Re: Get paid to run Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Get paid to run Linux? - Linux ; Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: > Apparently the Linux community is going to have to start paying people to > run Linux because obviously at least as a desktop system, giving Linux away > for free is not working. > You're right ...

  1. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Apparently the Linux community is going to have to start paying people to
    > run Linux because obviously at least as a desktop system, giving Linux away
    > for free is not working.

    You're right it's not working at all. I've replaced all but one XP
    machine with Linux because it doesn't work.

  2. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 06:55:06 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Apparently the Linux community is going to have to start paying people to
    >> run Linux because obviously at least as a desktop system, giving Linux away
    >> for free is not working.
    >>

    > You're right it's not working at all. I've replaced all but one XP
    > machine with Linux because it doesn't work.

    Some people like pain.
    You must be one of them.
    I know people that are still running OS/2.

    The numbers speak for themselves and Linux desktop sits at about 0.6
    percent of the desktop market so obviously giving away Linux is not
    working.

    So when is the Linux community going to start paying people to use Linux?

    Since you loons don't seem interested in focusing your efforts to actually
    fix Linux, this seems to be the only logical solution.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    On 2008-06-02, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 06:55:06 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Apparently the Linux community is going to have to start paying people to
    >>> run Linux because obviously at least as a desktop system, giving Linux away
    >>> for free is not working.
    >>>

    >> You're right it's not working at all. I've replaced all but one XP
    >> machine with Linux because it doesn't work.

    > Some people like pain.
    > You must be one of them.
    > I know people that are still running OS/2.

    Who ever preloaded OS/2?

    > The numbers speak for themselves and Linux desktop sits at about 0.6

    The numbers spoke for themselves in 1988 too.

    This is by no means a sudden thing. Any diatribe you would like to
    apply to Linux can be applied to anything else not-DOS since that
    OS was first released onto an unsuspecting populace.

    > percent of the desktop market so obviously giving away Linux is not
    > working.
    >
    > So when is the Linux community going to start paying people to use Linux?
    >
    > Since you loons don't seem interested in focusing your efforts to actually
    > fix Linux, this seems to be the only logical solution.

    This is of course a red herring and always has been.

    All you have to do is take a short stroll down memory lane and
    try to install some older software and then contemplate that
    MacOS was dying on the vine when that sort of thing was the
    norm for Windows users.

    "Being supported by everyone" like DOS is not something I can do much to "fix".

    Incidentally, I have been pushing Macs to the "incorrectly bought Windows" crowd
    in this very forum long before you ever blighted it with your presence.

    We've never been out to re-create the current hegemony.

    When someone here comes up with a good answer for my question "Just what am I
    missing by not running Windows", then I might think about contributing to
    something (assuming it also suits my needs as well).

    So far, I just see annoying apps and games that aren't anything special that
    tend to choke on multiple DVD drives and disable themselves if you've lost
    the registration keys.

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

  4. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > You're right it's not working at all. I've replaced all but one XP
    > machine with Linux because it doesn't work.

    I replaced Windoze installs in our three offices with Linux because it
    didn't work. All those people are actually just imagining getting all their
    tasks complete, without the need to run anti-malware apps or reboot a few
    times daily.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Think of it as evolution in action.

    Good to the last supper

  5. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-02, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 06:55:06 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > When someone here comes up with a good answer for my question "Just what
    > am I
    > missing by not running Windows", then I might think about contributing to
    > something (assuming it also suits my needs as well).

    If it's you (personally) then I'm sure no matter what someone mentions
    you'll either claim that you have no need for that sort of application or
    some 3rd rate OSS app is "good enough" for your needs.

    But only about 0.6% of people feel the way you do. Most other people use
    Windows because they do things like:

    Use TurboTax to calculate and file their taxes.
    Run industry leading software like AutoCad.
    Edit videos and movies. (What movie studios run *internally* doesn't mean
    squat.)
    Relax and have some fun by playing the latest and greatest games that are
    available.
    Fully utilize all of the features of their hardware instead of relying on
    "generic" linux drivers.
    Run a wide range quality software that is specialited for specific purposes.
    (Ex - Amateur astronomy software)

    But I'm sure you don't do any of this and some app that hasn't been updated
    in 4 years is "good enough" for what you need.

  6. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    On 2008-06-02, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-06-02, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 06:55:06 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    >> When someone here comes up with a good answer for my question "Just what
    >> am I
    >> missing by not running Windows", then I might think about contributing to
    >> something (assuming it also suits my needs as well).

    > If it's you (personally) then I'm sure no matter what someone mentions
    > you'll either claim that you have no need for that sort of application or
    > some 3rd rate OSS app is "good enough" for your needs.
    >
    > But only about 0.6% of people feel the way you do. Most other people use
    > Windows because they do things like:
    >
    > Use TurboTax to calculate and file their taxes.

    If you need a tax program you should be hiring a real accountant.
    Otherwise you should just be using the EZ. This is really a program
    that has no real value.

    > Run industry leading software like AutoCad.

    ....yeah because so many desktop Windows users run AutoCAD.

    You haven't got the first clue about AutoCAD.

    > Edit videos and movies. (What movie studios run *internally* doesn't mean
    > squat.)

    It's funny you mentioned this because I've just been looking into this.
    It turns out the better Win32 tools in this area either originate from
    Linux or at least run on multiple platforms.

    > Relax and have some fun by playing the latest and greatest games that are
    > available.

    Yeah... those annoying PC games that spew gigabytes of crap onto your
    system and then don't even let you start the game without the original
    DVD. Then there are the stupid registration codes.

    > Fully utilize all of the features of their hardware instead of relying on
    > "generic" linux drivers.

    What "special" features did you have in mind?

    > Run a wide range quality software that is specialited for specific purposes.
    > (Ex - Amateur astronomy software)
    >

    > But I'm sure you don't do any of this and some app that hasn't been updated
    > in 4 years is "good enough" for what you need.

    Windows video editing tools are shockingly bad. They are far worse than
    what I would have expected in my wildest dreams. I can see how Apple is
    starting to eat Microsoft's lunch with that crowd.

    It makes some of those "I'm a Mac" ads seem a lot less bogus.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  7. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-02, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> When someone here comes up with a good answer for my question "Just
    >>> what
    >>> am I
    >>> missing by not running Windows", then I might think about contributing
    >>> something (assuming it also suits my needs as well).

    >> If it's you (personally) then I'm sure no matter what someone mentions
    >> you'll either claim that you have no need for that sort of application
    >> or
    >> some 3rd rate OSS app is "good enough" for your needs.
    >>
    >> But only about 0.6% of people feel the way you do. Most other people use
    >> Windows because they do things like:
    >>
    >> Use TurboTax to calculate and file their taxes.

    > If you need a tax program you should be hiring a real accountant.

    Sure. So your accountant can use something similar and charge you 4x the
    price.

    > Otherwise you should just be using the EZ. This is really a program
    > that has no real value.

    No value? Tell that to the millions of people (including me) that find lots
    in value in using the software every year, year-after-year.

    It may be news to you but there are millions of people that fall in the
    income range between an unemployed loser that lives in mom's basement and
    Donald Trump.

    >> Run industry leading software like AutoCad.

    > ...yeah because so many desktop Windows users run AutoCAD.
    >
    > You haven't got the first clue about AutoCAD.

    Really. So what desktop do people run AutoCAD on? (Hint... it's not linux).
    AutoCad sells $100's of millions worth of software each year. It's got to
    be running somewhere.

    >> Edit videos and movies. (What movie studios run *internally* doesn't
    >> mean
    >> squat.)

    > It's funny you mentioned this because I've just been looking into this.
    > It turns out the better Win32 tools in this area either originate from
    > Linux or at least run on multiple platforms.

    There are plenty of excellent Win32 tools for this. Your skirting around
    the answer doesn't change this.

    >> Relax and have some fun by playing the latest and greatest games that
    >> are
    >> available.

    > Yeah... those annoying PC games that spew gigabytes of crap onto your
    > system and then don't even let you start the game without the original
    > DVD. Then there are the stupid registration codes.

    Those cutting edge games that linux users can't even dream of playing.

    >> Fully utilize all of the features of their hardware instead of relying
    >> on
    >> "generic" linux drivers.

    > What "special" features did you have in mind?

    Try something simple and common like the "fingerprint reader" on my new
    laptop.

    >> Run a wide range quality software that is specialited for specific
    >> purposes.
    >> (Ex - Amateur astronomy software)
    >>

    >> But I'm sure you don't do any of this and some app that hasn't been
    >> updated
    >> in 4 years is "good enough" for what you need.

    > Windows video editing tools are shockingly bad. They are far worse than
    > what I would have expected in my wildest dreams. I can see how Apple is
    > starting to eat Microsoft's lunch with that crowd.
    >
    > It makes some of those "I'm a Mac" ads seem a lot less bogus.

    Here's the top 10 highest rated video editing software:

    http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

    Most of it runs on Windows. Meanwhile the offerings for linux are laughable
    crap like "Cinerella" which is all but useless.

    > --
    > My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    > / | \

  8. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 19:32:31 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> [...]

    > laptop.
    >

    >>> Run a wide range quality software that is specialited for specific
    >>> purposes.
    >>> (Ex - Amateur astronomy software)
    >>>

    >>> But I'm sure you don't do any of this and some app that hasn't been
    >>> updated
    >>> in 4 years is "good enough" for what you need.

    >> Windows video editing tools are shockingly bad. They are far worse than
    >> what I would have expected in my wildest dreams. I can see how Apple is
    >> starting to eat Microsoft's lunch with that crowd.
    >>
    >> It makes some of those "I'm a Mac" ads seem a lot less bogus.

    > Here's the top 10 highest rated video editing software:
    >
    > http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    >
    > Most of it runs on Windows. Meanwhile the offerings for linux are laughable
    > crap like "Cinerella" which is all but useless.

    Jebbadiah lives in a fantasty world.
    He doesn't have a clue how the real world, especially the desktop,
    operates.

    If it were up to him, every kid would learn VI and never have need for a
    GUI.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    On 2008-06-02, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-06-02, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> If it's you (personally) then I'm sure no matter what someone mentions
    >>> you'll either claim that you have no need for that sort of application
    >>> or
    >>> some 3rd rate OSS app is "good enough" for your needs.
    >>>
    >>> But only about 0.6% of people feel the way you do. Most other people use
    >>> Windows because they do things like:
    >>>
    >>> Use TurboTax to calculate and file their taxes.

    >> If you need a tax program you should be hiring a real accountant.

    > Sure. So your accountant can use something similar and charge you 4x the
    > price.

    ....well if you like paying taxes that's your funeral.

    [deletia]
    >>> Run industry leading software like AutoCad.

    >> ...yeah because so many desktop Windows users run AutoCAD.
    >>
    >> You haven't got the first clue about AutoCAD.

    > Really. So what desktop do people run AutoCAD on? (Hint... it's not linux).
    > AutoCad sells $100's of millions worth of software each year. It's got to
    > be running somewhere.

    ....like I said: no clue for you.

    This is one of those bits of software where revenue is a really
    pisspoor metric for market penetration. The numbers are going
    to look really inflated because it's expensive speciality
    software.

    Yeah, AutoCAD is possibly all you see if you are a professional
    engineer. If you don't know any real engineers then you are
    never even going to know it exists (except for Trolls).

    >>> Edit videos and movies. (What movie studios run *internally* doesn't
    >>> mean
    >>> squat.)

    >> It's funny you mentioned this because I've just been looking into this.
    >> It turns out the better Win32 tools in this area either originate from
    >> Linux or at least run on multiple platforms.

    > There are plenty of excellent Win32 tools for this. Your skirting around
    > the answer doesn't change this.

    Well then do tell.

    I can try them out quite easily. It might be good for a laugh.

    >>> Relax and have some fun by playing the latest and greatest games that
    >>> are
    >>> available.

    >> Yeah... those annoying PC games that spew gigabytes of crap onto your
    >> system and then don't even let you start the game without the original
    >> DVD. Then there are the stupid registration codes.

    > Those cutting edge games that linux users can't even dream of playing.

    I'd rather skip the PC nonsense.

    I play games for "me", not some VP at EA or some guy down the street.

    >>> Fully utilize all of the features of their hardware instead of relying
    >>> on
    >>> "generic" linux drivers.

    >> What "special" features did you have in mind?

    > Try something simple and common like the "fingerprint reader" on my new
    > laptop.

    Have you ever verified this works under Windows?

    >>> Run a wide range quality software that is specialited for specific
    >>> purposes.
    >>> (Ex - Amateur astronomy software)
    >>>

    >>> But I'm sure you don't do any of this and some app that hasn't been
    >>> updated
    >>> in 4 years is "good enough" for what you need.

    >> Windows video editing tools are shockingly bad. They are far worse than
    >> what I would have expected in my wildest dreams. I can see how Apple is
    >> starting to eat Microsoft's lunch with that crowd.
    >>
    >> It makes some of those "I'm a Mac" ads seem a lot less bogus.

    > Here's the top 10 highest rated video editing software:

    Why do you have to cite someone else's spam?

    Why can't you list your own favorites?

    > http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    >
    > Most of it runs on Windows. Meanwhile the offerings for linux are laughable
    > crap like "Cinerella" which is all but useless.

    You know about as much about Windows video editing as you do Windows drafting.

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

  10. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:29:21 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-06-02, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 06:55:06 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    >> When someone here comes up with a good answer for my question "Just
    >> what am I
    >> missing by not running Windows", then I might think about contributing
    >> to something (assuming it also suits my needs as well).

    > If it's you (personally) then I'm sure no matter what someone mentions
    > you'll either claim that you have no need for that sort of application
    > or some 3rd rate OSS app is "good enough" for your needs.
    >
    > But only about 0.6% of people feel the way you do. Most other people use
    > Windows because they do things like:
    >
    > Use TurboTax to calculate and file their taxes.

    I've used TurboTax over the Web for 2 years.

    > Run industry leading software like AutoCad.

    How many use Autocad at home?

    > Edit videos and movies. (What movie studios run
    > *internally* doesn't mean squat.)

    Cinelerra, Kino.

    > Relax and have some fun by playing the latest and greatest games that
    > are available.

    Don't know much about gaming.

    > Fully utilize all of the features of their hardware instead of relying
    > on "generic" linux drivers.

    I use (horrors) vendor supplied binaries.

    > Run a wide range quality software that is specialited for specific
    > purposes. (Ex - Amateur astronomy software)

    YOu can do that under LInux.

    > But I'm sure you don't do any of this and some app that hasn't been
    > updated in 4 years is "good enough" for what you need.

    And I am sure you are some whiny POS that is,for some reason, afraid to
    switch to Linux and are jealous of all of that have.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:32:31 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-06-02, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> If it's you (personally) then I'm sure no matter what someone mentions
    >>> you'll either claim that you have no need for that sort of application
    >>> or
    >>> some 3rd rate OSS app is "good enough" for your needs.
    >>>
    >>> But only about 0.6% of people feel the way you do. Most other people
    >>> use Windows because they do things like:
    >>>
    >>> Use TurboTax to calculate and file their taxes.

    >> If you need a tax program you should be hiring a real accountant.

    > Sure. So your accountant can use something similar and charge you 4x the
    > price.

    So use TurboTax.

    >> Otherwise you should just be using the EZ. This is really a program
    >> that has no real value.

    > No value? Tell that to the millions of people (including me) that find
    > lots in value in using the software every year, year-after-year.

    Paid for AutoCad, did you?

    > It may be news to you but there are millions of people that fall in the
    > income range between an unemployed loser that lives in mom's basement
    > and Donald Trump.

    And your comment shows you for the bigoted ass you are.

    >>> Run industry leading software like AutoCad.

    >> ...yeah because so many desktop Windows users run AutoCAD.
    >>
    >> You haven't got the first clue about AutoCAD.

    > Really. So what desktop do people run AutoCAD on? (Hint... it's not
    > linux). AutoCad sells $100's of millions worth of software each year.
    > It's got to be running somewhere.

    Do they run it on OS X?

    >>> Edit videos and movies. (What movie studios run *internally* doesn't
    >>> mean
    >>> squat.)

    >> It's funny you mentioned this because I've just been looking into this.
    >> It turns out the better Win32 tools in this area either originate from
    >> Linux or at least run on multiple platforms.

    > There are plenty of excellent Win32 tools for this. Your skirting around
    > the answer doesn't change this.

    So, his statement "It turns out the better Win32 tools in this area
    either originate from Linux or at least run on multiple platforms" is
    true?

    >>> Relax and have some fun by playing the latest and greatest games that
    >>> are available.

    >> Yeah... those annoying PC games that spew gigabytes of crap onto your
    >> system and then don't even let you start the game without the original
    >> DVD. Then there are the stupid registration codes.

    > Those cutting edge games that linux users can't even dream of playing.

    The ones that are on consoles, or play under various versions of Wine?

    >>> Fully utilize all of the features of their hardware instead of relying
    >>> on
    >>> "generic" linux drivers.

    >> What "special" features did you have in mind?

    > Try something simple and common like the "fingerprint reader" on my new
    > laptop.

    Ship me you laptop. I'll install Linux and let you know.

    >>> Run a wide range quality software that is specialited for specific
    >>> purposes.
    >>> (Ex - Amateur astronomy software)
    >>>

    >>> But I'm sure you don't do any of this and some app that hasn't been
    >>> updated
    >>> in 4 years is "good enough" for what you need.

    >> Windows video editing tools are shockingly bad. They are far worse than
    >> what I would have expected in my wildest dreams. I can see how Apple is
    >> starting to eat Microsoft's lunch with that crowd.
    >>
    >> It makes some of those "I'm a Mac" ads seem a lot less bogus.

    > Here's the top 10 highest rated video editing software:
    >
    > http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    >
    > Most of it runs on Windows. Meanwhile the offerings for linux are
    > laughable crap like "Cinerella" which is all but useless.

    So, when did you last use Cinelerra? What problems did you have?

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Really. So what desktop do people run AutoCAD on? (Hint... it's not linux).
    >> AutoCad sells $100's of millions worth of software each year. It's got to
    >> be running somewhere.

    > ...like I said: no clue for you.
    >
    > This is one of those bits of software where revenue is a really
    > pisspoor metric for market penetration. The numbers are going
    > to look really inflated because it's expensive speciality
    > software.

    AutoCAD expensive? Hell, what about Photoshop?!!!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...aphics_editors

    Adobe Photoshop Professional image editor and graphics creation
    tool John Knoll and Thomas Knoll February 1990 CS3 / 10.0
    $649.00, $999.00 (CS3 Extended) Proprietary

    > Yeah, AutoCAD is possibly all you see if you are a professional
    > engineer. If you don't know any real engineers then you are
    > never even going to know it exists (except for Trolls).

    AutoCAD's maker (before Adobe bought it) was even worse than Microsoft
    at using format changes to force people to upgrade to the latest
    version.

    >> http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    >>
    >> Most of it runs on Windows. Meanwhile the offerings for linux are laughable
    >> crap like "Cinerella" which is all but useless.

    > You know about as much about Windows video editing as you do Windows drafting.

    How about office documents?:

    --
    One thing we have got to change in our strategy - allowing Office documents to
    be rendered very well by other peoples browsers is one of the most destructive

  13. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >If you need a tax program you should be hiring a real accountant.
    >Otherwise you should just be using the EZ. This is really a program
    >that has no real value.

    Disagree.

  14. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  15. Re: Get paid to run Linux?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll