DMA not working with PDC20269 - Linux

This is a discussion on DMA not working with PDC20269 - Linux ; Hi, After compiling kernel 2.4.23 on Debian 3.0 my Promise TX2 Ultra133 (20269) ATA adapter is detected as ide2. However, the kernel cannot enable DMA on the attached Maxtor 250GB (7Y250P0) ATA disk. I am pretty sure it is not ...

  1. DMA not working with PDC20269

    Hi,

    After compiling kernel 2.4.23 on Debian 3.0 my Promise TX2 Ultra133
    (20269) ATA adapter is detected as ide2. However, the kernel cannot enable
    DMA on the attached Maxtor 250GB (7Y250P0) ATA disk. I am pretty sure it
    is not a cable issue. I know of someone else who gets the same errors with
    the same card and a different drive (tested using several UDMA-capable
    cables).

    [...]
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde: Maxtor 7Y250P0, ATA DISK drive
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: blk: queue fffffc00006670d0, no I/O memory limit
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: ide2 at 0x200008010-0x200008017,0x200008022 on irq 47
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde: attached ide-disk driver.
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde: host protected area => 1
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde: 490234752 sectors (251000 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=30515/255/63, UDMA(133)
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hda: attached ide-cdrom driver.
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hda: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: Partition check:
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde:<4>hde: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde: error waiting for DMA
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde: dma timeout retry: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde: dma timeout retry: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    Dec 22 16:51:49 magellan kernel: hde3 hde4
    [...]

    I searched Usenet archives and found only references to bad/overlong
    cables and unsupported DMA in the driver. I guess DMA is supported in this
    driver so I'm puzzled.

    I compiled out DMA from the kernel. No errors on boot (with PIO mode)
    afterwards. I *am* able to use ``hdparm -X66 -d1'' to enable UDMA2 mode
    manually at that point. So far this seems to work without error (after
    some basic testing). (FWIW I found tweaking DMA with hdparm this way on a
    mounted fs leads to the errors above. Unmounted, it is ok.)

    Perhaps I should try a bleeding edge kernel? Or, is it sufficent, do you
    guess, to add hdparm commands to my rc.local?

  2. Re: DMA not working with PDC20269

    Erick> Hi, After compiling kernel 2.4.23 on Debian 3.0 my Promise TX2
    Erick> Ultra133 (20269) ATA adapter is detected as ide2. However, the
    Erick> kernel cannot enable DMA on the attached Maxtor 250GB
    Erick> (7Y250P0) ATA disk. I am pretty sure it is not a cable issue.
    Erick> I know of someone else who gets the same errors with the same
    Erick> card and a different drive (tested using several UDMA-capable
    Erick> cables).

    Erick> I searched Usenet archives and found only references to
    Erick> bad/overlong cables and unsupported DMA in the driver. I guess
    Erick> DMA is supported in this driver so I'm puzzled.

    Check out this groups archives this issue has been discussed in depth.
    Go to google groups advanced search, and search on promise in this
    group.

    Erick> I compiled out DMA from the kernel. No errors on boot (with
    Erick> PIO mode) afterwards. I *am* able to use ``hdparm -X66 -d1''
    Erick> to enable UDMA2 mode manually at that point. So far this seems
    Erick> to work without error (after some basic testing). (FWIW I
    Erick> found tweaking DMA with hdparm this way on a mounted fs leads
    Erick> to the errors above. Unmounted, it is ok.)

    A real hack but hay it works.

    Erick> Perhaps I should try a bleeding edge kernel? Or, is it
    Erick> sufficent, do you guess, to add hdparm commands to my
    Erick> rc.local?

    Not really this is a known problem with promise controllers and alpha
    boxes. Because IDE controllers are so cheap no one has really tried to
    figure out if it is a cable problem, hardware incompatiblity, or
    driver bug. I had the exact same error message when trying to use
    a promise controller. I switch to a silicon image controller and have
    not had any problems. Running raid1 with two 160Gig drives. Someone
    else in the group has had success with highpoint controllers. The
    silicon image controller was half the price of the promise controller.

    Good luck.

  3. Re: DMA not working with PDC20269

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:22:00 -0600, Spam Me Please wrote:

> [...]

    [snip]
    > Erick> PIO mode) afterwards. I *am* able to use ``hdparm -X66 -d1''
    > Erick> to enable UDMA2 mode manually at that point. So far this seems

    [snip]
    > Erick> Perhaps I should try a bleeding edge kernel? Or, is it

    [snip]
    > Not really this is a known problem with promise controllers and alpha
    > boxes. Because IDE controllers are so cheap no one has really tried to
    > figure out if it is a cable problem, hardware incompatiblity, or driver
    > bug. I had the exact same error message when trying to use a promise
    > controller. I switch to a silicon image controller and have not had any

    I think you use RAID adapter... are you aware of a vanilla SI parallel ATA
    adapter that might work (with Debian)? (BTW, just for fun, I compiled
    2.6.0, but boot failed.)

  4. Re: DMA not working with PDC20269

    Erick> [snip] PIO mode) afterwards. I *am* able to use ``hdparm -X66
    Erick> -d1'' to enable UDMA2 mode manually at that point. So far this
    Erick> seems [snip] Perhaps I should try a bleeding edge kernel? Or,
    Erick> is it [snip]
    >> Not really this is a known problem with promise controllers and
    >> alpha boxes. Because IDE controllers are so cheap no one has
    >> really tried to figure out if it is a cable problem, hardware
    >> incompatiblity, or driver bug. I had the exact same error message
    >> when trying to use a promise controller. I switch to a silicon
    >> image controller and have not had any

    Erick> I think you use RAID adapter... are you aware of a vanilla SI
    Erick> parallel ATA adapter that might work (with Debian)? (BTW, just
    Erick> for fun, I compiled 2.6.0, but boot failed.)

    You are correct I have the raid adapter, but don't use the raid stuff.
    Anyway the raid on these cards is an hybrid software/bios that is
    really not that fast. So that is why these cards are so cheap.
    Actually the raid SI version was cheaper than vanilla promise version.
    I have not seen a vanilla (non-raid) SI card.

    Here is the information from the Linux kernel docs:

    Linux Kernel v2.4.23 Configuration
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
    lqqqqqqqqqqqq Support for IDE Raid controllers (EXPERIMENTAL) qqqqqqqqqqqqk
    x CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID: x
    x x
    x Say Y or M if you have an IDE Raid controller and want linux x
    x to use its softwareraid feature. You must also select an x
    x appropriate for your board low-level driver below. x
    x x
    x Note, that Linux does not use the Raid implementation in BIOS, and x
    x the main purpose for this feature is to retain compatibility and x
    x data integrity with other OS-es, using the same disk array. Linux x
    x has its own Raid drivers, which you should use if you need better x
    x performance. x
    x x
    x This driver is also available as a module ( = code which can be x
    x inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want). x
    x If you want to compile it as a module, say M here and read x
    x Documentation/modules.txt. The module will be called ataraid.o

  5. Re: DMA not working with PDC20269

    Erick writes:

    >> Not really this is a known problem with promise controllers and alpha
    >> boxes. Because IDE controllers are so cheap no one has really tried to
    >> figure out if it is a cable problem, hardware incompatiblity, or driver
    >> bug. I had the exact same error message when trying to use a promise
    >> controller. I switch to a silicon image controller and have not had any

    > I think you use RAID adapter... are you aware of a vanilla SI parallel ATA
    > adapter that might work (with Debian)? (BTW, just for fun, I compiled
    > 2.6.0, but boot failed.)

    Those are software fakeraid, so it doesn't really make a difference.
    My Highpoint is also of that kind. I use Linux software raid instead.

    As for 2.6.0, it works fine on my SX164. I've been running 2.5
    kernels on my Miata for a long time.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  6. Re: DMA not working with PDC20269

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:28:47 -0600, Spam Me Please wrote:

> [...]

    [snip]
    > Erick> I think you use RAID adapter... are you aware of a vanilla SI
    > Erick> parallel ATA adapter that might work (with Debian)? [snip]
    >
    > You are correct I have the raid adapter, but don't use the raid stuff.
    > Anyway the raid on these cards is an hybrid software/bios that is really
    > not that fast. So that is why these cards are so cheap. Actually the
    > raid SI version was cheaper than vanilla promise version. I have not
    > seen a vanilla (non-raid) SI card.

    [snip]

    May I ask if you are using Silicon Image model# "CCD-SD-SIL680-RAID"
    (SIL680)?

    My ultimate purpose is to insert the 3 300GB Maxtor drives I just received
    into my DP264 (as JBOD). However, I guess if I really want to be smart
    about I should return those parallel ATA drives and get the new 250GB SATA
    Maxtors. (I guess I should use the Highpoint "Rocket RAID 1540" for that.)

  7. Re: DMA not working with PDC20269

    Erick writes:

    > My ultimate purpose is to insert the 3 300GB Maxtor drives I just received
    > into my DP264 (as JBOD). However, I guess if I really want to be smart
    > about I should return those parallel ATA drives and get the new 250GB SATA
    > Maxtors. (I guess I should use the Highpoint "Rocket RAID 1540" for that.)

    I'm using a Highpoint RocketRAID 1540 with parallel Seagate drives in
    an SX164. No problems there.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  8. Re: DMA not working with PDC20269

    Erick> [snip] I think you use RAID adapter... are you aware of a
    Erick> vanilla SI parallel ATA adapter that might work (with Debian)?
    Erick> [snip]
    >> You are correct I have the raid adapter, but don't use the raid
    >> stuff. Anyway the raid on these cards is an hybrid software/bios
    >> that is really not that fast. So that is why these cards are so
    >> cheap. Actually the raid SI version was cheaper than vanilla
    >> promise version. I have not seen a vanilla (non-raid) SI card.

    Erick> [snip]

    Erick> May I ask if you are using Silicon Image model#
    Erick> "CCD-SD-SIL680-RAID" (SIL680)?

    Erick> My ultimate purpose is to insert the 3 300GB Maxtor drives I
    Erick> just received into my DP264 (as JBOD). However, I guess if I
    Erick> really want to be smart about I should return those parallel
    Erick> ATA drives and get the new 250GB SATA Maxtors. (I guess I
    Erick> should use the Highpoint "Rocket RAID 1540" for that.)

    Looks like the same model.

    lspci -v shows this
    02:09.0 RAID bus controller: CMD Technology Inc PCI0680 (rev 02)
    Subsystem: CMD Technology Inc: Unknown device 3680

    Here is my previous post on this matter in detail.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sp...ast.net&rnum=1

    Good luck and let us know if this works!

+ Reply to Thread