[News][Rival] The Crimes of Microsoft - Linux

This is a discussion on [News][Rival] The Crimes of Microsoft - Linux ; Guilty in the US, Just as in Europe http://www.counterpunch.org/adler10012007.html -- Registerd Linux user #445917 at http://counter.li.org/...

  1. [News][Rival] The Crimes of Microsoft

    Guilty in the US, Just as in Europe
    http://www.counterpunch.org/adler10012007.html

  2. Re: [News][Rival] The Crimes of Microsoft

    Attila espoused:
    > Guilty in the US, Just as in Europe
    > http://www.counterpunch.org/adler10012007.html

    I think that the US DOJ is seeing the EU decision as a direct criticism
    of their own miserable failure to act with respect to Microsoft. Whilst
    the ruling is very much about Microsoft in the EU, it's true to say that
    it reflects appallingly badly on the US government in so much as they
    have failed to deal with "their own" problems effectively, indeed,
    failed to address them at all.

    It is well understood that free markets result in monopolies if left to
    their own devices, indeed, economies of scale essentially demand that
    this be the most likely outcome. A related issue results in the
    formation of "natural monopolies", of course.

    The DOJ in the US Government is, therefore, under considerable pressure
    to justify its own failure, and the humiliation for the US in having a
    foreign power (EU) deal with its problems for it. For a country which
    likes to believe that it is in charge of everthing and generally
    top-dog, this must be particularly galling to those who care about such
    things.

    I wonder how long before these proud, if misguided, folk insist on
    changes at the DOJ?

  3. Re: [News][Rival] The Crimes of Microsoft

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 02 October 2007 09:52 : \____

    > Attila espoused:
    >> Guilty in the US, Just as in Europe
    >> http://www.counterpunch.org/adler10012007.html

    > I think that the US DOJ is seeing the EU decision as a direct criticism
    > of their own miserable failure to act with respect to Microsoft. Whilst
    > the ruling is very much about Microsoft in the EU, it's true to say that
    > it reflects appallingly badly on the US government in so much as they
    > have failed to deal with "their own" problems effectively, indeed,
    > failed to address them at all.
    >
    > It is well understood that free markets result in monopolies if left to
    > their own devices, indeed, economies of scale essentially demand that
    > this be the most likely outcome. A related issue results in the
    > formation of "natural monopolies", of course.
    >
    > The DOJ in the US Government is, therefore, under considerable pressure
    > to justify its own failure, and the humiliation for the US in having a
    > foreign power (EU) deal with its problems for it. For a country which
    > likes to believe that it is in charge of everthing and generally
    > top-dog, this must be particularly galling to those who care about such
    > things.
    >
    > I wonder how long before these proud, if misguided, folk insist on
    > changes at the DOJ?

    It was widely predicated that the decision in Europe would play a role in the
    US as well, particularly at times when States lobby for extension of the
    overseas. Moreover, other countries (Japan and Korea spring to mind
    immediately) may use the decision from Kroes and her Commission as precedence
    in court.

    Microsoft is hurt, and not only in Europe. Therein lies the real impact of this
    decision, which explains why Microsoft resorted to breaking litigious ethics
    and using US Feds as tools.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Code built upon another's is less prone to bugs
    Swap: 1510068k total, 351312k used, 1158756k free, 53448k cached