SuSE 8.1 installation problems on XLT366 - Linux

This is a discussion on SuSE 8.1 installation problems on XLT366 - Linux ; I've managed to run the entire ftp installation. My SCSI drive has one VFAT partition for the AlphaBIOS stuff (linload and milo), a swap partition and a EXT3 partition for SuSE. But I'm unable to boot the installation, even though ...

  1. SuSE 8.1 installation problems on XLT366

    I've managed to run the entire ftp installation. My SCSI drive has one
    VFAT partition for the AlphaBIOS stuff (linload and milo), a swap
    partition and
    a EXT3 partition for SuSE. But I'm unable to boot the installation,
    even though I'm using the milo image I used when starting the
    installation. The error message ("unable to mount root") indicates
    that the lernel is unable to
    read the EXT3 file system. The command line is
    boot sda3:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3
    and was during installation
    boot sr0:/boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/fd0 initrd=/boot/initrd

    Clues, anyone?

  2. Re: SuSE 8.1 installation problems on XLT366

    You might try for root=/dev/sr0 in order to get the initial ramdisk loaded.
    I seem to have limitations as to the size of initial ramdisks when using
    milo, with the loader complaining about the kernel being overwritten
    when the total size of the combined image exceeds 4GB, but your mileage
    may vary.

    Dan O'Mara

    Georg Weiss wrote:

    >I've managed to run the entire ftp installation. My SCSI drive has one
    >VFAT partition for the AlphaBIOS stuff (linload and milo), a swap
    >partition and
    >a EXT3 partition for SuSE. But I'm unable to boot the installation,
    >even though I'm using the milo image I used when starting the
    >installation. The error message ("unable to mount root") indicates
    >that the lernel is unable to
    >read the EXT3 file system. The command line is
    >boot sda3:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3
    >and was during installation
    >boot sr0:/boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/fd0 initrd=/boot/initrd
    >
    >Clues, anyone?

  3. Re: SuSE 8.1 installation problems on XLT366

    Georg Weiss wrote:

    > I've managed to run the entire ftp installation. My SCSI drive has one
    > VFAT partition for the AlphaBIOS stuff (linload and milo), a swap
    > partition and a EXT3 partition for SuSE.

    You are more likely to get a solution for your problem if you post on the
    newsgroup:

    Actually, that is not a newsgroup, but a mailing-list. In order to post,
    you'll need to subscribe to it first. In order to read, you don't need to
    subscribe, though.

    Paulo Rocha

+ Reply to Thread