cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship - Linux

This is a discussion on cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship - Linux ; In the 4 years I've been posting to cola, a lot more "advocates" have left than have arrived: bgruff GreyCloud Peter Kohlmann (ran away a month ago) Philip Callan Roy Culley Rob Hughes Tim Fairchild (amosf) kier Rex Ballard (hardly ...

  1. cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship

    In the 4 years I've been posting to cola, a lot more "advocates" have left
    than have arrived:

    bgruff
    GreyCloud
    Peter Kohlmann (ran away a month ago)
    Philip Callan
    Roy Culley
    Rob Hughes
    Tim Fairchild (amosf)
    kier
    Rex Ballard (hardly posts any more)
    Jesse Hughes
    Jim Richardson
    spike1 (hardly posts any more)
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    thad01
    Bobbie (Triple Killer)
    Ralph
    Ray (raytard from the library - too few posts to mention))
    Handover Phist
    John Bailo
    Richard Rasker (too few posts to mention)
    alt
    mlw
    Ray Ingles
    rapskat
    Bob Hauck
    John Locke
    BearItAll

    These were guys that posted a lot and defended Linux to the end. They must
    have gotten sick of the crudware and moved on.

  2. Re: cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:55:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > In the 4 years I've been posting to cola, a lot more "advocates" have left
    > than have arrived:
    >
    > bgruff
    > GreyCloud
    > Peter Kohlmann (ran away a month ago)
    > Philip Callan
    > Roy Culley
    > Rob Hughes
    > Tim Fairchild (amosf)
    > kier
    > Rex Ballard (hardly posts any more)
    > Jesse Hughes
    > Jim Richardson
    > spike1 (hardly posts any more)
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg
    > thad01
    > Bobbie (Triple Killer)
    > Ralph
    > Ray (raytard from the library - too few posts to mention))
    > Handover Phist
    > John Bailo
    > Richard Rasker (too few posts to mention)
    > alt
    > mlw
    > Ray Ingles
    > rapskat
    > Bob Hauck
    > John Locke
    > BearItAll
    >
    > These were guys that posted a lot and defended Linux to the end. They must
    > have gotten sick of the crudware and moved on.

    Kenneth Downs.
    Donovan Rebechhi.
    John King.

    and many more....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: cola "advocates" have lives, Linux secure, Microsoft Vista the sinking ship

    Micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer Clogwog wrote on behalf of Half Wits
    from Micoshaft Corporation:

    > "H

    Fsck you too asshole!!!

    Your post is off topic.

  4. Re: cola "advocates" have lives, Linux secure, Microsoft Vista the sinking ship

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:Oru0k.1148$E41.799@text.news.virginmedia.com. ..
    > Micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer Clogwog wrote on behalf of Half Wits
    > from Micoshaft Corporation:
    >
    >> "H

    > Fsck you too asshole!!!
    >
    > Your post is off topic.

    Did you mean ****** intead of *F*k* or *FSCK* ?

    A NSW Court Of Appeal Judgement found that the words ****** and *cunt* or
    their derivatives cannot be considered offensive;
    "The evidence discloses that Sergeant Anderson habitually used the word
    '****' or its derivatives; that everyone else did also; that Constable
    Cowin herself did so regularly. It was, so a witness said, part of what
    oxymoronically is called 'police culture'. Likewise, the word 'cunt'
    (is) used from time to time, although Sergeant Anderson never used this
    word to Constable Cowin. There was no evidence that persons in the
    public area were ever offended, nor that the public area was frequented
    by gentle old ladies or convent schoolgirls. Bearing in mind that we
    are living in a post-Chatterley, post-Wolfenden age, taking into account
    all circumstances, and judging the matter from the point of view of
    reasonable contemporary standards, I cannot believe that Sergeant
    Anderson's language was legally 'offensive'".

    Meagher JA.
    Commissioner of Police v Anderson
    CA NSW unrep, 21 Oct 1996

    This information applies to Internet content and newsgroup posts.
    In the view of the author, the material is likely to be considered
    unsuitable for children according to the Australian National Classification
    Code, though not Prohibited or Potential Prohibited content.

    Placing content on the Internet may entail legal responsibilities under
    applicable State, Territory or Commonwealth law; You have a right to make
    complaints to the Australian Broadcasting Authority (ABA) about Prohibited
    Content or Potential Prohibited Content; and you have the right to know
    about the procedures by which such complaints to the ABA can be made.

    The Internet Industry Association (IIA) registered Codes of Conduct for
    Internet Content Hosts are voluntary, until and unless an Internet Content
    Host is directed to comply by the Australian Broadcasting Authority (ABA).
    The following information is provided voluntarily by the author for the
    specific purposes of helping to protect our children;

    The following categories of Internet content are prohibited: Content
    which is (or would be) classified RC or X by the Classification Board. Such
    content includes: material containing detailed instruction in crime,
    violence or drug use; child pornography; bestiality; excessively violent or
    sexually violent material. real depictions of actual sexual activity; and
    Content hosted in Australia which is classified R and not subject to a
    restricted access system which complies with criteria determined by the ABA.

    To make a complaint about the content, please visit the ABA website,
    read their procedures and use the appropriate forms. The ABA will not
    investigate a complaint about something a person disagrees with or simply
    does not like, if it is not otherwise prohibited content. Such complaints
    should be directed to the authors of the content, who can be reached via
    e-mail at webmaster AT rainx.cjb.net

    Other information on the ABA complaints process is available from
    NetAlert.

    If you need information about supervising and controlling children's
    access to the content, what procedures you or others responsible for
    children can implement to control access to the content, including the
    availability, use and appropriate application of Internet Content filtering
    software;

    Read Google search results for Supervising and controlling children's
    access to Internet content.

    Visit the Australian Internet Safety Advisory Body's (IIA) NetAlert
    website.

    If you are a gentle old lady or a convent schoolgirl, do not read any
    further.

[...]

  5. Re: cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:55:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > In the 4 years I've been posting to cola, a lot more "advocates" have
    > left than have arrived:
    >
    > bgruff
    > GreyCloud
    > Peter Kohlmann (ran away a month ago) Philip Callan
    > Roy Culley
    > Rob Hughes
    > Tim Fairchild (amosf)
    > kier
    > Rex Ballard (hardly posts any more)
    > Jesse Hughes
    > Jim Richardson
    > spike1 (hardly posts any more)
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg
    > thad01
    > Bobbie (Triple Killer)
    > Ralph
    > Ray (raytard from the library - too few posts to mention)) Handover
    > Phist
    > John Bailo
    > Richard Rasker (too few posts to mention) alt
    > mlw
    > Ray Ingles
    > rapskat
    > Bob Hauck
    > John Locke
    > BearItAll
    >
    > These were guys that posted a lot and defended Linux to the end. They
    > must have gotten sick of the crudware and moved on.

    ... or they got sick of you and your ilk.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: cola "advocates" ship afloat - Troll Alert

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote:
    >
    >> Seems some don't get it here. Linux has already won, there
    >> less need to advocate. However, if we want to talk about
    >> Wintrolls that have left, well there are:
    >>
    >> Abbie Diaz
    >> achmed.jones
    >> Aftab Singh

    >> Wobbles
    >> wylbur.horseman
    >> Yanick Schmuley and zyklon_C.
    >> Plus many, many, many more.
    >>
    >> Too bad they are all sock puppets.

    > Too bad they are all the *exact* names that you use when you
    > troll this group with your dozens of "Moshe Goldfarb is
    > Flatfish" posts.

    Well, I don't know who the anonymous "Moshe Goldfarb is Flatfish"
    poster is, but he is right and Ezekiel AKA

    Keith Windsor AKA LENNY, 1st Lt Jean Poole, Adam Baum, Barb
    Dwyer, Capt. James Pike, Capt. Morgan, Captain Commando, Colonel
    Ichabod Conk, Cpl. Kronk, Dr Gang Green, Dr. Disco, Dr.
    Fafoofnik, Dr. Feelgood, Dr. GroundAxe, Dr. Hungwell, Dr. Hurt,
    Dr. Livingston, Dr. McGillicudy, Dr. Pain, Dr. Seymour Butts, Dr.
    Shlongwell, Dr. Shlongwell (aka your Boss), Dr. Smooth, Dr.
    Zhivago, Geppetto Olivio, Gordon Glover, Lintard Luser, Lt.
    Stardust, nym-thief imposter of Mindy Cohen, Mr. Doug Hoel, Mr.
    X, Ms. Polly Ester, Ofc. Michael Clayton, rafael (note the
    nym-thief couldn't even leave poor Rafael alone), Randy Oaks,
    Sgt. Wannacker, SgtMajor Gansevoort, nym-thief imposter of
    Sinister Midget, Sophie McDowell, Simon Templar, Sue Romer, Sir
    Michael Clayton, Warren Piece and Zumwalt Humphry

    is not. Guess again, he might win. Then OTOH, he may not.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  7. [News] advocate ship afloat, Linux succeeds (again and again)

    Rick wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:55:48 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> In the 4 years I've been posting to cola, a lot more
    >> "advocates" have left than have arrived:
    >>
    >> bgruff GreyCloud Peter Kohlmann (ran away a month ago)
    >> Philip Callan Roy Culley Rob Hughes Tim Fairchild (amosf)
    >> kier Rex Ballard (hardly posts any more) Jesse Hughes Jim
    >> Richardson spike1 (hardly posts any more) Wolfgang
    >> Weisselberg thad01 Bobbie (Triple Killer) Ralph Ray (raytard
    >> from the library - too few posts to mention)) Handover Phist
    >> John Bailo Richard Rasker (too few posts to mention) alt
    >> mlw Ray Ingles rapskat Bob Hauck John Locke BearItAll
    >>
    >> These were guys that posted a lot and defended Linux to the
    >> end. They must have gotten sick of the crudware and moved
    >> on.

    > .. or they got sick of you and your ilk.

    I am sure there is some of that. One thing that has the trolls
    astir is the successfulness of Linux. The advent of portable
    laptops such as the Eee PC with Linux has shown the consumer that
    Linux is definitely viable alternative to Microsoft Windows.

    I purchased one for my daughter, she really loves her Linux
    equipped 4G.

    The nasty trolling in this newsgroup is evident of the success of
    Linux.

    here is one such recent success story:

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008

    CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source
    Open Source News - 24 April 2008 - Other European Countries -
    Deployments and Migrations

    About 70,000 students and their 7,000 teachers in the Geneva
    school district will gradually be moving to Open Source.

    The decision to move to Open Source was taken by the Geneva
    Public School District (Département de l’Instruction Publique
    Genevois (DIP) in March 2006, says Manuel Grandjean, project
    leader for the Geneva district's Open Source migration. "The
    district wants Open Source software to become the default."

    The migration to Open Source will begin after the next summer
    holiday with three projects. One school, the Candolle College in
    Geneva, will try out a complete Open Source desktop, using the
    GNU/Linux distribution Ubuntu. Next, OpenOffice will be installed
    on the 9,000 PCs in the school district that are used by
    teachers, replacing Microsoft Office. A third project is the
    migration to OpenOffice on the PCs used by the boards of all
    primary school.

    Replacing Microsoft Office by OpenOffice saves the state some
    300,000 SFr (about 186,000 euro) per year, says Grandjean.
    "Moving to a complete Open Source system will cut the IT costs by
    a third."

    The number of schools using GNU/Linux desktops will gradually be
    increased and eventually all teachers will be supplied with
    laptops running Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Grandjean expects the migration
    to be complete in three years time.

    DIP's IT service department will configure the Ubuntu GNU/Linux
    system as an option on all computers used for teaching (dual
    boot). Then, it will replace proprietary applications one by one
    by Open Source alternatives. DIP is also organising teacher
    training and is producing 10,000 copies of a DVD on the project.

    © European Communities 2008
    Thus, they are avoiding 186,000 EUR or 290,000 USD annually,
    which is a good chunk of change. Almost a third of a million
    bucks, as they say in Austin, TX.

    There are efforts afloat to continually promote Linux and FOSS in
    industry, as indicated by this bit of news from the EU:

    BG: 'Government's increasing use of Open Source inevitable'
    Open Source News - 29 May 2008 - Bulgaria - General

    The Bulgarian government will turn more and more to Open Source
    software, predicts Krasimir Panayotov, coordinator of the
    GNU/Linux User Group in the city of Rousse, the country's
    fifth-largest city.

    The Open Source advocacy group are confident that Bulgarian
    public administrations migrating to this type of software find it
    reduces the cost of IT and at the same time improves the security
    of their systems. To help get this message across, the user
    group is organising software demonstrations next month tailored
    especially for representatives of public administrations.

    The software demonstrations will take place on either 14 or 21
    June, says Panayotov, depending on availability of conference
    space at the Angel Kanchev University. Apart from proving to
    government representatives of how easy switching to Open Source
    is, the group plans to present the major Open Source
    distributions, including FreeBSD.

    The Rousse GNU/Linux enthusiasts are also getting busy organising
    the fourth annual Openfest conference, scheduled for this autumn.
    This Open Source conference is increasingly attracting
    representatives of public administrations, says Panayotov. "Some
    of our regular participants are IT workers from the local Custom
    Office."

    The non profit GNU/Linux user group was founded last year. It
    wants to provide information around the use of GNU/Linux and
    other Open Source applications. The group plans to regularly
    organise public events to discuss and demonstrate this type of
    software.

    Panayotov trusts that the Open Source demonstrations in June will
    help convince local IT administrators to at least try it out.
    "Those in public administration that use standard office
    productivity software, can switch to using Open Source
    alternatives almost immediately."

    © European Communities 2008
    --
    HPT

  8. Re: cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship

    On 2008-06-01, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:55:48 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> In the 4 years I've been posting to cola, a lot more "advocates" have left
    >> than have arrived:

    So? Mebbe they got distracted?

    Perhaps they are actualling DOING SOMETHING, either with or
    without their computer...

    >> bgruff
    >> GreyCloud
    >> Peter Kohlmann (ran away a month ago)
    >> Philip Callan

    [deletia]

    I can see certainly why people could get bored with something like COLA...

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  9. Re: cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:55:48 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the 4 years I've been posting to cola, a lot more "advocates" have left
    >>> than have arrived:

    >>> bgruff

    Probably bbgruff who is here now.

    >>> GreyCloud

    I think he inhabits mainly mac groups now. At least, I hope that's it,
    and not poor health.

    >>> Peter Kohlmann (ran away a month ago)

    Nah, probably still on vacation.

    >>> Philip Callan

    He was never around much, was he?

    > I can see certainly why people could get bored with something like COLA...

    He left out Ray Ingles, Terry Porter, and there were a few others who
    stopped posting around 9/11.

    COLA can be pretty boring, with trolls using **** to goad advocates into
    posting ****. It's a tenacious meme.

    --
    There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs.
    But there's no-one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.

  10. Re: cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship

    On Jun 1, 8:05*pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Probably bbgruff who is here now.

    > I think he inhabits mainly mac groups now. *At least, I hope that's it,
    > and not poor health.

    And white power groups. ****ing racist.

  11. Re: cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  12. Re: cola "advocates" have lives, Linux secure, Microsoft Vista the sinking ship

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  13. Re: cola "advocates" deserted the sinking ship