[News] A Look at Litrix 8.5 (GNU/Linux) from Brazil - Linux

  1. [News] A Look at Litrix 8.5 (GNU/Linux) from Brazil

    Litrix 8.5 | Brazilian Desktop GNU/Linux Distribution for Home Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In my first ever experience with my most dreaded Gentoo based Linux
    | distribution I am much more at ease and confident using Litrix 8.5 and I have
    | no doubts to recommend it to everybody and especially to home users who would
    | like to have a beautiful eye candy desktop Linux distribution along with the
    | power of Gentoo.
    `----

    http://saleem-khan.blogspot.com/2008...-gnulinux.html

    Recent:

    Famelix and the dangers of combating Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As with any GNU/Linux distribution, exact figures for use are hard to come by
    | for Famelix. However, other users of the distribution include 62 military
    | units, and schools and digital inclusion centers throughout South America. On
    | its home site, the distribution has had more than 22 million downloads -- at
    | least 14 million of them in the last 12 months, thanks mainly to the first
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | releases to support German, English, and Italian in addition to the original
    | Spanish and Portugese. By any standard, the distribution seems a success.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/135104

    Litrix 8.5 final is Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Â* Â* * DBUS service startup on boot
    | Â* Â* * HALD service startup on boot
    | Â* Â* * IVMAN service startup on boot
    | Â* Â* * CPUFREQUTIL added for power processor frequency manager
    `----

    http://www.litrixlinux.org/site3/ind...&print=1&page=

    Litrix: Linux from Brazil to your desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The live DVD may not be the best choice for a portable system, but it is a
    | wonderful way to get a working Gentoo system installed without all the
    | initial compiling.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/124817

    Brazilian government lists preferred Open Source applications

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Brazilian government wants its public administrations to check an Open
    | Source reference guide before launching new IT projects.
    |
    | The "Instruction for Contracting IT Services" was published last week by the
    | Secretary of Logistics and IT, part of the Ministry of Planning. The
    | instruction is intended prevent equivalent software solutions from being
    | developed several times.
    |
    | "The portal should be consulted by public managers before starting a new
    | software development project, to check whether a comparable software solution
    | already exists", an introduction on the web site explains. If a solution
    | exists, the procurement can then be adapted to improve on that software
    | project.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7660/469

    Related:

    Litrix v7.4 Linux LiveCD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Screenshots gallery...
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=701&num=1

    Brazilian banks look to Linux for ATMs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Brazilian banking giant Banco do Brasil this year is preparing to start a
    | massive migration of one of the world’s biggest ATM fleets to the GNU/Linux
    | operating system.
    `----

    http://www.atmmarketplace.com/articl...prc=12&page=42

    The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
    GNU / Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The brazilian Election Supreme Court announced at April 4th 2008, that the
    | 2008 elections at Brazil will use GNU / Linux electronic voting machines with
    | software digital authentication. Â*
    |
    | The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court),
    | officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections
    | will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and
    | Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing
    | defined by proper law. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://techforce.com.br/index.php/ne...rates_to_linux

    Linux Voting Machines Save US$ 8 Millions in Brazil

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Brazilian Goverment will save US$ 8 Millions in election between 2008 and
    | 2018. The economy is due to the use of Linux in the eletronic voting
    | machines, made by Procomp-Diebold, Â*
    `----

    http://www.brnews.info/index.php/200...ons-in-brazil/

    Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
    | fully deployed and in active use.
    |
    | By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
    | serving some 52,000,000 students.
    `----

    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/d...ion-young.html

    Why Brazil Loves Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Brazil imported the anti-Microsoft stance common in American geeks, but on
    | top of the usual arguments Microsoft is foreign. This adds fuel to the flame.
    | To the Brazilian Microsoft hater, not only there is an “evil monopoly”, but
    | its profits are repatriated and its jobs are elsewhere. Practices like the
    | 3-program limitation on Vista Starter further erode good will (Brazilians
    | call it the “castrated Windows” among other colorful names). Add a dash of
    | anti-American sentiment and you’ve got some serious resistance. This fiery
    | mood has a strong influence, from the teenager hanging out in #hackers on
    | Brasnet to IT departments to the federal government. Even in a rational
    | self-interest analysis, one might rightly point out that if free/open source
    | software (FOSS) were to wipe out Windows, negative effects on Brazil’s
    | economy are likely minimal. The wealth, jobs, and opportunity created by
    | Microsoft aren’t in Brazil (productivity gains might be, but that’s a whole
    | different argument). The trade offs of a potential Linux/Google take over are
    | different when there’s no national off-the-shelf software industry, plus
    | Google’s revenue model works beautifully in a developing country. This mix of
    | ideological and rational arguments torpedoes Microsoft’s support.
    `----

    http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/post...il-loves-linux

    Microsoft gouging Brazilians for 20 percent of income

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ever wonder why Brazil and other BRIC countries are so hot on open source,
    | including Linux? Gustavo Duarte gives several reasons, not the least of which
    | is the punitive pricing that Microsoft inflicts on these developing markets.
    |
    | In the case of Brazil, Microsoft pillages businesses to the tune of 20.1
    | percent and consumers at a 7.8 percent clip. Some people pay tithing to their
    | church; Brazilians are asked to pay a tithe to Microsoft. Perhaps this is
    | indicative of Microsoft's self-important belief?
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-993...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Brazilian Enterprises Embrace Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux and related open-source software has gained an increasingly important
    | role among large local corporations in Brazil, according to a recent study.
    |
    | The Instituto Sem Fronteiras, a Brazilan research firm, found that 73 percent
    | of companies with more than a thousand employees are open source users. Â*
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/206904491

  2. Re: [News] A Look at Litrix 8.5 (GNU/Linux) from Brazil

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 05:49:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Litrix 8.5 |

    Litrix?

    It sounds like some kind of Drain Cleaner.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] A Look at Litrix 8.5 (GNU/Linux) from Brazil

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic