Is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake9.2? - Linux

This is a discussion on Is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake9.2? - Linux ; Hello Gurus, We have a server running Mandrake, and for those who are familiar w/ the distro, is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake 9.2 ? By this mean, is there a way to reinstall the core files (kernel) ...

  1. Is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake9.2?

    Hello Gurus,

    We have a server running Mandrake, and for those who are familiar w/ the
    distro, is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake 9.2 ? By this mean,
    is there a way to reinstall the core files (kernel) while retaining setting
    and important files located in such places as /usr/, /etc/, and a few
    personally made /raid/... dirs. I know the SuSE 9.0 distro offers this
    function, and its quite easy to use, but I'm not sure if Mandrake offers
    anything similar.
    Your input is warmly appreciated.

    Ryan

  2. Re: Is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake9.2?

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:29:05 GMT, Ryan@NIH wrote:

    > Hello Gurus,
    >
    > We have a server running Mandrake, and for those who are familiar w/ the
    > distro, is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake 9.2 ? By this mean,
    > is there a way to reinstall the core files (kernel) while retaining setting
    > and important files located in such places as /usr/, /etc/, and a few
    > personally made /raid/... dirs.

    If it was me:
    just kernel, you have to know the numbers and already have set up your
    update mirror.
    urpmi.update -a
    urpmi kernel-2.4.19.24mdk

    other option it to try booting cd and indicate upgrade

  3. Re: Is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake9.2?

    "Ryan@NIH" writes:

    ]Hello Gurus,

    ]We have a server running Mandrake, and for those who are familiar w/ the
    ]distro, is there a sensitive disk repair for Mandrake 9.2 ? By this mean,
    ]is there a way to reinstall the core files (kernel) while retaining setting
    ]and important files located in such places as /usr/, /etc/, and a few

    ?? Still is unclear what you mean by the term.
    If you are asking if it is possible to update the kernel without
    everything else, sure. Mandrake has issued new kernels for 9.2
    rpm -ivh name.of.the.kernel.rpm
    run lilo
    When you are sure it works, make it the default in lilo
    (default= line)

    ]personally made /raid/... dirs. I know the SuSE 9.0 distro offers this
    ]function, and its quite easy to use, but I'm not sure if Mandrake offers
    ]anything similar.
    ]Your input is warmly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread