Anyone help with sound?? - Linux

This is a discussion on Anyone help with sound?? - Linux ; Hey All, I'm somewhat of an Alpha newbie, but successfully installed Debian Woody and love the machine. Works beautifully, very reliable. I have search for information on this but only found a few scant mentions. It's a: LX164 533 Mhz ...

  1. Anyone help with sound??

    Hey All,

    I'm somewhat of an Alpha newbie, but successfully installed Debian Woody and
    love the machine. Works beautifully, very reliable. I have search for
    information on this but only found a few scant mentions.

    It's a:

    LX164
    533 Mhz
    512 Ram
    IntraServer 4140a-uw with 7 IBM 9.1.

    Running 2.4.24 with Woody Basics.

    I'm trying to get a sound card to work, I've installed an Ensoniq Audio PCI,
    the es1371 module loads with no complaint, log shows found chips, get IRQ/IO
    params fine, but when I attempt to use sound it freezes HARD, just goes to
    pieces and I have to drop it back to SRM and restart from there. It freezes
    with XMMS, but mpg123 starts up okay, but never plays anything - doesn't
    even claim to be playing, just sits at 0:00. I experimented with "cat >
    /dev/dsp" and "cat > /dev/sound" without any encouraging results.

    I did notice it gets IRQ 16 - could this be a problem? I don't know that I
    can force es1371.o to use a different irq.

    Anyone had any luck with this card, or is it in my best interests to try
    something else? any suggestions? I have an ISA Yamaha OPL-sa3 card I could
    try - is the ISA side really supported? I don't need anything fancy, just
    something to sound the alarm if something is failing and to remind admin to
    change dds3 tape and clean tape drive.

    Thank you for any kind words.
    -Graham

  2. Re: Anyone help with sound??

    In article , Graham Payne wrote:

    > I'm somewhat of an Alpha newbie, but successfully installed Debian Woody and
    > love the machine. Works beautifully, very reliable. I have search for
    > information on this but only found a few scant mentions.
    >
    > It's a:
    >
    > LX164
    > 533 Mhz
    > 512 Ram
    > IntraServer 4140a-uw with 7 IBM 9.1.
    >
    > Running 2.4.24 with Woody Basics.
    >
    > I'm trying to get a sound card to work, I've installed an Ensoniq Audio PCI,
    > the es1371 module loads with no complaint, log shows found chips, get IRQ/IO
    > params fine, but when I attempt to use sound it freezes HARD, just goes to
    > pieces and I have to drop it back to SRM and restart from there. It freezes
    > with XMMS, but mpg123 starts up okay, but never plays anything - doesn't
    > even claim to be playing, just sits at 0:00. I experimented with "cat >
    > /dev/dsp" and "cat > /dev/sound" without any encouraging results.
    >
    > I did notice it gets IRQ 16 - could this be a problem? I don't know that I
    > can force es1371.o to use a different irq.
    >
    > Anyone had any luck with this card, or is it in my best interests to try
    > something else? any suggestions? I have an ISA Yamaha OPL-sa3 card I could
    > try - is the ISA side really supported? I don't need anything fancy, just
    > something to sound the alarm if something is failing and to remind admin to
    > change dds3 tape and clean tape drive.

    I'm fairly sure that's the sound card I used in my UP2000
    with Redhat 6.1-7.2. In some of the earlier versions, I
    think I had to use the ALSA drivers to get it to work, but I
    don't believe I had any issues with it locking up the
    machine. Of course, with your different kernel version,
    nothing's guaranteed to be the same.

    One question is whether you are sure it locks up the machine
    or just the X server and/or keyboard and graphics. Can you
    still ping the machine or contact it in other ways over the
    network? Do any serial ports still work?

    One issue I had with my similar card, and it may be a
    hardware problem specific to my card instance, is it would
    not record any values above about 0.750 of full scale. It
    appeared to be an issue with the A/D converter rather than
    the analog front end.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Anyone help with sound??

    "Robert M. Riches Jr." wrote in message
    > In article , Graham Payne wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm somewhat of an Alpha newbie, but successfully installed Debian Woody

    and
    > > love the machine. Works beautifully, very reliable. I have search for
    > > information on this but only found a few scant mentions.
    > >
    > > It's a:
    > >
    > > LX164
    > > 533 Mhz
    > > 512 Ram
    > > IntraServer 4140a-uw with 7 IBM 9.1.
    > >
    > > Running 2.4.24 with Woody Basics.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to get a sound card to work, I've installed an Ensoniq Audio

    PCI,
    > > the es1371 module loads with no complaint, log shows found chips, get

    IRQ/IO
    > > params fine, but when I attempt to use sound it freezes HARD, just goes

    > > pieces and I have to drop it back to SRM and restart from there. It

    freezes
    > > with XMMS, but mpg123 starts up okay, but never plays anything - doesn't
    > > even claim to be playing, just sits at 0:00. I experimented with "cat >
    > > /dev/dsp" and "cat > /dev/sound" without any encouraging results.
    > >
    > > I did notice it gets IRQ 16 - could this be a problem? I don't know that

    > > can force es1371.o to use a different irq.
    > >
    > > Anyone had any luck with this card, or is it in my best interests to try
    > > something else? any suggestions? I have an ISA Yamaha OPL-sa3 card I

    could
    > > try - is the ISA side really supported? I don't need anything fancy,

    just
    > > something to sound the alarm if something is failing and to remind admin

    > > change dds3 tape and clean tape drive.

    > I'm fairly sure that's the sound card I used in my UP2000
    > with Redhat 6.1-7.2. In some of the earlier versions, I
    > think I had to use the ALSA drivers to get it to work, but I
    > don't believe I had any issues with it locking up the
    > machine. Of course, with your different kernel version,
    > nothing's guaranteed to be the same.
    >
    > One question is whether you are sure it locks up the machine
    > or just the X server and/or keyboard and graphics. Can you
    > still ping the machine or contact it in other ways over the
    > network? Do any serial ports still work?
    >
    > One issue I had with my similar card, and it may be a
    > hardware problem specific to my card instance, is it would
    > not record any values above about 0.750 of full scale. It
    > appeared to be an issue with the A/D converter rather than
    > the analog front end.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Robert Riches
    > spamtrap42@verizon.net
    > (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

    Thanks for the info Robert, much appreciated,

    I'll give the alsa system a go, I've had good luck with it before.

    I am very sure the system LOCKED, no response from the console, no response
    to pings, nothing, I was forced to hit the reset switch, tried ctrl-alt-del,
    ctrl-alt-F1 at console, the tulip network module went down, lost link light.

    I'm not too worried about recording on this machine, although I'd love to
    play with Ardour and JACK. It's primarily to alert whoever is present to put
    in a new backup tape.

    I know I could just echo a BEL, that isn't as neat. And I want a
    personalized message, something like "Hey Asshat, quit browing and change my
    tape!".

+ Reply to Thread