Compaq Linux development tools and Red Hat 7.2 - Linux

This is a discussion on Compaq Linux development tools and Red Hat 7.2 - Linux ; Hi, I'm currently running Red Hat Linux 7.2 on a little AlphaPC 164LX-based workstation. I want to test the Linux development tools provided by Compaq but the latest available binutils and gdb RPMs are targeted for Red Hat Linux 6.2 ...

  1. Compaq Linux development tools and Red Hat 7.2

    Hi,

    I'm currently running Red Hat Linux 7.2 on a little AlphaPC 164LX-based
    workstation. I want to test the Linux development tools provided by
    Compaq but the latest available binutils and gdb RPMs are targeted for
    Red Hat Linux 6.2 only. Question is: do I need to install them anyway?
    Otherwise, what will happen if I keep the binutils and gdb RPMs provided
    by Red Hat Linux 7.2 when using the Compaq development tools?

    Thanks for any input.

  2. Re: Compaq Linux development tools and Red Hat 7.2

    "Emeric Maschino" writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm currently running Red Hat Linux 7.2 on a little AlphaPC 164LX-based
    > workstation. I want to test the Linux development tools provided by
    > Compaq but the latest available binutils and gdb RPMs are targeted for
    > Red Hat Linux 6.2 only. Question is: do I need to install them anyway?
    > Otherwise, what will happen if I keep the binutils and gdb RPMs provided
    > by Red Hat Linux 7.2 when using the Compaq development tools?

    It will work just fine. Newer binutils and gdb generally understand
    everything older versions could handle.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Compaq Linux development tools and Red Hat 7.2

    > It will work just fine. Newer binutils and gdb generally understand
    > everything older versions could handle.

    OK. Thank you. I first thought the Compaq-provided binutils and gdb RPMS
    were recompiled with ccc.