4/233 linux ? - Linux

This is a discussion on 4/233 linux ? - Linux ; Just received as a here you can use this , seems ok , now how do I get Linux installed ?. and which linux ?. I have Mandrake installed on a couple of other machines here . Tnx in anticipation ...

  1. 4/233 linux ?

    Just received as a here you can use this , seems ok , now how do I get
    Linux installed ?.
    and which linux ?.
    I have Mandrake installed on a couple of other machines here .
    Tnx in anticipation

  2. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    "atec77" <"atec77(nospam)"@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Just received as a here you can use this , seems ok , now how do I get
    > Linux installed ?.
    > and which linux ?.
    > I have Mandrake installed on a couple of other machines here .
    > Tnx in anticipation

    Get Debian Alpha, I have it running on a Alpha Station 400 4/233 right here.

    9 GB scsi hd
    64 mb ram

  3. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    Conny wrote:

    > "atec77" <"atec77(nospam)"@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Just received as a here you can use this , seems ok , now how do I get
    > > Linux installed ?.
    > > and which linux ?.
    > > I have Mandrake installed on a couple of other machines here .
    > > Tnx in anticipation
    > > B>

    > Get Debian Alpha, I have it running on a Alpha Station 400 4/233 right here.
    >
    > 9 GB scsi hd
    > 64 mb ram

    debian.. mmm Ill think about it..:_)
    I know nothing about these machines , I presume they cd boot ?.

  4. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    atec77 wrote:

    > Conny wrote:
    > >
    > > "atec77" <"atec77(nospam)"@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > Just received as a here you can use this , seems ok , now how do I get
    > > > Linux installed ?.
    > > > and which linux ?.
    > > > I have Mandrake installed on a couple of other machines here .
    > > > Tnx in anticipation
    > > > B>

    > > Get Debian Alpha, I have it running on a Alpha Station 400 4/233 right here.
    > >
    > > 9 GB scsi hd
    > > 64 mb ram

    > debian.. mmm Ill think about it..:_)
    > I know nothing about these machines , I presume they cd boot ?.

    You'll want to google the comp.os.vms and comp.sys.dec groups for info
    on Alpha machines. Both groups have folks more than willing to
    contribute to your efforts.

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

  5. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    Most DECS CD boot NT / RC3 2000, Alpha version of course, only, at
    least the ones I have seen. You will need a milo boot disk for your
    machine type. I have a 164LX and use ARC, you'll probably be using SRM
    and aboot. I have an optical drive that I loaded my basedebs, boot
    floppys, drivers and some other tarball (that's a funny word, TAR BALLS)
    onto. I booted from the milo boot disk, booted linux.bin off the
    optical and it ran almost flawlessly from there, it wanted the tar files
    in certain dorectories so with some creative mouting and moving of the
    files I got it to pick up on them. Once installed I used dselect and
    got the debian updates, then I dled / compiled 2.4.23, then I made the
    switch to Debian testing tree by modifying /ect/apt/preferences and
    apt.sources.

    alot of people give up. But out of all the X86 linux guys I persoanlly
    know, I'ld say 1 of them could load up an Alpha, the rest would commit
    suicide. Linux on anything after that is a breeze, except of course
    maybe the AS/400 / iSeries.

    atec77 wrote:

    > debian.. mmm Ill think about it..:_)
    > I know nothing about these machines , I presume they cd boot ?.

  6. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    retorq wrote:

    > alot of people give up.

    Eh? I personally installed Linux on many Alpha machines and this hardly
    qualifies as a bigger achivement than installing Linux on anything else.
    It is true that there is a list of hardware/firmware variations
    which may require specific kinds of bootloaders but once that is
    sorted out things normally are easy. Even with that using stuff
    from ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedH...pha/HPWrapper/
    on few tries I had an opportunity to see made an installation utterly
    trivial.

    Michal

  7. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    Michal Jaegermann wrote:

    > retorq wrote:

    > > alot of people give up.

    > Eh? I personally installed Linux on many Alpha machines and this hardly
    > qualifies as a bigger achivement than installing Linux on anything else.
    > It is true that there is a list of hardware/firmware variations
    > which may require specific kinds of bootloaders but once that is
    > sorted out things normally are easy. Even with that using stuff
    > from ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedH...pha/HPWrapper/
    > on few tries I had an opportunity to see made an installation utterly
    > trivial.
    >
    > Michal

    Well I will try that iso , atm I get a post , some info and then a
    cursor at a blue screen , not really informative is it :_)

  8. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    Really this is true in my case also. Sometimes Linux is harder to
    install on a i386 based hardware than alpha. Depends on many different
    factors. With i386 having tons of different hardware combinations it
    is harder for the distribution vendors to get things right.

    Good luck but the message is install on alpha is not hard at all.

    Alan

    Michal> retorq wrote:

    >> alot of people give up.

    Michal> Eh? I personally installed Linux on many Alpha machines and this hardly
    Michal> qualifies as a bigger achivement than installing Linux on anything else.
    Michal> It is true that there is a list of hardware/firmware variations
    Michal> which may require specific kinds of bootloaders but once that is
    Michal> sorted out things normally are easy. Even with that using stuff
    Michal> from ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedH...pha/HPWrapper/
    Michal> on few tries I had an opportunity to see made an installation utterly
    Michal> trivial.

    Michal> Michal

  9. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    atec77> Well I will try that iso , atm I get a post , some info and then a
    atec77> cursor at a blue screen , not really informative is it :_)

    Type "help" without the quotes.

    That should get you started. search google for "srm" for more details.

    Good luck.

  10. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    atec77 <"atec77(nospam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Well I will try that iso , atm I get a post , some info and then a
    > cursor at a blue screen , not really informative is it :_)

    Are you jocking, right?

    Ciao
    Marco

  11. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    > Michal Jaegermann wrote:
    > >
    > > retorq wrote:

    seen
    > > > alot of people give up.

    > > Eh? I personally installed Linux on many Alpha machines and this hardly
    > > qualifies as a bigger achivement than installing Linux on anything else.
    > > It is true that there is a list of hardware/firmware variations
    > > which may require specific kinds of bootloaders but once that is
    > > sorted out things normally are easy. Even with that using stuff
    > > from ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedH...pha/HPWrapper/
    > > on few tries I had an opportunity to see made an installation utterly
    > > trivial.
    > >
    > > Michal

    > Well I will try that iso , atm I get a post , some info and then a
    > cursor at a blue screen , not really informative is it :_)

    If the SCSI id's is correct boot from the CD with:

    first see if the cd-drive is on id 4
    >>>show dev

    Will display something like:

    dka0 Harddrive
    dka4 CD-ROM

    boot from cd-rom:
    >>>boot dka4

    Make shure you get the partitioning correct, there is some info for it on
    various pages if you Google for it.

  12. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    "Marco Viola" skrev i meddelandet
    > atec77 <"atec77(nospam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > Well I will try that iso , atm I get a post , some info and then a
    > > cursor at a blue screen , not really informative is it :_)

    > Are you jocking, right?
    >
    > Ciao
    > Marco

    He's not joking, the command 'help' will show all availible commands in the
    SRM console.

  13. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    "Conny" writes:

    > "Marco Viola" skrev i meddelandet
    >> atec77 <"atec77(nospam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> > Well I will try that iso , atm I get a post , some info and then a
    >> > cursor at a blue screen , not really informative is it :_)

    >> Are you jocking, right?
    >>
    >> Ciao
    >> Marco

    > He's not joking, the command 'help' will show all availible commands in the
    > SRM console.

    And "man foo | more" will display help for the command "foo". Try ls
    and ps for fun. Or why not run some commands in the background?

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  14. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    Conny wrote:

    > "Marco Viola" skrev i meddelandet
    >> atec77 <"atec77(nospam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > He's not joking, the command 'help' will show all availible commands in the
    > SRM console.

    Oh, really?

    Ciao
    Marco

  15. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    Marco Viola wrote:

    > Conny wrote:
    >
    > > "Marco Viola" skrev i meddelandet
    > >> atec77 <"atec77(nospam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > He's not joking, the command 'help' will show all availible commands in the
    > > SRM console.

    > Oh, really?

    Yes, really! The help text looks like manpages on many Alpha SRM
    consoles.

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

  16. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    David J. Dachtera wrote:
    > Marco Viola wrote:
    >>
    >> Conny wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Marco Viola" skrev i meddelandet

    >> > He's not joking, the command 'help' will show all availible commands in the
    >> > SRM console.

    >> Oh, really?

    > Yes, really! The help text looks like manpages on many Alpha SRM
    > consoles.

    [lack of humour around the world, it seems, and, on my side,
    on/off switch forgotten somewhere]

    Yes, I know. From years of alpha ownership.

    Perhaps I'm not allowed to use my not so fluent english
    reading/writing to joke on the stupid assertions made some post above
    about "... I presume they cd boot" and "... a blue screen, not really
    informative is it :_)"

    Ciao
    Marco

  17. Re: 4/233 linux ?

    Marco Viola wrote:
    > David J. Dachtera wrote:
    >
    >>Marco Viola wrote:

    >>>Oh, really?

    >>Yes, really! The help text looks like manpages on many Alpha SRM
    >>consoles.

    > [lack of humour around the world, it seems, and, on my side,
    > on/off switch forgotten somewhere]
    >
    > Yes, I know. From years of alpha ownership.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm not allowed to use my not so fluent english
    > reading/writing to joke on the stupid assertions made some post above
    > about "... I presume they cd boot" and "... a blue screen, not really
    > informative is it :_)"
    >
    > Ciao
    > Marco

    Your english is fine, your joke was much appreciated, your cynical
    response was in my mind when I read the questions! Great response!
    we need humor!
    bob

+ Reply to Thread