developed for print. Gimp was not. Photoshop was developed
    for professional use. Gimp was not. Photoshop was developed decades ago.
    Gimp was not.

    >> It kind of makes you wonder exactly /who/ is providing all that hype,
    >> doesn't it, given that so few people can afford it?

    > Again, Photoshop is targeted at professionals. The lite versions are
    > more than enough for amateaurs though.

    Gimp is fine for amateurs. But, since many people don't seem to have a
    problem with software piracy, many will just "obtain" it.

    >>> Not bad for a freebie.

    >> Bloody excellent for a freebie, but more importantly it's Free, which
    >> is all I really care about. It could cost double the price of Photoshop
    >> for all I care, it is Free Software, and that's what counts, especially
    >> when it comes to running that software on architectures that would be
    >> otherwise unsupported. An eleven hundred dollar box of software is
    >> worthless if it won't even run on your machine.

    > Like I said, you are not a professional. A professional needs
    > professional, industry standard tools in order to get the work out.
    > The UI is most important.
    > Transportability is another issue.
    > Skill at using is another.
    >
    > Can they use free software?
    > Probably, but why would they want to?
    >
    > You want to because you are a radical with an agenda. The guy using
    > Photoshop is an artist who wants to earn a living.

    Yeah. All those people that have pirated Photoshop are professional
    artists.

    --
    Rick

  20. Re: [News] Another School Turns to Free Software

    Linonut wrote:

    >* chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >>> Ignore the forger.

    >> Erm... Isn't that you?
    >>
    >> *plonk*

    >No. Astraweb ==> bad chrisv, Giganews ==> good chrisv.

    Shouldn't that say "Giganews ==> great chrisv"? 8)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast