Booting Gentoo on Takara - Linux

This is a discussion on Booting Gentoo on Takara - Linux ; I'm trying to get Gentoo running on a Takara (PICMG 21164/500, sold by DMCC and, later, Force Computers). The Gentoo LiveCD refuses to boot on the machine, complaining about being unable to handle a kernel paging request. The Debian install ...

  1. Booting Gentoo on Takara

    I'm trying to get Gentoo running on a Takara (PICMG 21164/500, sold by DMCC
    and, later, Force Computers). The Gentoo LiveCD refuses to boot on the
    machine, complaining about being unable to handle a kernel paging request.
    The Debian install CD will boot and run, but can't be used to install Gentoo
    (I've tried it, and ran into an insurmountable problem). I really don't want
    to download 7 .ISO files for a system I'm only going to install long enough
    to ovewrite, but if there's no other choice, I'll do it.

    I've seen one other report of the kernel paging error on the net (a search
    of this newsgroup on Google Groups), but the only resolution the guy posted
    was that he got Debian installed. Anyone know what it takes to make the
    kernel work on a Takara?

  2. Re: Booting Gentoo on Takara

    jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx (Jay Maynard) writes:

    > I'm trying to get Gentoo running on a Takara (PICMG 21164/500, sold by DMCC
    > and, later, Force Computers). The Gentoo LiveCD refuses to boot on the
    > machine, complaining about being unable to handle a kernel paging request.
    > The Debian install CD will boot and run, but can't be used to install Gentoo
    > (I've tried it, and ran into an insurmountable problem). I really don't want
    > to download 7 .ISO files for a system I'm only going to install long enough
    > to ovewrite, but if there's no other choice, I'll do it.
    >
    > I've seen one other report of the kernel paging error on the net (a search
    > of this newsgroup on Google Groups), but the only resolution the guy posted
    > was that he got Debian installed. Anyone know what it takes to make the
    > kernel work on a Takara?

    You can try the boot CD from SuSE 8.1. The iso is about 21M big and uses
    2.4.19 kernel with lots of modules available.

    Regards,
    P.

    --
    I had spent 15 years writing those books, but if they were going to look
    awful I didn't want to write any more. How could I be proud of such

  3. Re: Booting Gentoo on Takara

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:15:53 +0100, Plamen Tanovski wrote:
    >jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx (Jay Maynard) writes:
    >> I've seen one other report of the kernel paging error on the net (a search
    >> of this newsgroup on Google Groups), but the only resolution the guy posted
    >> was that he got Debian installed. Anyone know what it takes to make the
    >> kernel work on a Takara?

    >You can try the boot CD from SuSE 8.1. The iso is about 21M big and uses
    >2.4.19 kernel with lots of modules available.

    That didn't work. I got the same kernel paging error.

    I installed Debian on the box, and have installed their 2.4.18 and 2.4.24
    kernels - and both had the same paging error. I'm beginning to think the 2.4
    kernels are broken on Takara. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that
    might explain what's going on.

    Before I give up entirely, though, I plan to install the kernel sources and
    build one, just to see iere's a config option that needs to be specified.
    I'm not real hopeful, though.

  4. Re: Booting Gentoo on Takara

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:20:22 GMT, Jay Maynard
    wrote:
    >Before I give up entirely, though, I plan to install the kernel sources and
    >build one, just to see iere's a config option that needs to be specified.
    >I'm not real hopeful, though.

    Nope. I built a Takara-specific kernel, and it gets the same pernel paging
    panic that all of the prebuilt kernels do.

    I'm coming to the conclusion that 2.4 kernels are broken on Takara. The
    Debian installer's 2.2.20 kernel runs just fine...but nothing else I've
    tried does.

+ Reply to Thread