Real Player 8 - Linux

This is a discussion on Real Player 8 - Linux ; Hi, does anyone know abaout a RealPlayer 8.x available for Debian/Alpha? On real.com's Download Site there's only a 7.x for Debian/Alpha but a 8.x for RedHat/Alpha. Unfortunately the RedHat "Installer" quits with a Segmentation Fault under Debian (why? is AlphaLinux ...

  1. Real Player 8

    Hi,

    does anyone know abaout a RealPlayer 8.x available for Debian/Alpha?
    On real.com's Download Site there's only a 7.x for Debian/Alpha but a
    8.x for RedHat/Alpha. Unfortunately the RedHat "Installer" quits with a
    Segmentation Fault under Debian (why? is AlphaLinux != AlphaLinux ???).
    Are there any OpenSource alternatives for RealPlayer?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Real Player 8

    weidner wrote:
    > Hi,

    > does anyone know abaout a RealPlayer 8.x available for Debian/Alpha?
    > On real.com's Download Site there's only a 7.x for Debian/Alpha but a
    > 8.x for RedHat/Alpha. Unfortunately the RedHat "Installer" quits with a
    > Segmentation Fault under Debian (why? is AlphaLinux != AlphaLinux ???).
    > Are there any OpenSource alternatives for RealPlayer?

    Try MPlayer, www.mplayerhq.hu

    Download source and codecs for RP8/Alpha, works fine.

  3. Re: Real Player 8

    Juhana Paavola writes:

    >> does anyone know abaout a RealPlayer 8.x available for Debian/Alpha?
    >> On real.com's Download Site there's only a 7.x for Debian/Alpha but a
    >> 8.x for RedHat/Alpha. Unfortunately the RedHat "Installer" quits with a
    >> Segmentation Fault under Debian (why? is AlphaLinux != AlphaLinux ???).
    >> Are there any OpenSource alternatives for RealPlayer?

    > Try MPlayer, www.mplayerhq.hu
    >
    > Download source and codecs for RP8/Alpha, works fine.

    Is it working now? Last I tried it on an Alpha I got an instantaneous
    segmentation fault caused by bad programming style. I started fixing
    the bugs, but found out it was easier to write a new player from
    scratch.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  4. Re: Real Player 8

    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > Is it working now? Last I tried it on an Alpha I got an instantaneous
    > segmentation fault caused by bad programming style. I started fixing
    > the bugs, but found out it was easier to write a new player from
    > scratch.

    I tested it with few streams and it played them.
    Didn't get segfaults or anything problem.

    And I didn't tried it with gcc 2.95.x, only gcc3.3.1.
    Debian Unstable.

  5. Re: Real Player 8

    Juhana Paavola writes:

    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> Is it working now? Last I tried it on an Alpha I got an instantaneous
    >> segmentation fault caused by bad programming style. I started fixing
    >> the bugs, but found out it was easier to write a new player from
    >> scratch.

    > I tested it with few streams and it played them.
    > Didn't get segfaults or anything problem.
    >
    > And I didn't tried it with gcc 2.95.x, only gcc3.3.1.

    The compiler version isn't important. I remember seeing several cases
    of pointer to int casts and back. Several of these were in the
    realvideo code. Another one caused segfault if I tried to change the
    volume.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se