ALpha 200 4/233 help please - Linux

This is a discussion on ALpha 200 4/233 help please - Linux ; External scsi cdrom . how do I boot from it to install nix ?./ best to use , any help appreciated . -- X-No-Archive: Yes...

  1. ALpha 200 4/233 help please

    --

  2. Re: ALpha 200 4/233 help please

    atec <"atec77(notspam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > External scsi cdrom . how do I boot from it to install nix ?./

    If this is internal or external device it really does not matter
    very much. The whole thing boils down to two different questions:
    - is this device visible to your firmware and if yes then
    under what name?
    - can your firmware use it as a boot device?

    If answers to these questions are both "yes" then you boot like
    from anything else. This means, for example, that you type
    something like 'b dka5 -fl 0' with a proper boot CD in a drive
    (if your firmware is SRM). If you answered no to one of the above
    then maybe you can update your firmware. If that is not doable
    then you have to find some other boot device.

    Did you try Google for details? Many answers can be found on
    the net.

    Michal

  3. Re: ALpha 200 4/233 help please

    Michal Jaegermann wrote:

    > atec <"atec77(notspam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > External scsi cdrom . how do I boot from it to install nix ?./

    > If this is internal or external device it really does not matter
    > very much. The whole thing boils down to two different questions:
    > - is this device visible to your firmware and if yes then
    > under what name?

    don't know , Ive not played with one of these before , it appears to
    have some sort of AIX ?. installed
    > - can your firmware use it as a boot device?

    well I typed b dka5 -fl 0 and got a bootstrap failure ,

    > If answers to these questions are both "yes" then you boot like
    > from anything else. This means, for example, that you type
    > something like 'b dka5 -fl 0' with a proper boot CD in a drive
    > (if your firmware is SRM). If you answered no to one of the above
    > then maybe you can update your firmware. If that is not doable
    > then you have to find some other boot device.
    >
    > Did you try Google for details? Many answers can be found on
    > the net.

    yes I did but nothing which made much sense to me and could be
    considered helpful

    --

  4. Re: ALpha 200 4/233 help please

    atec <"atec77(notspam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Michal Jaegermann wrote:
    >> - is this device visible to your firmware and if yes then
    >> under what name?

    > don't know , Ive not played with one of these before , it appears to
    > have some sort of AIX ?. installed

    Hardly likely. You would have there some version of OSF/1, a.k.a. DU,
    a.k.a. Tru64. If there is such OS on it then there should be a license
    with your box. Keep backups.

    >> - can your firmware use it as a boot device?

    > well I typed b dka5 -fl 0 and got a bootstrap failure ,

    Why did you use 'dka5'? Because I accidentally employed that string in
    an example? It also depends on what you happened to stuck into your CD
    drive. But we are getting somewhere. If you can type that and get such
    response that means that you are doing that at SRM prompt, which looks
    like this '>>> ', and you can type there such things like

    help | more
    show dev

    What the later actually shows is relevant for you.

    >> Did you try Google for details? Many answers can be found on
    >> the net.

    > yes I did but nothing which made much sense to me and could be
    > considered helpful

    That would depend what you deem to be "helpful", I guess. But still
    have a look at http://www.alphalinux.org/ paying a particular attention
    to "AlphaLinux Docs" and "SRM Howto" in there. Reading README, and
    other text files, from your distribution CDs may also turn out to be a
    worthwhile activity.

    Michal

+ Reply to Thread