KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster - Linux

This is a discussion on KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster - Linux ; "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of epic proportions." http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of epic
    proportions."

    http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

  2. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:04:45 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of epic
    > proportions."
    >
    > http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    So what else is new.
    Slopware extreme but of course they will fix it all in the nest release.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    In article ,
    "DFS" wrote:

    > "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of epic
    > proportions."
    >
    > http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    This was a great paragraph:

    Heres the first problem. The new KDE launcher is a gynecologist
    interface: There you are, sitting in front of a 20" screen, but the
    programmer has dictated that you have to do everything by poking
    around in a small box.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    "DFS" writes:

    > "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of epic
    > proportions."
    >
    > http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    Rick should go and refute the issues raised with such painful statements
    as "No its not, it works fine for me".

    KDE is an over engineered mess.

  5. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    "DFS" writes:

    > "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of epic
    > proportions."
    >
    > http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    LOL!

    ,----
    | The KDE developers apparently believe that there is nothing wrong with
    | this new launcher, pointing at the fact that they did proper HCI
    | usability studies. Well, yes they did, with 10 people. I’m willing to
    | bet that at most 1 or 2 of those people was a spatial memory person.
    `----

    And I would add that 9 of them were probably mates who already knew how
    it worked ...

  6. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:49:08 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    >> epic proportions."
    >>
    >> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/
    >>

    > Rick should go and refute the issues raised with such painful statements
    > as "No its not, it works fine for me".

    Since I haven't tried KDE 4, I wouldn't know if it would work for me.

    > KDE is an over engineered mess.

    No, it isn't.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 06:48:29 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:49:08 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> "DFS" writes:
    >>
    >>> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    >>> epic proportions."
    >>>
    >>> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/
    >>>

    >> Rick should go and refute the issues raised with such painful statements
    >> as "No its not, it works fine for me".

    > Since I haven't tried KDE 4, I wouldn't know if it would work for me.

    I tried it, but of course it's still in beta. Most major distros aren't
    going to officially include it until KDE 4.1 is released sometime in
    October (IIRC).

    >> KDE is an over engineered mess.

    > No, it isn't.

    Not, it isn't.

    It is for Quack, though. He only wants one distro & one desktop remember.

    --
    This message was sent from *another*
    computer which is guaranteed

  8. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:04:45 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    > epic proportions."
    >
    > http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    Is the "new app launcher" set as the default?
    Can you switch from the "new app launcher" back to the KDE menu style?
    When did they rename the Kickoff menu the "new app launcher"?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:49:08 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    >> epic proportions."
    >>
    >> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/
    >>

    > Rick should go and refute the issues raised with such painful statements
    > as "No its not, it works fine for me".

    Is the "new app launcher" set as the default?
    Can you switch from the "new app launcher" back to the KDE menu style?
    When did they rename the Kickoff menu the "new app launcher"?

    > KDE is an over engineered mess.

    No, it is not.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: more efficient than the old style

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:04:45 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    > epic proportions."
    >
    > http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    <http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr.../This+Thing+We
    +Call+KDE+4:+The+Wow+Factor.htm>

    "For example, the new application launcher Kicker (see Figure 1), while
    neater and more efficient than the old style menu system, takes some
    getting used to."

    Gee, DFS, someone that doesn't agree with your headline. I guess it isn't
    an epic disaster for everyone.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:49:08 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    >> epic proportions."
    >>
    >> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/
    >>

    > Rick should go and refute the issues raised with such painful statements
    > as "No its not, it works fine for me".

    Based only on a few minutes of examination... it does seem to work, but,
    I don't like it. The "new app launcher" is Kickoff, which has been around
    for a while. I prefer the current default menu. If it becomes the default
    menu, but the present remains as an alternative, that will work for me.
    If it becomes the default, without the present menu being available AND
    it isn't customizable to my wants, I may well switch to another window
    manager, or another desktop environment.

    Isn't choice wonderful.

    > KDE is an over engineered mess.

    No, it isn't.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 06:58:23 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:04:45 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    >> epic proportions."
    >>
    >> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    > Is the "new app launcher" set as the default? Can you switch from the "new
    > app launcher" back to the KDE menu style?

    Yes.

    > When did they rename the Kickoff menu the "new app launcher"?

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
    -- 64bit Mandriva 2008.1 --

  13. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:15:12 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 06:58:23 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:04:45 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    >>> epic proportions."
    >>>
    >>> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    >> Is the "new app launcher" set as the default? Can you switch from the
    >> "new app launcher" back to the KDE menu style?

    > Yes.

    Whew... I'm glad of that :-)

    >> When did they rename the Kickoff menu the "new app launcher"?

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    "Rick" stated in post
    5KqdnTMxcvVCE9_VnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.com on 6/1/08 4:58 AM:

    > On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:04:45 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of
    >> epic proportions."
    >>
    >> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/

    > Is the "new app launcher" set as the default?
    > Can you switch from the "new app launcher" back to the KDE menu style?
    > When did they rename the Kickoff menu the "new app launcher"?

    Do you think they should have stayed consistent? Would that have been a
    benefit?

    LOL!

    --Aldous Huxley

  15. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On 2008-06-01, Hadron wrote:
    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of epic
    >> proportions."
    >>
    >> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/
    >>

    > Rick should go and refute the issues raised with such painful statements
    > as "No its not, it works fine for me".
    >
    > KDE is an over engineered mess.

    ....this is the sort of critique that doesn't even rise up to
    the level of "No its not, it works fine for me".

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  16. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-06-01, Hadron wrote:
    >> "DFS" writes:
    >>
    >>> "...the new KDE 4 application launcher is a user interface disaster of epic
    >>> proportions."
    >>>
    >>> http://meta.ath0.com/2008/01/18/kde-4-ui-critique/
    >>>

    >> Rick should go and refute the issues raised with such painful statements
    >> as "No its not, it works fine for me".
    >>
    >> KDE is an over engineered mess.

    > ...this is the sort of critique that doesn't even rise up to
    > the level of "No its not, it works fine for me".

    Despite all the evidence to the contrary eh?

    I much prefer Gnome - KDE tries to be too much to too many. It reinvents
    more wheels than is good for it.

  17. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:31:29 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> Rick should go and refute the issues raised with such painful
    >>> statements as "No its not, it works fine for me".
    >>>
    >>> KDE is an over engineered mess.

    >> ...this is the sort of critique that doesn't even rise up to the level
    >> of "No its not, it works fine for me".

    > Despite all the evidence to the contrary eh?
    >
    > I much prefer Gnome - KDE tries to be too much to too many. It reinvents
    > more wheels than is good for it.

    .... except that KDE was here before Gnome. as far as "KDE tries to be too
    much to too many", that's your opinion. A large number of people disagree
    with you,

    --
    Rick

    T7Gdnc5s2q6rud7VnZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@supernews.com on 6/1/08 3:35 PM:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:31:29 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> ...this is the sort of critique that doesn't even rise up to the level
    >>> of "No its not, it works fine for me".

    >> Despite all the evidence to the contrary eh?
    >>
    >> I much prefer Gnome - KDE tries to be too much to too many. It reinvents
    >> more wheels than is good for it.

    > ... except that KDE was here before Gnome.

    So? Really... why even mention this point that is not in contention?

    > as far as "KDE tries to be too much to too many", that's your opinion. A
    > large number of people disagree with you,

    Do you think that those people's views somehow alter reality?

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein

  19. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    Rick writes:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:31:29 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> ...this is the sort of critique that doesn't even rise up to the level
    >>> of "No its not, it works fine for me".

    >> Despite all the evidence to the contrary eh?
    >>
    >> I much prefer Gnome - KDE tries to be too much to too many. It reinvents
    >> more wheels than is good for it.

    > ... except that KDE was here before Gnome. as far as "KDE tries to be
    > too

    So what? I never said it wasn't.

    > much to too many", that's your opinion. A large number of people disagree
    > with you,

    Well they might if they, like you, have no idea what it means.

  20. Re: KDE4 app launcher menu: an epic disaster

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:25:01 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Despite all the evidence to the contrary eh?
    >>>
    >>> I much prefer Gnome - KDE tries to be too much to too many. It
    >>> reinvents more wheels than is good for it.

    >> ... except that KDE was here before Gnome. as far as "KDE tries to be
    >> too

    > So what? I never said it wasn't.

    That would me that it is the Gnome team that is trying to re-invent the
    wheel.

    >> much to too many", that's your opinion. A large number of people
    >> disagree with you,

    > Well they might if they, like you, have no idea what it means.

    I see... you position is that if people agree with you, they know what
    they are doing, if they don't agree with you they don't know what you are
    doing.
    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread