Alphaserver 1000A 5/500 CPU jumper settings? - Linux

This is a discussion on Alphaserver 1000A 5/500 CPU jumper settings? - Linux ; I just got an Alphaserver 1000A 5/500 CPU board off eBay to upgrade my 5/333. Unfortunately, it came with no jumpers at all installed on the J3 block. When I try to run it as is, I get a 1-3-3 ...

  1. Alphaserver 1000A 5/500 CPU jumper settings?

    I just got an Alphaserver 1000A 5/500 CPU board off eBay to upgrade my
    5/333. Unfortunately, it came with no jumpers at all installed on the J3
    block. When I try to run it as is, I get a 1-3-3 beep code at startup. I
    know there's good memory in the system (896 MB of it, to be exact) because
    the 5/333 board runs fine. I suspect there need to be jumpers on J3, but
    have no idea how to set them. Googling reveals lots of info on the 1000A
    4/2xx, but not the 5/xxx systems.

    Where do I find out hoe the jumpers should be set?

  2. Re: Alphaserver 1000A 5/500 CPU jumper settings?

    The docs are still here

    ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/systems/

    JJ

    "Jay Maynard" wrote in message
    news:slrnc3q1rg.1fh.jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx. ..
    > I just got an Alphaserver 1000A 5/500 CPU board off eBay to upgrade my
    > 5/333. Unfortunately, it came with no jumpers at all installed on the J3
    > block. When I try to run it as is, I get a 1-3-3 beep code at startup. I
    > know there's good memory in the system (896 MB of it, to be exact) because
    > the 5/333 board runs fine. I suspect there need to be jumpers on J3, but
    > have no idea how to set them. Googling reveals lots of info on the 1000A
    > 4/2xx, but not the 5/xxx systems.
    >
    > Where do I find out hoe the jumpers should be set?

  3. Re: Alphaserver 1000A 5/500 CPU jumper settings?

    (Please don't top-post.)

    On 2004-02-28, JohnJ wrote:
    > "Jay Maynard" wrote in message
    > news:slrnc3q1rg.1fh.jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx. ..
    >> Where do I find out hoe the jumpers should be set?

    > The docs are still here
    > ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/systems/

    Those docs are even older than the ones I was able to find.

    As it happens, the 5/500 does not require any jumpers on J3 at all. I was
    able to get it running by using a pencil eraser to clean the CPU board's
    edge contacts.

+ Reply to Thread