This is a discussion on pinky - Linux ; http://www.blocket.se/vi/16624216.htm?ca=11_s...

  1. pinky

  2. Re: pinky

    Sven Svenson wrote:
    > http://www.blocket.se/vi/16624216.htm?ca=11_s

    ^^
    vi rules!!!

  3. Re: pinky

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 00:35:10 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:

    > Sven Svenson wrote:
    >> http://www.blocket.se/vi/16624216.htm?ca=11_s

    > ^^
    > vi rules!!!

    emacs rules.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: pinky

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Sun, 1 Jun 2008 22:06:37 -0400
    :
    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 00:35:10 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:
    >
    >> Sven Svenson wrote:
    >>> http://www.blocket.se/vi/16624216.htm?ca=11_s

    >> ^^
    >> vi rules!!!

    > emacs rules.

    Erm...aren't you more of a Microsoft Word advocate?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  5. Re: pinky

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:21:56 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sun, 1 Jun 2008 22:06:37 -0400
    > :

    >>> ^^
    >>> vi rules!!!

    >> emacs rules.
    >>

    > Erm...aren't you more of a Microsoft Word advocate?

    My needs for a word processor are simple.
    I was using Wordperfect 5.1 for DOS for many years.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: pinky

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:41:41 -0400
    :
    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:21:56 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Sun, 1 Jun 2008 22:06:37 -0400
    >> :

    >>> emacs rules.
    >>>

    >> Erm...aren't you more of a Microsoft Word advocate?

    > My needs for a word processor are simple.
    > I was using Wordperfect 5.1 for DOS for many years.

    Well, OK, but you do realize that's a Microsoft Word
    competitor, I hope. :-)

    In any event, I use plain old VI, or if I want to get
    fancy, I use a combination of XML, XSL, CSS, and a Web
    browser such as Firefox. OpenOffice bulks up its output
    a bit too much, and has yet to get the stylization issue
    correct.

    Of course I also tend to edit SVG with VI, which will
    probably label me as "one of those crazy geeks". ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.

  7. Re: pinky

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > Of course I also tend to edit SVG with VI, which will
    > probably label me as "one of those crazy geeks". ;-)

    Bah!

    *Real* men edit their SVGs with punched tape.

    http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpag...unchedtape.jpg

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    10:59:51 up 165 days, 7:35, 6 users, load average: 0.17, 0.08, 0.10

  8. Re: pinky

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > OpenOffice bulks up its output
    > a bit too much, ...

    Ever compared file sizes for a document saved in ODT versus DOC/XLS
    formats?

    --
    I think it's fair to say that personal computers have become the most
    empowering tool we've ever created. They're tools of communication, they're

  9. Re: pinky

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >
    >> Of course I also tend to edit SVG with VI, which will
    >> probably label me as "one of those crazy geeks". ;-)

    > Bah!
    >
    > *Real* men edit their SVGs with punched tape.
    >
    > http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpag...unchedtape.jpg

    Whoa! For a second I thought that dude was using a Microsoft Tablet PC

    --
    Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few
    employers are interested in helping you find yourself.

  10. Re: pinky

    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> OpenOffice bulks up its output a bit too much, ...

    > Ever compared file sizes for a document saved in ODT versus DOC/XLS
    > formats?

    Oh come on now, give MS a break. After all, how are they going to
    violate your privacy unless they can store all that personally
    identifiable information about you somewhere?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    15:50:17 up 165 days, 12:26, 5 users, load average: 1.36, 0.61, 0.24

  11. Re: pinky

    Linonut wrote:
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> OpenOffice bulks up its output
    >> a bit too much, ...

    > Ever compared file sizes for a document saved in ODT versus DOC/XLS
    > formats?

    Why don't you .zip the .doc/.xls file first, then compare the size to the
    ..odt file, which is saved in a compressed format?

    The compressed .doc/.xls file is about one-third the size of the compressed
    ..odt file.

    Plus it runs faster. Plus everyone uses .doc/.xls formats. Plus nobody
    uses .odt formats.

    Moron.

  12. Re: pinky

    On 2008-06-02, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Of course I also tend to edit SVG with VI, which will
    > probably label me as "one of those crazy geeks". ;-)

    You must be one of those crazy geeks.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  13. Re: pinky

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 3 Jun 2008 07:50:23 -0400
    <3da1k.3791$%z2.1454@bignews3.bellsouth.net>:
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> OpenOffice bulks up its output
    >> a bit too much, ...

    > Ever compared file sizes for a document saved in ODT versus DOC/XLS
    > formats?

    Can't say I have, but one might also compare ODT with a
    well-designed XML/XSL/CSS affair. I'll admit I don't
    know of any studies in this area, and I will admit
    OO is far better than certain other solution.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  14. Re: pinky

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman

    wrote
    on 4 Jun 2008 02:34:05 GMT
    :
    > On 2008-06-02, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Of course I also tend to edit SVG with VI, which will
    >> probably label me as "one of those crazy geeks". ;-)

    > You must be one of those crazy geeks.

    Hey! You broke my fishing pole! :-)

    I'll admit I'm now playing with a rather interesting tool
    named "inkscape". While it suffers from the usual issues
    such as using style= instead of maintaining an internal
    CSS style sheet (which bloats SVG output files), it does
    have a rather nice GUI, including the ability to identify
    objects (id= attribute) and considerable intelligence
    about gradients and grid snapping. (Two grid types are
    supported: rectangular and axonometric -- the latter
    can be construed as hexagonal if one uses the defaults,
    though the angles are adjustable.)

    It even has a pseudo-3D block creation tool, which uses
    two vanishing points -- anyone familiar with classical
    perspective will recognize this one. If one creates
    several blocks, the vanishing points are common. Sadly, it
    crashed when I tried to do something with a 3D block while
    the grid was up. However, it now appears to be behaving
    itself with the grid so I've no idea why it decided to
    go south. (It's version 0.46 so possibly there's still
    a bug or two in there -- though apart from the one crash
    it's very smooth.)

    It even has layers. Its main limitation: it doesn't have
    shadowed objects, though with copy/paste and change fill
    that's not a major limitation.

    Bumped into this tool by poking around Gnome's SVG icons,
    actually. If nothing else it's fun to play with.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  15. Re: pinky

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 00:35:10 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:
    >
    >> Sven Svenson wrote:
    >>> http://www.blocket.se/vi/16624216.htm?ca=11_s

    >> ^^
    >> vi rules!!!

    > emacs rules.

    vi has better games:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDNPmfQbM94
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fGpIWD39Ngw&feature=related#

  16. Re: pinky

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  17. Re: pinky

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll