Re: IDE Tape working? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: IDE Tape working? - Linux ; "Conny" wrote in message news:gIhac.88014$dP1.258254@newsc.telia.net... > I have a Alpha Station 400 4/233 running Debian . > > Is it possible to get a tape device ( Seagate Travan 4 IDE ) to work from > the onboard IDE interface? ...

  1. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "Conny" wrote in message
    > I have a Alpha Station 400 4/233 running Debian .
    >
    > Is it possible to get a tape device ( Seagate Travan 4 IDE ) to work from
    > the onboard IDE interface?
    >
    > Have not tried it yet, and found no info from google.
    >
    > Conny

    Conny,

    To coin the term "Been there, done that".

    I recall that most of these tape drives have a IDE to Floppy converter,
    especially that silly Sony Superstation. Your best documentation is in the
    source code (lets see you do that with Windows!), under drivers/ide-tape.c .
    I tried to see if the IDE Sony Superstation would work, but after talking
    to a few people who developed the code, I found it would never work.

    In the code, there is talk about a "Seagate STT3401A Travan". If
    that's your drive, it will work.

    Carl
    http://www.carlc.com/

  2. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "CarlC Internet Services" skrev i meddelandet
    > "Conny" wrote in message
    > > I have a Alpha Station 400 4/233 running Debian .
    > >
    > > Is it possible to get a tape device ( Seagate Travan 4 IDE ) to work

    from
    > > the onboard IDE interface?
    > >
    > > Have not tried it yet, and found no info from google.
    > >
    > > Conny

    > Conny,
    >
    > To coin the term "Been there, done that".
    >
    > I recall that most of these tape drives have a IDE to Floppy

    converter,
    > especially that silly Sony Superstation. Your best documentation is in the
    > source code (lets see you do that with Windows!), under drivers/ide-tape.c

    ..
    > I tried to see if the IDE Sony Superstation would work, but after talking
    > to a few people who developed the code, I found it would never work.
    >
    > In the code, there is talk about a "Seagate STT3401A Travan". If
    > that's your drive, it will work.
    >
    > Carl
    > http://www.carlc.com/

    I know Debian support it, but will the IDE interface on the Alpha Station
    400 4/233 support it?

  3. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "Conny" wrote in message

    > I know Debian support it, but will the IDE interface on the Alpha Station
    > 400 4/233 support it?

    It should. It's a plan ol IDE interface .

    Carl
    ====================
    http://www.carlc.com/

    "Price, Performance, Quality. Choose any two you like."

  4. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "CarlC Internet Services" skrev i meddelandet
    newsNzcc.11$fE1.19863@news.uswest.net...

    > "Conny" wrote in message
    >
    > > I know Debian support it, but will the IDE interface on the Alpha

    Station
    > > 400 4/233 support it?

    > It should. It's a plan ol IDE interface .
    >
    > Carl

    Ok, I have the tape drive mounted, but have not started it yet :-)

  5. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "CarlC Internet Services" writes:

    >> I know Debian support it, but will the IDE interface on the Alpha Station
    >> 400 4/233 support it?

    > It should. It's a plan ol IDE interface .

    Hope the hardware in question is better than in the XL266 "workstation"

    Whatever you put on the IDE bus on XL266 causes the computer to lock up
    for good (if you try to activate the drivers, that is).

    At least on my XL266.

  6. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "Atro Tossavainen" skrev i
    meddelandet newsgzfzbgci79.fsf@kruuna.Helsinki.FI...
    > "CarlC Internet Services" writes:
    >
    > >> I know Debian support it, but will the IDE interface on the Alpha

    Station
    > >> 400 4/233 support it?

    > > It should. It's a plan ol IDE interface .

    > Hope the hardware in question is better than in the XL266 "workstation"
    >
    > Whatever you put on the IDE bus on XL266 causes the computer to lock up
    > for good (if you try to activate the drivers, that is).
    >
    > At least on my XL266.
    >
    > --

    Hmm, sounds scary,but can it really happen?
    Is it a hardware lockup or can it be fixed by a clean install?

  7. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "Atro Tossavainen" skrev i
    meddelandet newsgzfzbgci79.fsf@kruuna.Helsinki.FI...
    > "CarlC Internet Services" writes:
    >
    > >> I know Debian support it, but will the IDE interface on the Alpha

    Station
    > >> 400 4/233 support it?

    > > It should. It's a plan ol IDE interface .

    > Hope the hardware in question is better than in the XL266 "workstation"
    >
    > Whatever you put on the IDE bus on XL266 causes the computer to lock up
    > for good (if you try to activate the drivers, that is).
    >
    > At least on my XL266.
    >
    > --

    I got a lock in the startup of the Alpha 400 4/233
    looks like this:

    hda: Seagate STT8000A, ATAPI TAPE drive
    hda: IRQ probe failed (0)
    hdb: IRQ probe failed (0)
    hdb: IRQ probe failed (0)

    Her it locks up, nothing happens...

    And I only have the Seagate Tape drive connected to the IDE interface.

    Does it make any difference not to have it Master or not?
    I now have it set to master.

  8. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "Conny" writes:

    > > Whatever you put on the IDE bus on XL266 causes the computer to lock up
    > > for good (if you try to activate the drivers, that is).

    > Hmm, sounds scary,but can it really happen?

    Yes, it can. It happens on my Alpha XL266 100% of the time.

    > Is it a hardware lockup or can it be fixed by a clean install?

    It is a hardware lockup that occurs as soon as the kernel IDE modules
    are loaded. You can't fix kernel problems by reinstalling the user-
    space parts of the OS. I always compile my own kernels and I do know
    how to do it. Haven't tried a recent kernel, though (last time I
    tried this the 2.4 kernel was at .19).

  9. Re: IDE Tape working?

    "Atro Tossavainen" skrev i
    meddelandet newsgzsmfb3fh8.fsf@kruuna.Helsinki.FI...
    > "Conny" writes:
    >
    > > > Whatever you put on the IDE bus on XL266 causes the computer to lock

    up
    > > > for good (if you try to activate the drivers, that is).

    > > Hmm, sounds scary,but can it really happen?

    > Yes, it can. It happens on my Alpha XL266 100% of the time.
    >
    > > Is it a hardware lockup or can it be fixed by a clean install?

    > It is a hardware lockup that occurs as soon as the kernel IDE modules
    > are loaded. You can't fix kernel problems by reinstalling the user-
    > space parts of the OS. I always compile my own kernels and I do know
    > how to do it. Haven't tried a recent kernel, though (last time I
    > tried this the 2.4 kernel was at .19).
    >
    > --

    must compile a new one.

    Thanks