SCSI wide and fast ethernet for Jensen - Linux

This is a discussion on SCSI wide and fast ethernet for Jensen - Linux ; I have a Jensen system that I would like to use as a file server. Are there any EISA SCSI wide cards and EISA fast ethernet cards with Linux support for this system? I'll boot it from the SCSI narrow ...

  1. SCSI wide and fast ethernet for Jensen

    I have a Jensen system that I would like to use as a file server.

    Are there any EISA SCSI wide cards and EISA fast ethernet cards with
    Linux support for this system? I'll boot it from the SCSI narrow
    controller, so the SCSI wide and fast ethernet cards don't need to be
    bootable.

    Also, where can I get the ECU utility for the system, and the config
    file for the DEC SAS FDDI card?

    Thanks
    Robert

  2. Re: SCSI wide and fast ethernet for Jensen

    There weren't very many EISA fast Ethernet cards ever made. 3COM made one,
    3C595, I think. Also, 3COM's 3C515 is one of the few ISA 10/100 cards. Given
    the long-time popularity of 3COM, Linux drivers should be kicking around.

    I am even more hard pressed to name an EISA wide SCSI card. I think that
    BusLogic/BusTek/Mylex made them, but I do not know for sure. I'm almost dead
    certain Adaptec never did any more EISA beyond the 1740 and 2740.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 17 Feb 2004 14:48:16 -0800, robert_dirosario@yahoo.com (Robert DiRosario)
    wrote:

    >I have a Jensen system that I would like to use as a file server.
    >
    >Are there any EISA SCSI wide cards and EISA fast ethernet cards with
    >Linux support for this system? I'll boot it from the SCSI narrow
    >controller, so the SCSI wide and fast ethernet cards don't need to be
    >bootable.
    >
    >Also, where can I get the ECU utility for the system, and the config
    >file for the DEC SAS FDDI card?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Robert

  3. Re: SCSI wide and fast ethernet for Jensen

    Intel made an EISA fast ethernet card called etherpro100a. There is no
    driver for this card under linux, but there is under Novell.
    The 3COM cards are the best choise here, as the Linix support is good and
    the cards in good supply second hand and on ebay.
    Thanks.
    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    <4032b80d.1503107@news.charter.net>...
    >There weren't very many EISA fast Ethernet cards ever made. 3COM made one,
    >3C595, I think. Also, 3COM's 3C515 is one of the few ISA 10/100 cards.

    Given
    >the long-time popularity of 3COM, Linux drivers should be kicking around.
    >
    >I am even more hard pressed to name an EISA wide SCSI card. I think that
    >BusLogic/BusTek/Mylex made them, but I do not know for sure. I'm almost

    dead
    >certain Adaptec never did any more EISA beyond the 1740 and 2740.
    >
    >... Ben Myers
    >
    >On 17 Feb 2004 14:48:16 -0800, robert_dirosario@yahoo.com (Robert

    DiRosario)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Jensen system that I would like to use as a file server.
    >>
    >>Are there any EISA SCSI wide cards and EISA fast ethernet cards with
    >>Linux support for this system? I'll boot it from the SCSI narrow
    >>controller, so the SCSI wide and fast ethernet cards don't need to be
    >>bootable.
    >>
    >>Also, where can I get the ECU utility for the system, and the config
    >>file for the DEC SAS FDDI card?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Robert

  4. Re: SCSI wide and fast ethernet for Jensen

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > There weren't very many EISA fast Ethernet cards ever made. 3COM made one,
    > 3C595, I think. Also, 3COM's 3C515 is one of the few ISA 10/100 cards. Given
    > the long-time popularity of 3COM, Linux drivers should be kicking around.

    The 3Com 3C597 is what you want. They also made a 3C579 for EISA bus
    (just to confuse matters), but it was a slower card.

+ Reply to Thread