How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq? - Linux

This is a discussion on How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq? - Linux ; I was wondering, I think we need to PETITION Compaq/HP to release the source code to a group that wouldn't mind actually having it since they've obviously haven't put a dime into for the past 2 years.I'm pretty sure GNU.org ...

  1. How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq?

    I was wondering, I think we need to PETITION Compaq/HP to release the source
    code to a group that wouldn't mind actually having it since they've
    obviously haven't put a dime into for the past 2 years.I'm pretty sure
    GNU.org wouldn't mind getting there hands on it and incorporating it in to
    GCC sometime soon. Some thing like the open solaris project.

    Who could we send such a petition to?!?! Will L G

  2. Re: How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq?

    Just found out, President Mark Hurd... CEO ;-)

    " DiskMan" wrote in message
    > I was wondering, I think we need to PETITION Compaq/HP to release the

    source
    > code to a group that wouldn't mind actually having it since they've
    > obviously haven't put a dime into for the past 2 years.I'm pretty sure
    > GNU.org wouldn't mind getting there hands on it and incorporating it in to
    > GCC sometime soon. Some thing like the open solaris project.
    >
    > Who could we send such a petition to?!?! Will L G

  3. Re: How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq?

    DiskMan wrote:

    > I was wondering, I think we need to PETITION Compaq/HP to release the
    > source code to a group that wouldn't mind actually having it since they've
    > obviously haven't put a dime into for the past 2 years.I'm pretty sure
    > GNU.org wouldn't mind getting there hands on it and incorporating it in to
    > GCC sometime soon. Some thing like the open solaris project.
    >
    > Who could we send such a petition to?!?! Will L G

    It didn't do much good to the people who were trying to save the Apollo.

  4. Re: How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq?

    yeah but a petition got family guy back on the air so they arent always
    losers

  5. Re: How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq?

    A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, "twopoint" wrote:
    > yeah but a petition got family guy back on the air so they arent always
    > losers

    If you buy $500M worth of Alpha systems, then they'll listen to you.

    That's why Family Guy got back on the air.

    You won't see Alpha come back from the coffin unless there is some
    reasonable expectation of literal $Billions of dollar$ being spent on
    new Alpha hardware.
    --
    wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','cbbrowne.com').
    http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html

  6. Re: How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq?

    Christopher Browne writes:

    > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, "twopoint" wrote:
    >> yeah but a petition got family guy back on the air so they arent always
    >> losers

    > If you buy $500M worth of Alpha systems, then they'll listen to you.
    >
    > That's why Family Guy got back on the air.
    >
    > You won't see Alpha come back from the coffin unless there is some
    > reasonable expectation of literal $Billions of dollar$ being spent on
    > new Alpha hardware.

    Besides, the everything Alpha related has been sold off to various
    places, such as Intel. Bringing it back to life would seem very
    difficult under those circumstances.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  7. Re: How about 'petitioning' HP/Compaq?

    I wasn't talking about petitioning in order to bring back the Alpha, nice
    idea, but I was thinking of petitioning Compaq in order to get them to
    release CompaqC/CXX as open source so that it can be possibly 'upgraded' or
    'absorbed' into the GnuC project... Will L G

+ Reply to Thread