Need help w/ RH 7.2 install - Linux

This is a discussion on Need help w/ RH 7.2 install - Linux ; Hi guys, I am trying to install Red Hat 7.2 on my UP1000 700. I have tried the string: apb> bootl up1000.pal vmlinux.gz root=/dev/hdc It loads the pal code and loads the kernel into memory, but all I get is ...

  1. Need help w/ RH 7.2 install

    Hi guys,

    I am trying to install Red Hat 7.2 on my UP1000 700.

    I have tried the string:

    apb> bootl up1000.pal vmlinux.gz root=/dev/hdc

    It loads the pal code and loads the kernel into memory, but all I get
    is a blank black screen with a blinking cursor at the top. I would
    also like to know how I can verify what my CDROM drive is called. Is
    there a trick to determining whether it is /dev/hdc or something else?
    (btw it's a sony atapi drive).

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  2. Re: Need help w/ RH 7.2 install

    In article , \
    Michael Oswald wrote:

    > I am trying to install Red Hat 7.2 on my UP1000 700.
    >
    > I have tried the string:
    >
    > apb> bootl up1000.pal vmlinux.gz root=/dev/hdc
    >

    > It loads the pal code and loads the kernel into memory, but all I get
    > is a blank black screen with a blinking cursor at the top. I would
    > also like to know how I can verify what my CDROM drive is called. Is
    > there a trick to determining whether it is /dev/hdc or something else?
    > (btw it's a sony atapi drive).

    .... until someone who knows the answer responds ...

    What firmware and bootloader are you using? Does the apb>
    prompt mean you're running something other than SRM? It
    would seem likely, given the command syntax you show.

    Generally, SRM firmware is recommended when possible.
    However, finding files still on the web for API products
    might be a little difficult.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net