> Sharjah school dumps high-cost software for open-source applications
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| John Nash, network manager and head of ICT for SIA, said: "This academic
>| year, rather than using proprietary software, what we've done is be slightly
>| different and use things like the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
>| instead of Photoshop, Scribus for desktop publishing and InkScape, which is a
>| full, scalable vector graphics program."
>|
>| He has made very clear that going with open source software was not solely to
>| cut costs for the school but an attempt to lower the barrier of entry to IT
>| for the students.
> `----
>
> http://www.itp.net/news/520872-sharj...e-applications

The barrier-to-entry thing is a good point to remember.

> Open source trumps Microsoft in UK schools
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The last framework list
>| consisted entirely of Microsoft suppliers and drew Becta widespread criticism
>| for favouring the convicted monopolist over cheaper, homegrown alternatives.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-microsoft-uk

The convicted monopolist thing is a good point to remember.

> 9000 PCs in Swiss schools going Linux only
> Red Hat taps Singapore schools for mindshare
> CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source
> Canadian British Columbia's School District #73 opts for Debian GNU / Linux

Maybe Microsoft can get them to do their web access through Windows
proxy servers, though .

--
The next generation of interesting software will be done on the Macintosh,
not the IBM PC.