Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction - Linux

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

    > Bill Gates doesn't play monopoly? Laugh? I nearly died
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's High Command, received the same
    >| treatment, with one softball question after another. ...
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...soft.billgates

    Philip Toynbee famously observed that if you dropped an atom bomb on
    Twickenham during the Varsity match, the prospects for fascism in
    Britain would be set back by two generations. An analogous thought
    struck me watching coverage of the D6 'All Things Digital' conference
    last week. A neutron bomb would have wiped out the entire high
    commands of the US technology and media industries - while usefully
    leaving the premises intact.

    And look who organized the thing:

    D6 was this year's version of the annual media-tech gabfest organised
    by Walt Mossberg, the Wall Street Journal's veteran technology
    commentator, and his partner in sentimentality, Kara Swisher. The
    event took place at the Four Seasons Aviara Resort just outside San
    Diego, where attendees enjoy 'casual elegance in a breathtaking
    location accented by wildlife and wildflowers' for a conference fee
    just a tad short of the GNP of Rwanda.

    It looks like a safari where the customers are armed with Nerf guns,
    shooting at slow-moving, aging rhinos.

    I like this little comparsion concerning the "open-source crapware" that
    that idiot, DFS, so reviles:

    Their browser, Internet Explorer, eventually gained 98 per cent of
    the market and - in the absence of competition - remained stagnant
    for half a decade

    . . .

    Netscape released the code of its browser into the public domain and
    created the Mozilla Foundation to foster open-source development of
    the code. In due course, the Mozilla community released Firefox, a
    terrific open-source browser that knocked spots off Internet Explorer
    and has already captured nearly 30 per cent of the market in Europe.
    It also drove Microsoft finally to upgrade Internet Explorer in an
    attempt to halt the erosion in its market share.

    Finally, will Mossberg finally emerge from his dotage?

    The foundation plans to host a worldwide 'Download Day' following the
    official release of Firefox 3. The number of total unique downloads
    will be submitted for evaluation and potential inclusion in the
    Guinness World Records. If they succeed, will the Firefox developers
    be invited to 'All Things Digital' next year? Don't hold your breath:
    the WSJ doesn't do open source.

    Nope. That safari is only for the rich bwanas.

    --
    If you show people the problems and you show people the solutions they will be
    moved to act.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

    ____/ Linonut on Sunday 01 June 2008 15:25 : \____

    >> Bill Gates doesn't play monopoly? Laugh? I nearly died
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's High Command, received the same
    >>| treatment, with one softball question after another. ...
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...soft.billgates

    > Philip Toynbee famously observed that if you dropped an atom bomb on
    > Twickenham during the Varsity match, the prospects for fascism in
    > Britain would be set back by two generations. An analogous thought
    > struck me watching coverage of the D6 'All Things Digital' conference
    > last week. A neutron bomb would have wiped out the entire high
    > commands of the US technology and media industries - while usefully
    > leaving the premises intact.
    >

    > And look who organized the thing:
    >
    > D6 was this year's version of the annual media-tech gabfest organised
    > by Walt Mossberg, the Wall Street Journal's veteran technology
    > commentator, and his partner in sentimentality, Kara Swisher. The
    > event took place at the Four Seasons Aviara Resort just outside San
    > Diego, where attendees enjoy 'casual elegance in a breathtaking
    > location accented by wildlife and wildflowers' for a conference fee
    > just a tad short of the GNP of Rwanda.
    >
    > It looks like a safari where the customers are armed with Nerf guns,
    > shooting at slow-moving, aging rhinos.
    >
    > I like this little comparsion concerning the "open-source crapware" that
    > that idiot, DFS, so reviles:
    >
    > Their browser, Internet Explorer, eventually gained 98 per cent of
    > the market and - in the absence of competition - remained stagnant
    > for half a decade
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > Netscape released the code of its browser into the public domain and
    > created the Mozilla Foundation to foster open-source development of
    > the code. In due course, the Mozilla community released Firefox, a
    > terrific open-source browser that knocked spots off Internet Explorer
    > and has already captured nearly 30 per cent of the market in Europe.
    > It also drove Microsoft finally to upgrade Internet Explorer in an
    > attempt to halt the erosion in its market share.
    >
    > Finally, will Mossberg finally emerge from his dotage?
    >
    > The foundation plans to host a worldwide 'Download Day' following the
    > official release of Firefox 3. The number of total unique downloads
    > will be submitted for evaluation and potential inclusion in the
    > Guinness World Records. If they succeed, will the Firefox developers
    > be invited to 'All Things Digital' next year? Don't hold your breath:
    > the WSJ doesn't do open source.
    >
    > Nope. That safari is only for the rich bwanas.

    Yes, I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or somewhere else, but all that
    Windows ME3 vapourware demo (advert) was done by the Fascist press of the USA
    (United States of Advertising as some call it).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
    19:20:01 up 47 days, 17:32, 5 users, load average: 0.07, 0.72, 1.28

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

    > Yes, I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or somewhere else, but all that
    > Windows ME3 vapourware demo (advert) was done by the Fascist press of the USA
    > (United States of Advertising as some call it).

    You're breaking up Roy.

    --
    Until we're educating every kid in a fantastic way, until every inner city
    is cleaned up, there is no shortage of things to do.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 20:47:35 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    >> Yes, I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or somewhere else, but all that
    >> Windows ME3 vapourware demo (advert) was done by the Fascist press of the USA
    >> (United States of Advertising as some call it).

    > You're breaking up Roy.

    No.

    Roy Schestowitz is just demonstrating for all to see that he is a paranoid
    nutcase.

    No surprise on that one.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, LacksDirection

    >> Yes, I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or somewhere else, but all
    >> that Windows ME3 vapourware demo (advert) was done by the Fascist
    >> press of the USA (United States of Advertising as some call it).

    > You're breaking up Roy.

    [The drone of a Lancaster bomber's engines]

    This is Captain Oveur, over. What's your vector Victor.

    He said the United States of Advertising - the Land of Nothing for Free.

    Roger, Oveur and out.

    [Dam Buster's theme tune]

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:26:26 up 164 days, 1:02, 6 users, load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.18

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 20:47:35 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Yes, I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or somewhere else, but all that
    >>> Windows ME3 vapourware demo (advert) was done by the Fascist press of the USA
    >>> (United States of Advertising as some call it).

    >> You're breaking up Roy.

    > No.
    >
    > Roy Schestowitz is just demonstrating for all to see that he is a paranoid
    > nutcase.
    >
    > No surprise on that one.

    "cracking up" would be more like it.

    --
    Overfiend's First Law of Package Quality: If the
    maintainer likes to spell part or all of his name in

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 06:21:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > figure 1: "That's a nice tree. Can I please take a photograph of it?"
    >
    > figure 2: "That'll be a royalty of $5, sir?"
    >
    > figure 1: "What about this car?"
    >
    > figure 2: "Sorry, it's mine. You can't take a photo. Now pay up for that music
    > which plays in the background."
    >
    > The scary thing is the power of perception. They are brainwashing children at
    > the moment. Spotted days ago:

    When Linux advocates are involved it's more like:

    Roy Schestowitz: "That's a pretty graphic. I think I will use it on my web
    page"

    Author of Copyrighted Graphic: Roy Schestowitz, I did not give you
    permission to use my work.

    Roy Schestowitz: I don't give a crap. I'm a Linux advocate and everything
    should be free.

    Author: If you do not remove the copyrighted graphic I will have no choice
    but to sue you.

    Roy Schestowitz: Well I don't care because P.J told me.....................

    There you go...

    The sick, warped mind of a Linux advocate and BTW that is a true story.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, LacksDirection

    > figure 1: "That's a nice tree. Can I please take a photograph of it?"

    Yeah that was a good one. Where was that again? Wasn't it some shopping
    mall somewhere? And IIRC there was no fee, the shopper was simply
    prohibited from taking photos - period - because the retail park owner
    claimed "copyright" of the decor, or something! Sick.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    20:33:50 up 164 days, 17:09, 5 users, load average: 0.01, 0.12, 0.20

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

    ____/ Homer on Monday 02 June 2008 20:34 : \____

    >> figure 1: "That's a nice tree. Can I please take a photograph of it?"
    >>

    > Yeah that was a good one. Where was that again? Wasn't it some shopping
    > mall somewhere? And IIRC there was no fee, the shopper was simply
    > prohibited from taking photos - period - because the retail park owner
    > claimed "copyright" of the decor, or something! Sick.

    What if they remember the sight and then draw that later? A violation?

    Greed without restrictions.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Becomes the Next (Stumbling) IBM, Lacks Direction