Building Alpha Kernels - Linux

This is a discussion on Building Alpha Kernels - Linux ; Hey, I've posted here a while back about building kernels for my alpha, but still haven't had any luck. So far to date, they only kernel that I've gotten to boot are the stock RH and stock Debian kernels. I've ...

  1. Building Alpha Kernels

    Hey,
    I've posted here a while back about building kernels for my alpha, but
    still haven't had any luck. So far to date, they only kernel that I've
    gotten to boot are the stock RH and stock Debian kernels. I've got an SX164
    with the SRM console and aboot. In the kernel config, I've tried choosing
    generic, SX164 and EB164. I've tried choosing the SRM options, as well as
    not including them. I've tried doing make boot and just plain old make. I
    end up with vmlinuz.gz in arch/alpha/boot either way. So I copy that to
    /boot, symlink it to /, update aboot.conf and reboot. Aboot sees the new
    image, but when I tell it to boot, all I get is complete nothingness. When
    I boot a stock debian kernel, it says:

    segment 0, 2898240 bytes at 0xfffffe0000310000
    zero-filling 241848 bytes at 0xfffffe00005d3990
    starting kernel vmlinuz with arguments ro root=/dev/hda4

    when I boot the images that I build, it says:
    or (but not both)
    segment 0, 2898240 bytes at 0xfffffe0000310000
    zero-filling 241848 bytes at 0xfffffe00005d3990
    starting kernel vmlinuz with arguments ro root=/dev/hda4

    I've tried using compressed images, and uncompressed images. No luck either
    way. Can anyone think of or see anything that I'm missing here? I've sent
    an email to Herbert Xu at debian to see what he uses to build the images.
    Hopefully I'll get some help from him, or you guys.

    Thanks,

    Torin

  2. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    T. Ford wrote:

    > Hey,
    > I've posted here a while back about building kernels for my alpha, but
    > still haven't had any luck. So far to date, they only kernel that I've
    > gotten to boot are the stock RH and stock Debian kernels. I've got an
    > SX164
    > with the SRM console and aboot. In the kernel config, I've tried choosing
    > generic, SX164 and EB164. I've tried choosing the SRM options, as well as
    > not including them. I've tried doing make boot and just plain old make.
    > end up with vmlinuz.gz in arch/alpha/boot either way. So I copy that to
    > /boot, symlink it to /, update aboot.conf and reboot. Aboot sees the new
    > image, but when I tell it to boot, all I get is complete nothingness.
    > When I boot a stock debian kernel, it says:

    > segment 0, 2898240 bytes at 0xfffffe0000310000
    > zero-filling 241848 bytes at 0xfffffe00005d3990
    > starting kernel vmlinuz with arguments ro root=/dev/hda4
    >

    > when I boot the images that I build, it says:
    > or (but not both)
    > segment 0, 2898240 bytes at 0xfffffe0000310000
    > zero-filling 241848 bytes at 0xfffffe00005d3990
    > starting kernel vmlinuz with arguments ro root=/dev/hda4
    >

    > I've tried using compressed images, and uncompressed images. No luck
    > either
    > way. Can anyone think of or see anything that I'm missing here? I've
    > sent an email to Herbert Xu at debian to see what he uses to build the
    > images. Hopefully I'll get some help from him, or you guys.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Torin

    I finally got a kernel to boot. WOOHOO. Now I need to figure out how to
    get aboot to "find" the initrd image. Anyone have experience with this?
    The man page shows 1 example where they append initrd=/. I've tried
    this and aboot says file not found. I've tried initrd=1/, same
    thing. I've tried initrd=, same thing.

    Torin

  3. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    In article , T. Ford wrote:

    > I finally got a kernel to boot. WOOHOO. Now I need to figure out how to
    > get aboot to "find" the initrd image. Anyone have experience with this?
    > The man page shows 1 example where they append initrd=/. I've tried
    > this and aboot says file not found. I've tried initrd=1/, same
    > thing. I've tried initrd=, same thing.

    Did you use the 'make install' command, or did you manually
    copy the kernel into /boot? I had better luck with 'make
    install' when I compiled kernels. If you do an 'ls -alt
    /boot', you should see the kernel, the initrd, and a few
    other files with very similar timestamps.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  4. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    T. Ford wrote:

    > WOOHOO. Now I need to figure out how to
    > get aboot to "find" the initrd image. Anyone have experience with this?

    Yeap! Mostly everybody who used initrd at least once while booting.
    Do you have initrd for your kernel? You likely have around a script
    'mkinitrd' which will construct one for you.

    > The man page shows 1 example where they append initrd=/.

    Path specifications for aboot are __relative to a file system from
    which you are booting__. This should be obvious as there is no
    full file tree yet before anything got mounted. It is actually
    a good idea NOT to boot from / for various reasons. See also
    'man abootconf'.

    > I've tried
    > this and aboot says file not found.

    If you will boot with '-fl i' then you will get into an interactive
    mode and then you use few commands - among them something which will
    list what aboot is able to see.

    > I've tried initrd=1/, same
    > thing. I've tried initrd=, same thing.

    You are doing something wrong but it is hard to guess what if you
    are not telling what you are geting instead of "it does not work".
    Are you trying to boot from "ext3, sparse superblocks" file system
    by any chance?

    Michal

  5. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    "Michal Jaegermann" wrote in message
    > T. Ford wrote:
    > >
    > > WOOHOO. Now I need to figure out how to
    > > get aboot to "find" the initrd image. Anyone have experience with this?

    > Yeap! Mostly everybody who used initrd at least once while booting.
    > Do you have initrd for your kernel? You likely have around a script
    > 'mkinitrd' which will construct one for you.

    Yep, got mkinitrd, but don't like the images it makes. I prefer to make my
    own (very familar with making them on x86). I don't have a problem actually
    making them, its just getting aboot to see it.

    > > The man page shows 1 example where they append initrd=/.

    > Path specifications for aboot are __relative to a file system from
    > which you are booting__. This should be obvious as there is no
    > full file tree yet before anything got mounted. It is actually
    > a good idea NOT to boot from / for various reasons. See also
    > 'man abootconf'.

    Read it. Read all related man pages.

    > > I've tried
    > > this and aboot says file not found.

    > If you will boot with '-fl i' then you will get into an interactive
    > mode and then you use few commands - among them something which will
    > list what aboot is able to see.

    I actually always boot with -fl i. Using the dir command, I can see the
    initrd as well as everything else in /.

    > > I've tried initrd=1/, same
    > > thing. I've tried initrd=, same thing.

    > You are doing something wrong but it is hard to guess what if you
    > are not telling what you are geting instead of "it does not work".
    > Are you trying to boot from "ext3, sparse superblocks" file system
    > by any chance?
    >
    > Michal

    Nope, / and /boot are ext2. I ended up just compiling IDE support in so
    that it wouild find my drives.

    Torin

  6. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    T. Ford wrote:

    > I actually always boot with -fl i. Using the dir command, I can see the
    > initrd as well as everything else in /.

    So you are telling us that this is "now I see, now I don't"?
    Specifics would be helpful.

    > Nope, / and /boot are ext2. I ended up just compiling IDE support in so
    > that it wouild find my drives.

    In such case why do not you need initrd at all? If I understand
    correctly there are no drivers which you require to mount / and that is
    the only real reason for initrd. All other stuff, if needed/desired,
    can be loaded later. It is still unclear from the above if / and /boot
    are two separate file systems and if they are then from which you are
    booting and if that happens to be /boot then what for you were making
    copies of your boot stuff in /? The later is not required in any case,
    as you can just load files located in /boot, but it is harmless (apart
    of eating a bit of a disk space).

    It is not impossible that I got really confused by what you are saying
    here.

    Michal

  7. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    > So you are telling us that this is "now I see, now I don't"?
    > Specifics would be helpful.

    No. Jump to the bottom for more data.

    > > Nope, / and /boot are ext2. I ended up just compiling IDE support in so
    > > that it wouild find my drives.

    > In such case why do not you need initrd at all? If I understand
    > correctly there are no drivers which you require to mount / and that is
    > the only real reason for initrd. All other stuff, if needed/desired,
    > can be loaded later. It is still unclear from the above if / and /boot
    > are two separate file systems and if they are then from which you are
    > booting and if that happens to be /boot then what for you were making
    > copies of your boot stuff in /? The later is not required in any case,
    > as you can just load files located in /boot, but it is harmless (apart
    > of eating a bit of a disk space).
    >
    > It is not impossible that I got really confused by what you are saying
    > here.

    The setup is 1 partition for swap, 1 partition for /, and 1 partition for
    /boot, and booting with aboot. Once in aboot, you can run dir and it will
    list what is in / rather than what is in /boot. In /, I have symlinks for
    my kernel images to the actual files in /boot. The same applies for the
    initrd images. So, using the dir command, I can see the things that I
    should be able to see. But no matter what syntax I attempt to use to tell
    aboot where the initrd image is, fails. It must be a case of:

    a - I'm using the wrong syntax
    b - My initrd image is in the wrong place
    c - aboot is messed up
    d - something else

    The reason for wanting the initrd is exactly for the reason(s) you stated -
    wanting drivers that can load. I got around it by compiling my particular
    drivers in rather than as modules. In this case, the drivers are the IDE
    modules (2.6.2).

    Thanks,

    Torin

  8. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    T. Ford wrote:

    > The setup is 1 partition for swap, 1 partition for /, and 1 partition for
    > /boot, and booting with aboot. Once in aboot, you can run dir and it will
    > list what is in / rather than what is in /boot.

    Which simply means that aboot is directed to use a "wrong" partition.
    This can be changed with a help of 'abootconf' run (more convenient
    and a reason I suggested reading its manpage) or you can give
    partitions explicitely in a boot command.

    > In /, I have symlinks for
    > my kernel images to the actual files in /boot.

    ??? In a time when you are trying to boot, apparently from /, this other
    partition is not mounted - obviously enough - so these links point
    nowhere. You need _data_. On the top of it, IIRC but I may be
    mistaken, aboot does not handle symlinks. It has coded in a _very
    simple_ file system reader. Just enough to grab something out of these
    few file systems it can handle. This is a boot loader and the simpler
    the better.

    Throw away these symlinks and boot from your /boot partition. Because
    this is a separate partition your files will be named something like
    "/vmlinuz-...." or "3/vmlinuz-...." if an explicit partition
    specifications are used. The same goes for initrd.

    > The same applies for the
    > initrd images.

    See above.

    > a - I'm using the wrong syntax

    Possibly. You never showed us what you are really using. But see
    'man aboot.conf' and also http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/srm.html

    > b - My initrd image is in the wrong place

    Not really. You may point your aboot into a wrong place but this
    is not exactly the same thing.

    > c - aboot is messed up

    Not likely as it is used quite widely. :-)

    > d - something else

    Sure!

    > The reason for wanting the initrd is exactly for the reason(s) you stated -
    > wanting drivers that can load. I got around it by compiling my particular
    > drivers in rather than as modules. In this case, the drivers are the IDE
    > modules (2.6.2).

    AFAIK IDE drivers as modules are still in a higly experimental stage.
    Still you wrote something what I understood that ALL your drivers
    required for mounting / are built-in in your kernel. Hence you may
    get away with no initrd at all.

    Michal

  9. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    Michal Jaegermann writes:

    > nowhere. You need _data_. On the top of it, IIRC but I may be
    > mistaken, aboot does not handle symlinks. It has coded in a _very

    aboot does handle symlinks, at least the later versions.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  10. Re: Building Alpha Kernels

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > Michal Jaegermann writes:
    >
    >> nowhere. You need _data_. On the top of it, IIRC but I may be
    >> mistaken, aboot does not handle symlinks. It has coded in a _very

    > aboot does handle symlinks, at least the later versions.

    I stand corrected. Still a symlink leading to another partition, which
    will be mounted and available only after you booted, does not sound like
    an overly useful thing at this stage of the game. :-)

    Michal

+ Reply to Thread