Q: mjpegtools, etc - Linux

This is a discussion on Q: mjpegtools, etc - Linux ; Hi. Have anybody here some experience how the mjpegtools run on alpha? I tried to build some of them, but it seems, that those tools are mostly optimized for IA32. Also I have some problems building those packages. Is there ...

  1. Q: mjpegtools, etc

    Hi.

    Have anybody here some experience how the mjpegtools run on alpha? I
    tried to build some of them, but it seems, that those tools are mostly
    optimized for IA32. Also I have some problems building those packages.

    Is there an alternative on alpha to reencode a MPEG stream into a
    (S)VCD compatible MPEG stream?

    TIA

    Torsten
    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff
    70190 Stuttgart

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

  2. Re: Q: mjpegtools, etc

    Torsten Zirzlaff writes:

    > Have anybody here some experience how the mjpegtools run on alpha? I
    > tried to build some of them, but it seems, that those tools are mostly
    > optimized for IA32. Also I have some problems building those packages.

    That's right. Those are rather heavily optimized using intel
    assembler.

    > Is there an alternative on alpha to reencode a MPEG stream into a
    > (S)VCD compatible MPEG stream?

    Some people have reported success with ffmpeg, the problems being
    difficulties in maintaining a constant bit rate. If your vcd player
    is forgiving it might work out well.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se