First steps with Red Hat 7.2 - Linux

This is a discussion on First steps with Red Hat 7.2 - Linux ; Hi all, Former VMS DECcie here. I just downloaded the 5 .iso CDs from HP (4 for the OS and 1 for the doc), then booted CD 1 in my PWS 600au, then installed all the stuff, and now I ...

  1. First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    Hi all,

    Former VMS DECcie here.

    I just downloaded the 5 .iso CDs from HP (4 for the OS and 1 for the
    doc), then booted CD 1 in my PWS 600au, then installed all the stuff,
    and now I have the GNOME interface in front of my eyes, a few hours later.

    Amazing.

    Your preferred choice as the GUI: GNOME or KDE, when coming from
    VMS/DECwindows and PC/Windaube land?

    Thanks,

    --
    D. aka _Leader

    Raven Shield server is: "GCP, neutralisez les hostiles !"
    HP Hyperthreading Pentium IV 2.2 GHz system ADSL 1024/256
    RvS demo 1.1 / Team Survival only / No Heartbeat sensors!
    http://www.ravenshield-gcp.org

  2. Re: First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    Didier Morandi writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Former VMS DECcie here.
    >
    > I just downloaded the 5 .iso CDs from HP (4 for the OS and 1 for the
    > doc), then booted CD 1 in my PWS 600au, then installed all the stuff,
    > and now I have the GNOME interface in front of my eyes, a few hours
    > later.
    >
    > Amazing.
    >
    > Your preferred choice as the GUI: GNOME or KDE, when coming from
    > VMS/DECwindows and PC/Windaube land?

    Try both, and a few others, and get your own opinion. Personally, I
    rather dislike the both kde and gnome. They are just bloat with no
    real value.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    Didier Morandi wrote:

    > Your preferred choice as the GUI: GNOME or KDE, when coming from
    > VMS/DECwindows and PC/Windaube land?
    >
    > Thanks

    Seems a bit like a flamefest starter

    try xfce, afterstep, windowmaker, ice-wm.
    Lighter, faster, better and I'd bet you would love'em better than
    KDE/GNOME

    --
    [ .O. | Micha³ 'Mikey' Szwaczko | GPG Key#:0x653CBD53 ]
    [ ..O | Developer/Troubleshooter | GNU Generation Now! ]

  4. Re: First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    Michal Szwaczko writes:

    > Didier Morandi wrote:
    >
    >> Your preferred choice as the GUI: GNOME or KDE, when coming from
    >> VMS/DECwindows and PC/Windaube land?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Seems a bit like a flamefest starter
    >
    > try xfce, afterstep, windowmaker, ice-wm.

    fvwm2, sawfish
    for the nostalgic: twm
    for the minimalists: ratpoison
    for the crazy: xwem (xemacs as window manager)

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  5. Re: First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    Didier Morandi wrote:

    > I just downloaded the 5 .iso CDs from HP (4 for the OS and 1 for the
    > doc), then booted CD 1 in my PWS 600au, then installed all the stuff,
    > and now I have the GNOME interface in front of my eyes, a few hours later.

    Maybe you should try SuSE 8.1 Alpha Edition. It has much more up to date
    software than RH 7.2. There are even RPMs for the latest KDE 3.2!
    See more details here:
    http://www.alphalinux.org/

    > Your preferred choice as the GUI: GNOME or KDE, when coming from
    > VMS/DECwindows and PC/Windaube land?

    "Bare-bones" window manager lovers are just dinossaurs :-)
    KDE and Gnome are the future (KDE is slightly better).

    Paulo Rocha

  6. Re: First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:28:05 +0100, Paulo Rocha wrote:

    > Didier Morandi wrote:
    >
    >> I just downloaded the 5 .iso CDs from HP (4 for the OS and 1 for the
    >> doc), then booted CD 1 in my PWS 600au, then installed all the stuff,
    >> and now I have the GNOME interface in front of my eyes, a few hours later.

    > Maybe you should try SuSE 8.1 Alpha Edition. It has much more up to date
    > software than RH 7.2. There are even RPMs for the latest KDE 3.2!
    > See more details here:
    > http://www.alphalinux.org/

    Didier,
    I agree that another distribution is in order for you. Fedora talks about
    resurrecting RH Alpha, but it's only talk thus far and RH Alpha has not
    been updated for well over a year(s?) so running server software may be
    crack-bait. I use Debian Linux. Installed over the 'net with a boot
    floppy. Updates easily. Works well as a server and the Compaq compiler
    installed easily (once I finally realized one must manually ftp into the
    compiler distribution site and poke around for the exact rpm version that
    matches the deb). Maybe Suse is nicer for a desktop and/or a first-timer.
    I dunno if the compiler install is any easier. If so go with that.

  7. Re: First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    Erick wrote:
    > and RH Alpha has not been updated for well over a year(s?)

    It seems that Erick lives in some interesting time warp as the
    latest update files at
    ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedH...es/rpms/alpha/
    recently had time stamps like 'May 13 18:02'. Time flies but at least
    for me not that fast as for him. :-) I agree that some updates could
    use a bit of work although that is not that difficult. Recompiling
    few SRPMS from Red Hat "AS" distribution, which are freely available
    on various mirrors, would plug remaining holes.

    Be aware that this particular ftp server is run on NT by some weird
    people and it "wobbles". That means that you look there one day and
    things are fairly recent. You peek the next day and the newest files in
    these updates are from 'Sep 29 2003' (which is still less than
    "year(s?)" away). The next day, or few days later, you can see recent
    files again and da capo al fine. How they achieve that "now-you-see-me,
    now-you-don't" I was never able to find out. I thought at some moment
    that this is maybe a bunch of out-of-sync servers hiding behind a common
    front end but this was not confirmed.

    Michal

  8. Re: First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:32:13 +0000, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

    > Erick wrote:
    >> and RH Alpha has not been updated for well over a year(s?)

    > It seems that Erick lives in some interesting time warp as the
    > latest update files at
    > ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedH...es/rpms/alpha/
    > recently had time stamps like 'May 13 18:02'. Time flies but at least
    > for me not that fast as for him. :-) I agree that some updates could
    > use a bit of work although that is not that difficult. Recompiling
    > few SRPMS from Red Hat "AS" distribution, which are freely available
    > on various mirrors, would plug remaining holes.

    What the hell is it with people on usenet being smartasses for no reason?

    > Be aware that this particular ftp server is run on NT by some weird
    > people and it "wobbles". That means that you look there one day and
    > things are fairly recent. You peek the next day and the newest files in
    > these updates are from 'Sep 29 2003' (which is still less than
    > "year(s?)" away). The next day, or few days later, you can see recent
    > files again and da capo al fine. How they achieve that "now-you-see-me,
    > now-you-don't" I was never able to find out. I thought at some moment
    > that this is maybe a bunch of out-of-sync servers hiding behind a common
    > front end but this was not confirmed.

    Great. Sounds like a good secure distro to me. Here's a sample timestamp:
    dev-3.3-4.alpha.rpm 813 KB 01/12/103 -35:40:44 AM

    I ran RH Alpha for a year and updating is a nightmare and, no, I didn't
    see any for a year. Maybe there are some know, but how can we tell?
    Remind me not to post to usenet again. Yeesh!

    > Michal

  9. Re: First steps with Red Hat 7.2

    Michal Jaegermann wrote:

    > How they achieve that "now-you-see-me,
    > now-you-don't" I was never able to find out.

    (set mode/noecho)
    take Bar
    Taken
    They use Windoze
    (set mode/echo)
    take Bar
    take Bar

    :-)

    D.

    PS: the one who reckognizes where the "take bar" stuff comes from wins a
    box of Swiss chocolates...

+ Reply to Thread