No,the IDE Tape is not working! - Linux

This is a discussion on No,the IDE Tape is not working! - Linux ; My Alpha Station 400 4/233 does not want to know my Seagate Travan 4 IDE tape device. I compiled a new kernel ( 2.4.26 ) including tape support and IDE support. The tape is not showing up in SRM as ...

  1. No,the IDE Tape is not working!

    My Alpha Station 400 4/233 does not want to know my Seagate Travan 4 IDE
    tape device.

    I compiled a new kernel ( 2.4.26 ) including tape support and IDE support.

    The tape is not showing up in SRM as DQ0 ( as I have the tape set as master
    and is all alone on the onboard controller).

    I also have the latest firmware (7.2).
    The boot message from the IDE is:

    -----------------------------------
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    hda: Seagate STT8000A, ATAPI TAPE drive
    hda: IRQ probe failed (0xffffffffffffffbef8)

    And the boot process stop right here.

    Is there a way to get the tape working on my system?

    Conny

  2. Re: No,the IDE Tape is not working!

    "Conny" writes:

    > ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    > hda: Seagate STT8000A, ATAPI TAPE drive
    > hda: IRQ probe failed (0xffffffffffffffbef8)

    This sounds an awful lot like the error messages I get on my XL266.

    > And the boot process stop right here.

    That sounds a lot like the problems I have on my XL266...

    > Is there a way to get the tape working on my system?

    I'd assume the answer is "no".

    Compile all IDE-related kernel items as modules. Boot up, and try
    to load the modules. Does the machine still go into a complete hard
    freeze? Attach a hard drive instead of the tape drive. See if you
    can get that to work. Attach a CD-ROM perhaps. Ditto.

    My guess is that it won't work no matter what you do.

  3. Re: No,the IDE Tape is not working!

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:
    > "Conny" writes:
    >
    >> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    >> hda: Seagate STT8000A, ATAPI TAPE drive
    >> hda: IRQ probe failed (0xffffffffffffffbef8)

    This smells like a broken code which assumes that long and pointers
    have a 32-bit representation.

    > This sounds an awful lot like the error messages I get on my XL266.

    IIRC a code for ATAPI tape is big mess but it was recently cleaned
    up substantially by someone for 2.6 kernels. Check in archives
    of linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org list. For that list information:
    It is possible that changes can be backported if you do not want to
    switch to 2.6.

    Michal

  4. Re: No,the IDE Tape is not working!

    "Atro Tossavainen" skrev i
    meddelandet newsgz1xmk336b.fsf@kruuna.Helsinki.FI...
    > "Conny" writes:
    >
    > > ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with

    idebus=xx
    > > hda: Seagate STT8000A, ATAPI TAPE drive
    > > hda: IRQ probe failed (0xffffffffffffffbef8)

    > This sounds an awful lot like the error messages I get on my XL266.
    >
    > > And the boot process stop right here.

    > That sounds a lot like the problems I have on my XL266...
    >
    > > Is there a way to get the tape working on my system?

    > I'd assume the answer is "no".
    >
    > Compile all IDE-related kernel items as modules. Boot up, and try
    > to load the modules. Does the machine still go into a complete hard
    > freeze? Attach a hard drive instead of the tape drive. See if you
    > can get that to work. Attach a CD-ROM perhaps. Ditto.
    >
    > My guess is that it won't work no matter what you do.

    Ok I will try that some day, It must be the IDE controller on the alpha
    board, just the line:
    "ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
    idebus=xx"

    Looks suspicious.....
    I have the latest SRM firmware (7.2.1) but there are also a 7.2_PCI_firmware
    for my machine I didn't patch yet.
    I dont know if it have something to do with the IDE controller or not.

    Conny

  5. Re: No,the IDE Tape is not working!

    "Conny" skrev i meddelandet

    > "Atro Tossavainen" skrev

    > meddelandet newsgz1xmk336b.fsf@kruuna.Helsinki.FI...
    > > "Conny" writes:
    > >
    > > > ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with

    > idebus=xx
    > > > hda: Seagate STT8000A, ATAPI TAPE drive
    > > > hda: IRQ probe failed (0xffffffffffffffbef8)

    > > This sounds an awful lot like the error messages I get on my XL266.
    > >
    > > > And the boot process stop right here.

    > > That sounds a lot like the problems I have on my XL266...
    > >
    > > > Is there a way to get the tape working on my system?

    > > I'd assume the answer is "no".
    > >
    > > Compile all IDE-related kernel items as modules. Boot up, and try
    > > to load the modules. Does the machine still go into a complete hard
    > > freeze? Attach a hard drive instead of the tape drive. See if you
    > > can get that to work. Attach a CD-ROM perhaps. Ditto.
    > >
    > > My guess is that it won't work no matter what you do.
    > >

    > Ok I will try that some day, It must be the IDE controller on the alpha
    > board, just the line:
    > "ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
    > idebus=xx"
    >
    > Looks suspicious.....
    > I have the latest SRM firmware (7.2.1) but there are also a

    7.2_PCI_firmware
    > for my machine I didn't patch yet.
    > I dont know if it have something to do with the IDE controller or not.
    >
    > Conny

    Hmm the PCI v1.4 turned out to be a update utility.......

+ Reply to Thread