Controller RAID SCSI on Alpha linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Controller RAID SCSI on Alpha linux? - Linux ; Hi, you have information on support of these SCSI RAID hardware controllers under Linux on Alpha processor: - Compaq SmartArray 2/DH; - Ibm ServeRAID 3L; - HP NetRaid 3si. Thanks! Alessio -- Alessio Sias Sysadmin Comune di Sorso...

  1. Controller RAID SCSI on Alpha linux?

    --
    Alessio Sias
    Sysadmin Comune di Sorso

  2. Re: Controller RAID SCSI on Alpha linux?

    Alessio Sias writes:

    > you have information on support of these SCSI RAID hardware controllers
    > under Linux on Alpha processor:
    > - Compaq SmartArray 2/DH;
    > - Ibm ServeRAID 3L;
    > - HP NetRaid 3si.
    > Thanks!

    Why wouldn't any of them work just fine, if the Linux kernel contains
    support for them? (No, I haven't tried any of them.)

    Support for Compaq Smart* devices is directly under "Block devices"
    in the kernel configuration?

    < > Compaq SMART2 support
    < > Compaq Smart Array 5xxx support

    Support for IBM ServeRAID is in the SCSI support / SCSI low-level
    drivers section:

    < > IBM ServeRAID support

    See also

    The HP NetRAID 3si appears to be a relabeled AMI MegaRAID 438. These
    drivers are also in the SCSI low-level drivers section.

    < > AMI MegaRAID support
    < > AMI MegaRAID2 support

  3. Re: Controller RAID SCSI on Alpha linux?

    Il Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:28:29 +0300, Atro Tossavainen ha scritto:

    > Alessio Sias writes:
    >
    >> you have information on support of these SCSI RAID hardware controllers
    >> under Linux on Alpha processor:
    >> - Compaq SmartArray 2/DH;
    >> - Ibm ServeRAID 3L;
    >> - HP NetRaid 3si.
    >> Thanks!

    > Why wouldn't any of them work just fine, if the Linux kernel contains
    > support for them? (No, I haven't tried any of them.)

    Of course Linux kernel would work at best with both controller.
    Maybe Alessio wants to know if booting from SRM is possibile or not with
    one of the controller listed.

    I think it depends on SRM revision used by your alpha.
    Which alpha would you like to use it on?
    Is it your PWS?

    Ciao!
    gl

  4. Re: Controller RAID SCSI on Alpha linux?

    gl wrote:

    > Of course Linux kernel would work at best with both controller.
    > Maybe Alessio wants to know if booting from SRM is possibile or not with
    > one of the controller listed.

    Hi Gianluca,
    for configuring one reliable web/mailserver I have solved in this way:
    for booting process i have installed a 4,5 GB SCSI hard disk on my Qlogic
    ISP1040 for mounting all directories except /data (it contains /var/www
    and /home directory).
    This directory is mounted on 2 x RAID1 9,1GB SCSI on Compaq SmartArray 2/DH
    controller.
    At Qlogic controller I have attached one 4GB DAT streamer for backups.
    This configuration can be improved?

    > I think it depends on SRM revision used by your alpha.

    The SRM is updated at last version.

    > Which alpha would you like to use it on?
    > Is it your PWS?

    Sure, for my Digital Personal Workstation 500a (1 GB RAM and Matrox
    Millennium PCI video card).

    > Ciao!
    > gl

    Ciao!