apt on Alpha - Linux

This is a discussion on apt on Alpha - Linux ; Hi, I have downloaded and compiled apt (the advanced package tool) but cannot seem to get the required database support setup. I understand that there is a sources.list file that should reside in /etc/apt which should point to a server ...

  1. apt on Alpha

    Hi,
    I have downloaded and compiled apt (the advanced package tool) but cannot
    seem to get the required database support setup. I understand that there
    is a sources.list file that should reside in /etc/apt which should point
    to a server running either ftp or http daemons, AND have some type of
    hierachy that apt understands for .rpm files.

    Running RH 7.2 for Alpha from the HP (ne Compaq) CDs, rpm 4.0.4. apt is
    from the freshrpms.net/apt Web site.

    Is anyone using this application and have a sources.list file they can
    share (US located server would be most helpful).

    Thanks,
    MAB

  2. Re: apt on Alpha

    Martin Booker wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have downloaded and compiled apt (the advanced package tool) but cannot
    > seem to get the required database support setup. I understand that there
    > is a sources.list file that should reside in /etc/apt which should point
    > to a server running either ftp or http daemons, AND have some type of
    > hierachy that apt understands for .rpm files.

    I'm not using rpm, but debian yes.
    Could it be similar to it, eg. in debian:

    deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

    rpm http://...
    rpm-src http://...

    Just guessing, and have you updated db, apt-get update ?

+ Reply to Thread