Elementary Question - Linux

This is a discussion on Elementary Question - Linux ; I have recently become the owner of an AlphaServer 1000A 5/400. It still has OPENVMS on it. I want to wipe it out and install Linux. I've been in this business 20 years and I can't get this box to ...

  1. Elementary Question

    I have recently become the owner of an AlphaServer 1000A 5/400. It still has
    OPENVMS on it. I want to wipe it out and install Linux. I've been in this
    business 20 years and I can't get this box to boot from the floppy or the
    CD-ROM. Is there a trick like a function key or something that will allow it
    to boot from a floppy or CD-ROM? Is there a system CD-ROM or floppy which
    would make my life a whole lot easier?

    Thanks,

    Bill Ebben
    Cincinnati, OH

  2. Re: Elementary Question

    "Bill Ebben" writes:

    > I have recently become the owner of an AlphaServer 1000A 5/400. It still has
    > OPENVMS on it. I want to wipe it out and install Linux. I've been in this
    > business 20 years and I can't get this box to boot from the floppy or the
    > CD-ROM. Is there a trick like a function key or something that will allow it
    > to boot from a floppy or CD-ROM?

    You need to get into the SRM console. Do this by pressing ctrl-c at
    the right instant just before it starts booting from disk. Pressing
    ctrl-c repeatedly from early in the startup usually gets it right.

    The SRM console is identified by a ">>" prompt on a blue screen. Here
    you can run various commands. The command "man" lists the available
    commands. To get help on a specific command, use "man foo", just like
    Unix.

    Use the command "show dev" to list all disks and CDROMs SRM knows
    about. Pick one, and use the "boot dev" command to boot from it.
    Replace "dev" with the name of the device. The CDROM is often called
    dka4 or dka400, which also happen to be equivalent.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Elementary Question

    > You need to get into the SRM console. Do this by pressing ctrl-c at
    > the right instant just before it starts booting from disk. Pressing
    > ctrl-c repeatedly from early in the startup usually gets it right.
    >
    > The SRM console is identified by a ">>" prompt on a blue screen. Here
    > you can run various commands. The command "man" lists the available
    > commands. To get help on a specific command, use "man foo", just like
    > Unix.

    Or, you can find the button on the front panel (if this is similar to
    a 1000A/233) that is like a V with U under it. Press briefly, and
    wait about 10s, you should see the >> prompt.

    If you are familiar with Alphas and VAXes, you know this is a simple
    PROM monitor that allows booting from disk or network.

    If you are new to Alphas, you need to spend some time with Mr Google.
    Alphalinux.org and hp.com have Alpha information. There are RH7.2 CD
    images, gentoo.org images, Debian images and others.

    John

  4. Re: Elementary Question

    John wrote:

    > > You need to get into the SRM console. Do this by pressing ctrl-c at
    > > the right instant just before it starts booting from disk. Pressing
    > > ctrl-c repeatedly from early in the startup usually gets it right.
    > >
    > > The SRM console is identified by a ">>" prompt on a blue screen. Here
    > > you can run various commands. The command "man" lists the available
    > > commands. To get help on a specific command, use "man foo", just like
    > > Unix.
    > >

    > Or, you can find the button on the front panel (if this is similar to
    > a 1000A/233) that is like a V with U under it. Press briefly, and
    > wait about 10s, you should see the >> prompt.
    >
    > If you are familiar with Alphas and VAXes, you know this is a simple
    > PROM monitor that allows booting from disk or network.
    >
    > If you are new to Alphas, you need to spend some time with Mr Google.
    > Alphalinux.org and hp.com have Alpha information. There are RH7.2 CD
    > images, gentoo.org images, Debian images and others.

    Actually, it's CTRL+P to halt the CPU (returns you to the SRM prompt),
    or power up the machine with the HALT button in. When it starts, it will
    complain that the halt button is in and booting is not possible. Then,
    release the halt button and begin to explore SRM.

    >>> show *

    ....will display all of the console environment variables. Look for
    AUTO_ACTION - it probably says BOOT.

    >>> show auto*

    >>> set auto_action halt

    ....and it will come up to the console prompt on power up, regardless of
    the position of the HALT button.

    You may want to consider looking at OpenVMS before you trash it. If hp
    ever gets its head out of its ass about Itanic, you'll probably see a
    rennaissance of it when it finally goes to x86-64. People are getting
    pretty sick of the virus-of-the-day club.

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

  5. Re: Elementary Question

    To the list:

    I'll second that one. It's worthwhile just putting in a new hard
    drive and keeping your VMS installation intact. My prediction is that
    VMS techs will be able to name their salary in another two years.

    good luck

    jn

    "David J. Dachtera" wrote in message news:<4047EDF2.E533E2A2@NeOaSrPtAhMlNiOnWk.net>...

    > You may want to consider looking at OpenVMS before you trash it. If hp
    > ever gets its head out of its ass about Itanic, you'll probably see a
    > rennaissance of it when it finally goes to x86-64. People are getting
    > pretty sick of the virus-of-the-day club.

+ Reply to Thread