[News] .NET on Linux -- "Yay!" or "Yay [Sarcasm /]"? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] .NET on Linux -- "Yay!" or "Yay [Sarcasm /]"? - Linux ; Hotskills: Mono lets .net developers run applications on Linux ,----[ Quote ] | To Mono's founders, the proprietary/open-source battle was less important | than issues of co-existence and the most appropriate platform for the job. | According to Justin Steinman, ...

  1. [News] .NET on Linux -- "Yay!" or "Yay [Sarcasm /]"?

    Hotskills: Mono lets .net developers run applications on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To Mono's founders, the proprietary/open-source battle was less important
    | than issues of co-existence and the most appropriate platform for the job.
    | According to Justin Steinman, Novell's director of product marketing for
    | Linux and open platform systems, and the man in charge of selling Mono to the
    | world, "Mono essentially enables you to run .net applications on Linux,"
    | giving you the choice of developing for either platform knowing that it will
    | run on both.
    `----

    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...cations-on.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/39hfxl

    Be aware that Steinman's "night job" (that's what he calls it) now involved
    both Microsoft /and/ Novell. This duality is similar to de Icaza's role at
    Novell.

    Related:

    Open Source Evolutionary *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some people say the drawback to Mono is the saber rattling from Microsoft
    | about patent, and that it doesn't support the latest versions of .NET. What
    | is your relationship like with Microsoft these days? *
    |
    | [Miguel:] So, I have two positions, and one is speaking as the person
    | managing the Mono team, and then there is another answer speaking as a Novell
    | vice president. So from the position of the open source community -- a
    | position not attached to Novell -- we as any other software project are aware
    | that software patents are a problem. We don't like them. We think they're bad
    | for the industry, but we know that we need to abide by that system. So we
    | have a very strict policy, that we'll not knowingly introduce patented code
    | into the Mono code base. If somebody raises an issue with us about a patent,
    | or that we're infringing on their code base, we'll be more than happy to
    | either do an investigation to see if there's prior art that will invalidate a
    | patent claim, or basically re-implement the same functionality using a
    | different approach. Or, if worse comes to worse, removing the code from Mono.
    | And I think that's pretty much the same rule that every open source project
    | has to use. * * * * * *
    `----

    http://reddevnews.com/qandas/article...itorialsid=115

    OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
    | products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
    | distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
    | the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
    | what basis they want to fight the free world.
    |
    | Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
    | from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
    | over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true.
    `----

    http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

    Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
    | .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
    | later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
    | the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
    | make public?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
    | the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
    | best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
    | he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
    | proprietary company's side to his side!!!
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...81&Itemid=1091

  2. Re: .NET on Linux -- "Yay!" or "Yay [Sarcasm /]"?

    On Oct 1, 4:45 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Hotskills: Mono lets .net developers run applications on Linux

    I have to say that with .NET 3.0 Microsoft has dropped a bombshell.

    Among the goodies:

    Fast easy way to set up RMI applications
    Fast easy way to build Rich Clients
    Fast easy way to script UI

    yes, Linux/OSS/Trolltech/GNOME had these things for years, but pulling
    it altogether into developers workstation, platforming on existing
    substrate APIs -- well, my experience with trying to get simple java
    listeners built and working shows that MS is doing something right.

    I only hope that mono can follow and give Linux that same ease of use.

    Best bet: MS ports its toolkits to Linux/Suse/Novell.

  3. Re: .NET on Linux -- "Yay!" or "Yay [Sarcasm /]"?

    On Oct 1, 7:59 pm, "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct"
    wrote:
    > On Oct 1, 4:45 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > > Hotskills: Mono lets .net developers run applications on Linux

    > I have to say that with .NET 3.0 Microsoft has dropped a bombshell.
    >
    > Among the goodies:
    >
    > Fast easy way to set up RMI applications
    > Fast easy way to build Rich Clients
    > Fast easy way to script UI
    >
    > yes, Linux/OSS/Trolltech/GNOME had these things for years, but pulling
    > it altogether into developers workstation, platforming on existing
    > substrate APIs -- well, my experience with trying to get simple java
    > listeners built and working shows that MS is doing something right.
    >
    > I only hope that mono can follow and give Linux that same ease of use.
    >
    > Best bet: MS ports its toolkits to Linux/Suse/Novell.

    3.5 is even better.... Along with WPF, WF, and WCF - you get LINQ,
    the new Entity Framework (LINQ to Entity) as well as several new
    features to the C# language - extension methods, anonymous types, and
    lambda expressions chief among these....

    --
    Tom Shelton

  4. Re: [News] .NET on Linux -- "Yay!" or "Yay [Sarcasm /]"?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Hotskills: Mono lets .net developers run applications on Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| To Mono's founders, the proprietary/open-source battle was less important
    >| than issues of co-existence and the most appropriate platform for the job.
    >| According to Justin Steinman, Novell's director of product marketing for
    >| Linux and open platform systems, and the man in charge of selling Mono to the
    >| world, "Mono essentially enables you to run .net applications on Linux,"
    >| giving you the choice of developing for either platform knowing that it will
    >| run on both.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...cations-on.htm
    > http://tinyurl.com/39hfxl
    >
    > Be aware that Steinman's "night job" (that's what he calls it) now involved
    > both Microsoft /and/ Novell. This duality is similar to de Icaza's role at
    > Novell.

    It's impressive spin, and I can see it convincing the under-informed
    quite nicely, which is the intention. Of course, since pretty much
    nobody out there has a clue what .Net is, then I can't see it being all
    that helpful.

    An interesting question to pose to a shilling journalist might be
    something like "will running .Net on Linux result in fewer trojans,
    viruses, botnets and spyware?".