Advocates: Numbers, Please - Linux

This is a discussion on Advocates: Numbers, Please - Linux ; Numbers from Linux Advocates: 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other people to buy or install. 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?...

  1. Advocates: Numbers, Please

    Numbers from Linux Advocates:

    1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    people to buy or install.

    2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

  2. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    > 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    > people to buy or install.

    Around -20 or so

  3. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    On Monday 01 October 2007 18:49, John Bailo, Texeme.Construct wrote in
    <1191289745.089983.210240@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>:

    > Numbers from Linux Advocates:
    >
    > 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    > people to buy or install.
    >
    > 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

    1. 100+ thanks to a few schools that decided to convert most machines to
    GNU/Linux.

    2. Converted all Development and Administration to GNU/Linux and FreeBSD (
    plus a couple renegade OSX systems )

    2.A. My home is only GNU/Linux ( 2 servers, 1 media center, 3 desktops, 2
    laptops ).

    --
    Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas (gamaral)
    Free/Libre/Open-Source Software Advocate

    TRUST CONTENT *ONLY* IF ACCOMPANIED BY A VALID SIGNATURE. [0x5D297B74]

  4. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

  5. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:49:05 -0700, John Bailo, Texeme.Construct wrote:

    > Numbers from Linux Advocates:
    >
    > 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    > people to buy or install.

    15

    > 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

    At least a dozen.

  6. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:49:05 -0700, John Bailo, Texeme.Construct wrote:

    > Numbers from Linux Advocates:
    >
    > 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    > people to buy or install.

    I have no idea. I have several students that dual boot Linux at home.

    > 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

    At the moment... 1 PCLOS box used as a web and ftp server in a 2 domain
    Windows network.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    John Bailo, Texeme.Construct :

    > Numbers from Linux Advocates:
    >
    > 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    > people to buy or install.

    Lots. The ones I've installed for others number probably just over a
    hundred.

    > 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

    Four, two of which are running now. Several dozen for other companies
    and lots of specialty machines.

    --
    There was an old lady of Kewry
    Whose cunt was a `lusus naturae':

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  8. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    On Oct 1, 9:49 pm, "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct"
    wrote:
    > Numbers from Linux Advocates:
    >
    > 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    > people to buy or install.

    Maybe 20 or so. Most were looking to do something particular, and it
    fit.

    > 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

    I don't set them up, that job is boring. I've had 4 set up for me. 3
    desktops and a server.

  9. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    cc wrote:
    > On Oct 1, 9:49 pm, "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct"
    > wrote:
    >> Numbers from Linux Advocates:
    >>
    >> 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    >> people to buy or install.

    > Maybe 20 or so. Most were looking to do something particular, and it
    > fit.
    >

    >> 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

    > I don't set them up, that job is boring. I've had 4 set up for me. 3
    > desktops and a server.

    I don't think I made that poll. Here are my accomplishments.

    1. I have given out Linux cdroms after demos, in major chain stores,
    WalMart, Sam's Clubs, Costco, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Office
    Depot/Max, Staples, and at computer fairs, at the rate of about 5 per
    week, since 1997, on average.

    2. Have set up/built/installed GNU/Linux on more than 550 systems, at
    churches, charities, thrift shops, government and private schools, and
    in homes and businesses, since 1997, free.

    When asked what it does, I request they name some specific computing
    requirement, to which the more common answer is now "Yeah, Linux does
    that". It is October of 2007, and GNU/Linux does just about everything,
    almost everywhere in this solar system!

    Thin client systems? Largo loves them, for all 600+ work stations, at
    savings in excess of $7 million in 7 years!

  10. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct" schreef in bericht
    news:1191289745.089983.210240@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...

    > Numbers from Linux Advocates:
    >
    > 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    > people to buy or install.
    >
    > 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

    Roy & Mark have nothing to offer, apparently they haven't advocated
    anything, lol
    --
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...witz-liar.html
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...kent-liar.html

  11. Re: Advocates: Numbers, Please

    On Monday 01 October 2007 18:49, John Bailo, Texeme.Construct wrote in
    <1191289745.089983.210240@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>:

    > Numbers from Linux Advocates:
    >
    > 1. How many Linux desktops have you advocated, or encouraged other
    > people to buy or install.

    Everyone I've ever met over the last decade, with a good 50% success
    rate, at least dual booting, if not total conversion. I've never kept
    count, but it'd be in the hundreds, at least.

    > 2. How many Linux servers or desktops have you set up at work?

    Well considering that was a fundamental part of my job, over the same
    period, again ... in two or three figures, including repeat custom from
    the same clients. Some of that was in heterogeneous environments, but I
    personally never handled the dirty (Windows) jobs.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    00:31:39 up 54 days, 23:26, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.00

+ Reply to Thread