Hi, I have an alphastation 255, and have a 'working' instalation of
debian on it. I'm relatively new to linux.
However, when i startx i get the top half of the screen blank, and the
bottom half of the screen shows some kde stuff in a very low
resolution. I have tried using a TRIO64 card, and a s3 Virge/DX with
appropriate changes to the Xfree86config-4 file.

I don't have network access running on it correctly either, so i won't
be able to show the files.

Can anyone give me any guidance on how to get X to startup in the
whole of the screen?

Also, is there a preferred distribution for this particular machine? I
also tried redhat 7.2, but it crashed on bootup, and am thinking about
downloading suse 8.1.

thanks,
Roger