[News] Adobe Releases New Flash 9 for Linux with Proprietary Codecs, Linux Treated Equally - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Adobe Releases New Flash 9 for Linux with Proprietary Codecs, Linux Treated Equally - Linux ; Flash Player 9 Update ,----[ Quote ] | This update, codenamed “Moviestar,” includes new features, enhancements and | bug fixes for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux versions of Flash Player 9, | including: | | * Support for H.264 video and ...

  1. [News] Adobe Releases New Flash 9 for Linux with Proprietary Codecs, Linux Treated Equally

    Flash Player 9 Update

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This update, codenamed “Moviestar,” includes new features, enhancements and
    | bug fixes for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux versions of Flash Player 9,
    | including:
    |
    | * Support for H.264 video and HE-AAC audio codecs.
    | * Multi-core support for vector rendering.
    | * Full screen mode with hardware scaling.
    | * Flash Player cache for common platform components, such as the Flex
    | framework.
    | * Support for Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA) in the Windows
    | plug-in.
    `----

    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/

    This time they keep the promise of making Linux a first-class citizen. Flash is
    needed to combat XAML/WPF -- Microsoft's Web infection that's intended to
    hijack and replace HTML.

    Related:

    ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
    | in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
    | public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
    | Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
    | the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
    | etwork applications.
    `----

    http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS...ack/1169824569

    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=9217

    Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web
    |
    | Silverlight is not about the World Wide Web. It's about The Microsoft
    | Web. It's about getting fools to rally around Microsoft. After all of
    | this time and experience with Microsoft, anybody with half a brain
    | will be smart enough to avoid doing that. The last thing you want to
    | be is dependent on Microsoft and set yourself up to be a DIRECT
    | competitor with "Microsoft Cloud Services" down the road. Dumb.
    | Foolish. Stupid. Smart investors won't invest one dime in your
    | company and might even short your stock.
    |
    | Remember, it's Microsoft's cloud. Microsoft is not investing in
    | huge datacenters all around the world for no reason. And, Microsoft
    | will do whatever it takes, including operating that new online
    | services business at a huge loss, to starve off any smaller
    | competitor that foolishly chose to develop on the Silverlight
    | platform. Microsoft sold $44 BILLION and cleared $18 BILLION
    | profit last year. How many billions did you make last year?
    `----

    http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-11406...ssageID=613757

    Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
    | finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
    | hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
    | wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
    | Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
    | multimedia over the Internet.
    `----

    Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
    | "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Adobe Releases New Flash 9 for Linux with Proprietary Codecs, Linux Treated Equally

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Flash Player 9 Update

    > This time they keep the promise of making Linux a first-class citizen.

    I don't think so. I tried their new plugin, Shockwave Flash 9.0 r64, with FF
    2.0.0.7 and even their own website (www.adobe.com) doesn't display
    correctly. As with previous versions, the dropdown menus still appear
    behind the image. www.toyota.com is another example. Not closer, Adobe, and
    no cigar.

    Attila

  3. Re: [News] Adobe Releases New Flash 9 for Linux with Proprietary Codecs, Linux Treated Equally

    ____/ Attila on Tuesday 02 October 2007 09:31 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Flash Player 9 Update

    >> This time they keep the promise of making Linux a first-class citizen.
    >>

    > I don't think so. I tried their new plugin, Shockwave Flash 9.0 r64, with FF
    > 2.0.0.7 and even their own website (www.adobe.com) doesn't display
    > correctly. As with previous versions, the dropdown menus still appear
    > behind the image. www.toyota.com is another example. Not closer, Adobe, and
    > no cigar.
    >
    > Attila

    They also had some UNIX/Linux/Solaris delays with Adobe Acrobat Reader a while
    ago, having promised to offer parity. But, as you say, it's closer. Much
    better than before.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
    Cpu(s): 27.2%us, 4.8%sy, 1.0%ni, 61.6%id, 4.9%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st