Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit? - Linux

This is a discussion on Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit? - Linux ; Sorry ... dumb question perhaps ... I've got an old Alpha box that is running RH Linux 6.2. I find it hard to believe anyone was doing 64-bit Linux back then ... but I also find it hard to believe ...

  1. Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

    Sorry ... dumb question perhaps ...

    I've got an old Alpha box that is running RH Linux 6.2.

    I find it hard to believe anyone was doing 64-bit Linux back then
    ... but I also find it hard to believe that a port to a new chip
    like the Alpha would have been 32-bit (what would have been the
    point?).

    At any rate -- can anyone provide a means of verifying whether I've got
    a 32-bit or 64-bit OS installed on this box?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

    On 2005-06-08, bkrolland@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've got an old Alpha box that is running RH Linux 6.2.
    >
    > I find it hard to believe anyone was doing 64-bit Linux back then
    > ... but I also find it hard to believe that a port to a new chip
    > like the Alpha would have been 32-bit (what would have been the
    > point?).
    >
    > At any rate -- can anyone provide a means of verifying whether I've got
    > a 32-bit or 64-bit OS installed on this box?

    It's 64-bits. To check, throw together a short C program
    that prints the sizes of various data types, especially
    'long' and 'void *'. You should see that those are 8 bytes
    each. Use sizeof().

    I think it was RHL 6.2 I had on my Alpha machine when first
    bought it. I had some difficulties porting the staunchly
    32-bit-only Squeak program to it, because the machine and OS
    were _NOT_ 32-bit.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

    Thanks for the quick response.

    Duh on the sizeof() ... I'm gettin' too old for this ...

  4. Re: Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

    bkrolland@yahoo.com writes:

    > Sorry ... dumb question perhaps ...
    >
    > I've got an old Alpha box that is running RH Linux 6.2.
    >
    > I find it hard to believe anyone was doing 64-bit Linux back then
    > ... but I also find it hard to believe that a port to a new chip
    > like the Alpha would have been 32-bit (what would have been the
    > point?).
    >
    > At any rate -- can anyone provide a means of verifying whether I've got
    > a 32-bit or 64-bit OS installed on this box?

    The Alpha has been 100% 64-bit ever since the first model was released
    back in 1992, unlike the half-breeds now being touted as something new
    and innovative.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  5. Re: Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

    In message , Robert M. Riches Jr.
    writes
    >On 2005-06-08, bkrolland@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I think it was RHL 6.2 I had on my Alpha machine when first
    >bought it. I had some difficulties porting the staunchly
    >32-bit-only Squeak program to it

    So what is squeak ?

    Cheers, J/.
    --
    John Beardmore

  6. Re: Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

    On 2005-06-08, John Beardmore wrote:
    > In message , Robert M. Riches Jr.
    > writes
    >>On 2005-06-08, bkrolland@yahoo.com wrote:

    >>I think it was RHL 6.2 I had on my Alpha machine when first
    >>bought it. I had some difficulties porting the staunchly
    >>32-bit-only Squeak program to it

    > So what is squeak ?

    It's an implementation of Smalltalk done by a group of
    Macophiles, at least one of them rather famous in the
    Apple-Mac community. I was _N_O_T_ impressed with it, and
    neither were a good fraction of the other students in the
    Object Oriented Programming grad school class that required
    doing the projects in Squeak. (Being as the other Smalltalk
    implementations out there cost ~$3K and Squeak is free, we
    didn't complain as much as we might have...)

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  7. Re: Red Hat 6.2 on Alpha -- is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

    bkrolland@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I find it hard to believe anyone was doing 64-bit Linux back then

    64-bit Linux was running on Alpha from 1994. I have seen recently some
    uninformed claims that BSD on Alpha in 1995 was the first free 64-bit
    OS. As a matter of fact a 32-bit verion of Linux on Alpha was only an
    internal "first cut" at DEC and was never released to a public.
    Everything you could ever download, starting with "BLADE", was always
    fully 64-bit.

    Yes, I know that some try to sound like they invented a 64-bit OS just
    yesterday and before that there was only a desert. What's new?

    Michal

+ Reply to Thread