Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphone jack. - Linux

This is a discussion on Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphone jack. - Linux ; Hi. I had just purchased a Audigy 2ZS (with Firewire) and have the problem, that I'm not able to get any sound out of it. I use the head-phone jack and could only hear some switching noises when I mute ...

  1. Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphone jack.

    Hi.
    I had just purchased a Audigy 2ZS (with Firewire) and have the
    problem, that I'm not able to get any sound out of it. I use the
    head-phone jack and could only hear some switching noises when I mute
    unmute the analog/digital option and some application (alsaplayer) is
    using it. Otherwise it's silent as silence comes.

    What could be the reason that it does not work? I have a ES1688
    on-board chip which does work when I just load the necessary
    modules. And everything runs on a DPW 500au (digital alpha) with
    debian testing

    Any Ideas?

    TIA

    Torsten

    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten
    Zirzlaff

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second,
    defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and
    the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

  2. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on theheadphone jack.

    "Torsten Zirzlaff" writes:

    > Hi.
    > I had just purchased a Audigy 2ZS (with Firewire) and have the
    > problem, that I'm not able to get any sound out of it. I use the
    > head-phone jack and could only hear some switching noises when I mute
    > unmute the analog/digital option and some application (alsaplayer) is
    > using it. Otherwise it's silent as silence comes.
    >
    > What could be the reason that it does not work? I have a ES1688
    > on-board chip which does work when I just load the necessary
    > modules. And everything runs on a DPW 500au (digital alpha) with
    > debian testing

    Does the card work in a PC with similar versions of things? In other
    words, is this an Alpha specific problem?

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  3. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphone jack.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= writes:

    >"Torsten Zirzlaff" writes:

    >> Hi.
    >> I had just purchased a Audigy 2ZS (with Firewire) and have the
    >> problem, that I'm not able to get any sound out of it. I use the
    >> head-phone jack and could only hear some switching noises when I mute
    >> unmute the analog/digital option and some application (alsaplayer) is
    >> using it. Otherwise it's silent as silence comes.

    First by default alsa mutes everything. So you have to use alsamixer to
    unmute and shove up the volume on a variety of sliders (Note that the mixer
    names and the functions are almost completely divorced from anything. Main
    volume usually does nothing. It is the PCM that seems to control the output
    volume, however the names depend crucially on your soundcard. I would push
    all sliders up to about 60% and then pull them down until you find which
    one controls the sound.)

    Secondly, what is your module that you are using to control the sound card.
    for firewire I might suspect you need snd-usb-audio but am not sure at all
    what the proper driver for a firewire card is.

    >> What could be the reason that it does not work? I have a ES1688
    >> on-board chip which does work when I just load the necessary
    >> modules. And everything runs on a DPW 500au (digital alpha) with
    >> debian testing

    >Does the card work in a PC with similar versions of things? In other
    >words, is this an Alpha specific problem?

  4. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphone jack.

    Hi.

    Måns Rullgård writes:

    [...]
    > Does the card work in a PC with similar versions of things? In other
    > words, is this an Alpha specific problem?

    I can not tell, since I do not have any regular PC at hand to test
    it. I guess it's more like that, that this particular combination of
    soundcards is the culprit.

    0000:01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350)

    0000:01:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy MIDI/Game port (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy MIDI/Game Port

    0000:01:08.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port

    I try to look if I'm more successful by using the OSS sound-system
    as some people say. May be the ALSA-soundsystem is far from perfect on
    this card .

    TIA

    Torsten
    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff
    70190 Stuttgart
    Germany e-mail : zirzlaff@nienor.s.bawue.de
    phone: +49 711 285 19 40 torsten@zirzlaff.de
    mobil: +49 174 857 56 77
    data: +49 711 286 40 57/9

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

  5. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on theheadphone jack.

    Torsten Zirzlaff writes:

    > Hi.
    >
    > Måns Rullgård writes:
    >
    > [...]
    >>
    >> Does the card work in a PC with similar versions of things? In other
    >> words, is this an Alpha specific problem?

    > I can not tell, since I do not have any regular PC at hand to test
    > it. I guess it's more like that, that this particular combination of
    > soundcards is the culprit.

    I can only say that I haven't used a sound card from Creative since an
    SB Live failed to work in an Alpha a long time ago. It may have been
    a driver issue (the driver was fairly new), or it may have been
    something else. I got a CM8738 based card instead, and haven't had
    any trouble since.

    > 0000:01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
    > Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350)
    >
    > 0000:01:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy MIDI/Game port (rev 04)
    > Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy MIDI/Game Port
    >
    > 0000:01:08.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    > Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port

    Does the firewire port work? Load the ohci1394 module, plug something
    in, and see if anything happens.

    > I try to look if I'm more successful by using the OSS sound-system
    > as some people say. May be the ALSA-soundsystem is far from perfect on
    > this card .

    It is listed as supported on the ALSA web page, so it should work.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  6. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphone jack.

    Hi.

    Måns Rullgård writes:

    [...]
    > I can only say that I haven't used a sound card from Creative since an
    > SB Live failed to work in an Alpha a long time ago. It may have been
    > a driver issue (the driver was fairly new), or it may have been
    > something else. I got a CM8738 based card instead, and haven't had
    > any trouble since.

    Hm, may be I change my current as well, but the firewire is tempting .

    > Does the firewire port work? Load the ohci1394 module, plug something
    > in, and see if anything happens.

    Hm, I do not know, but I think so.

    >> I try to look if I'm more successful by using the OSS sound-system
    >> as some people say. May be the ALSA-soundsystem is far from perfect on
    >> this card .

    Well, the OSS driver works like a charm, but I have no idea if it's
    support the stuff I had mind, like mixing surround to stereo on the
    card.

    May be I had to contact the ALSA people.

    TIA

    Torsten

    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff
    70190 Stuttgart
    Germany e-mail : zirzlaff@nienor.s.bawue.de
    phone: +49 711 285 19 40 torsten@zirzlaff.de
    mobil: +49 174 857 56 77
    data: +49 711 286 40 57/9

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

  7. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on theheadphone jack.

    Torsten Zirzlaff writes:

    > Hi.
    >
    > Måns Rullgård writes:
    >
    > [...]
    >>
    >> I can only say that I haven't used a sound card from Creative since an
    >> SB Live failed to work in an Alpha a long time ago. It may have been
    >> a driver issue (the driver was fairly new), or it may have been
    >> something else. I got a CM8738 based card instead, and haven't had
    >> any trouble since.

    > Hm, may be I change my current as well, but the firewire is tempting .

    There are other cards with firewire.

    >> Does the firewire port work? Load the ohci1394 module, plug something
    >> in, and see if anything happens.

    > Hm, I do not know, but I think so.
    >
    >>> I try to look if I'm more successful by using the OSS sound-system
    >>> as some people say. May be the ALSA-soundsystem is far from perfect on
    >>> this card .

    > Well, the OSS driver works like a charm, but I have no idea if it's
    > support the stuff I had mind, like mixing surround to stereo on the
    > card.
    >
    > May be I had to contact the ALSA people.

    It might be worth a try.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  8. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphonejack.

    Torsten Zirzlaff wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I had just purchased a Audigy 2ZS (with Firewire) and have the
    > problem, that I'm not able to get any sound out of it. I use the
    > head-phone jack and could only hear some switching noises when I mute
    > unmute the analog/digital option and some application (alsaplayer) is
    > using it. Otherwise it's silent as silence comes.
    >
    > What could be the reason that it does not work? I have a ES1688
    > on-board chip which does work when I just load the necessary
    > modules. And everything runs on a DPW 500au (digital alpha) with
    > debian testing
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Torsten
    >
    > --
    > s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten
    > Zirzlaff
    > 70190 Stuttgart
    > Germany e-mail :
    > zirzlaff@nienor.s.bawue.de
    > phone: +49 711 285 19 40
    > torsten@zirzlaff.de
    > mobil: +49 174 857 56 77
    > data: +49 711 286 40 57/9
    >
    > +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    > | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second,
    > defined |
    > | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and
    > the cab |
    > | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'
    > |
    > +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

    Hello,

    what version of ALSA do you use?
    I have a audigy 2ZS running with alsa 1.0.9.

    BR
    Hans-Juergen Lange

  9. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphone jack.

    Hi.

    Hans-Juergen Lange writes:
    [...]
    > Hello,
    >
    > what version of ALSA do you use?

    Well, cat /proc/asound/version gives:
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.9b.
    Compiled on Aug 15 2005 for kernel 2.6.12.4.20050814.

    > I have a audigy 2ZS running with alsa 1.0.9.

    I just subscribed to the alsa-user list and it looks that I'm not
    the only person who have such a problem. From what I had gasped it
    seems to be a problem of the mixer and related layers in the
    ALSA-structure, since it is possible to get some sound of it when I
    bypass the DSP and stuff. Alas it very loud if you do that .

    > BR
    > Hans-Juergen Lange

    Ciao

    Torsten

    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff
    70190 Stuttgart
    Germany e-mail : zirzlaff@nienor.s.bawue.de
    phone: +49 711 285 19 40 torsten@zirzlaff.de
    mobil: +49 174 857 56 77
    data: +49 711 286 40 57/9

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

  10. Re: Q: Setting up a Creative Audigy 2ZS and no sound on the headphonejack.

    Torsten Zirzlaff wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Hans-Juergen Lange writes:
    > [...]
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>what version of ALSA do you use?

    > Well, cat /proc/asound/version gives:
    > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.9b.
    > Compiled on Aug 15 2005 for kernel 2.6.12.4.20050814.
    >

    >>I have a audigy 2ZS running with alsa 1.0.9.

    > I just subscribed to the alsa-user list and it looks that I'm not
    > the only person who have such a problem. From what I had gasped it
    > seems to be a problem of the mixer and related layers in the
    > ALSA-structure, since it is possible to get some sound of it when I
    > bypass the DSP and stuff. Alas it very loud if you do that .
    >

    >>BR
    >>Hans-Juergen Lange

    > Ciao
    >
    > Torsten

    Hello,

    somewhere I read that all analog input channels are first mixed and than
    go thru the Analog capture channel.
    The Analog-Capture slider could only be found in the alsamixer not in
    kmix, aumix and others.
    Yes, yes now I remember what I did.

    I used the alsa-driver-1.0.9b as you did, set the analog capture level
    with alsamixer and than stored this with alsactl. On startup this sets
    the capture level to a suitable level.
    After that I can use all channels on the audigy.

    BR
    Hans-Juergen Lange

+ Reply to Thread