Installations problems - Linux

This is a discussion on Installations problems - Linux ; Hi.. I have this DEC Alpha server 3300R, well i have tried to install debian 3.0, but i cant make new partitions on the HDD. The owner before me used Windows NT and have made some test with Suse. Well ...

  1. Installations problems

    Hi..
    I have this DEC Alpha server 3300R, well i have tried to install debian 3.0,
    but i cant make new partitions on the HDD. The owner before me used Windows
    NT and have made some test with Suse.
    Well i have set the os type to unix, and startet the SRM console, but i cant
    get it to boot from the hdd, it cant find the boot sector..
    /Brian Friis Knudsen
    Denmark

  2. Re: Installations problems

    "Brian Friis Knudsen" writes:

    > Hi..
    > I have this DEC Alpha server 3300R, well i have tried to install debian 3.0,
    > but i cant make new partitions on the HDD. The owner before me used Windows
    > NT and have made some test with Suse.
    > Well i have set the os type to unix, and startet the SRM console, but i cant
    > get it to boot from the hdd, it cant find the boot sector..

    You need to boot off a CD and repartition with OSF disklabels instead
    of FAT-style partition table.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Installations problems

    "Måns Rullgård" skrev i en meddelelse
    > "Brian Friis Knudsen" writes:
    >
    > > Hi..
    > > I have this DEC Alpha server 3300R, well i have tried to install debian

    3.0,
    > > but i cant make new partitions on the HDD. The owner before me used

    Windows
    > > NT and have made some test with Suse.
    > > Well i have set the os type to unix, and startet the SRM console, but i

    cant
    > > get it to boot from the hdd, it cant find the boot sector..

    > You need to boot off a CD and repartition with OSF disklabels instead
    > of FAT-style partition table.
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård
    > mru@kth.se

    And how do i do that ? :-)

  4. Re: Installations problems

    "Brian Friis Knudsen" writes:

    > "Måns Rullgård" skrev...
    >> "Brian Friis Knudsen" writes:
    >>
    >> > Hi.. I have this DEC Alpha server 3300R, well i have tried to
    >> > install debian 3.0, but i cant make new partitions on the HDD. The
    >> > owner before me used Windows NT and have made some test with Suse.
    >> > Well i have set the os type to unix, and startet the SRM console,
    >> > but i cant get it to boot from the hdd, it cant find the boot
    >> > sector..

    >> You need to boot off a CD and repartition with OSF disklabels
    >> instead of FAT-style partition table.

    > And how do i do that ? :-)

    I assume you have a bootable Linux CD. Boot it and run fdisk. There
    is some command there to switch to BSD disklabel mode. Use that.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  5. Re: Installations problems

    "Brian Friis Knudsen" skrev i meddelandet
    news:40c08268$0$437$edfadb0f@dread14.news.tele.dk. ..

    > "Måns Rullgård" skrev i en meddelelse
    > > "Brian Friis Knudsen" writes:
    > >
    > > > Hi..
    > > > I have this DEC Alpha server 3300R, well i have tried to install

    debian
    > 3.0,
    > > > but i cant make new partitions on the HDD. The owner before me used

    > Windows
    > > > NT and have made some test with Suse.
    > > > Well i have set the os type to unix, and startet the SRM console, but

    > cant
    > > > get it to boot from the hdd, it cant find the boot sector..

    > > You need to boot off a CD and repartition with OSF disklabels instead
    > > of FAT-style partition table.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Måns Rullgård
    > > mru@kth.se

    > And how do i do that ? :-)

    From SRM console, break if it's try to auto boot with Ctrl-C at post.
    then
    >>>show dev

    here you should see all devices including the ID of the cd-reader.
    Default is 004 for the cd-rom if it's not changed by someone.

    >>>boot dkXX400

+ Reply to Thread